• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Nintendo is being too slow on the updates (Real Talk)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I Got a idea for the game. How about we be able to use Nook Miles Ticket to buy stack of Iron or wood or something. Like paying a NPC to find a fish we have issue with or bugs. Or pay Red to find a Rare item we are looking for?

I wish they update red to allow you to buy items at is not found on your island. Like Lightpole of a other color or flowers or stuff at need to be traded with. It Be a Good update when the game is no longer supported or do not have friend to trade with for a color of a lightpole you do not have on your nook pc

Wouldn't that logic apply to everything? I mean, upgrading shops was talked about being an end-game goal, but wouldn't you run out of things to buy just the same? The last upgrade of Nook's has Gracie, but her furniture sets are also limited and you are bound to buy everything from the fabulous giraffe at one point. I'm not denying that yes, more Nook Miles items would be great, I'm saying that eventually you will "run out of content" all the same.

For some people, the fact that the stamp is complete is more than enough of an achievement by itself (and thus, an end goal to pursue).

For the record, my sentiment is not that the game is perfect and can't be improved. But what I'm saying is that the perspective of what makes someone happy with the decisions taken is something that is kind of hard for us to know and to provide facts about it- it may simply boil down to the opportunity cost. And to reach the analysis of that opportunity cost, we need information and data that we don't have (maybe it's data that not even Nintendo has although that's more unlikely). The viewpoint and mentality of the developers is also at play here, and we may agree or not with how the limitation on how the game should be played.

This point of yours: "The sheer number of people that have abandoned the game speaks volumes, unfortunately. And to be fair, many of those that have criticized the game in the past, have simply quit playing." is like always, interesting. Do you have any factual evidence of the number of players who have dropped the game? That sheer number you mention. Even more, do you have any factual evidence comparing it to the number of players who dropped previous games at the same timeframe? To add another thing, don't you think it's normal to see more players dropping the game since the game was/is being played by more people? Another thing, if you are basing the volumes spoken because there are people complaining more on social media, don't you think the bigger presence of social media on 2020 compared to previous entries is also at play here?

Regarding the NM, I replied to another user on this same post.

once again, obligatory disclaimer: no, NH is not perfect, yes NH can be improved. yes, you can voice your opinion.

As far as the Nook Miles are concerned: This is exactly the point I was making before. Getting the stamps because you see it is an achievement is an intrinsic motivation. It doesn't provide any value in the game unlike an upgraded shop that e.g. sells more items or new kinds of items and looks different. Obviously, those upgrades are limited as well. It should be noted that NL also had those stamps in the form of medals. If you only need those stamps, that's fine. But this only speaks to certain kinds of players.

Again, the features fans request today have been requested basically ever since the game's release. Whether the developers want to add those features doesn't change that a lot of people would like to see them. A user-interface update, for instance, was requested A LOT. Sure, that might no be something the developers want to rework, but that doesn't change the fact that it's a valid request.

Of course I don't have statistics about how many players are actively playing the game/have quit playing... Considering the hype around the game has died down compared to last year, though, it's a fair assumption that many players have quit the game. (Yes, it is completely normal for every game to not be able to keep up the hype for such a long time, but that also means that it loses players. Other viral games can keep players for much longer, though. Part of the reason why are multiplayer elements, which are severely lacking in NH and could have been in the game.)
That's not a fair comparison. Games-as-a-service products are supposed to retain players much longer than a game like NL, which wasn't built around that idea. The entire idea of games that are developed like that is to keep players coming back as long as possible.

Again, the game is great for certain player types. But it leaves out others that have enjoyed the predecessors. It's fair for those players to keep asking for features that made those other entries in the series more enjoyable. If the game caters to your style of play, that's absolutely great! But for others, it just doesn't. We would love to see those features. That's really all. I suggest we let this discussion go now. I'm sorry for not stopping earlier, I shouldn't have kept posting here. I absolutely understand that you love the game the way it is and I'm really glad that you feel this way! For me personally though, it lacks some content that I enjoyed in the previous entries and their lack of inclusion drags down my enjoyment of the game.

Let me you ask you something. Are you asking this just because are you tired of hearing my opinion or do you always seem to think I'm negative? I've talked positive things about the game so I am not being negative or complaining. I am just voicing how I feel about the game. I am sorry that you may think that I am "attacking the game" but I am not. Its alright to disagree, but don't get so defensive.
your opinion is fine, but the sheer amount of threads that come off as negative has honestly reached the point of observation where it starts to feel either a bit self-entitled or insincere, especially in the way they tend to be phrased for the latter. of course I don't truly think it's either of these things, but it just has started to come off as such by at least my own readings.

though the fact that you think that I think you're attacking the game or that you think I'm defensive about its faults says far more about yourself than it does me. as neither of these things are even remotely true. in the earlier response or elsewhere

(though if I was to nitpick, the rant thread exists)

your opinion is fine, but the sheer amount of threads that come off as negative has honestly reached the point of observation where it starts to feel either a bit self-entitled or insincere, especially in the way they tend to be phrased for the latter. of course I don't truly think it's either of these things, but it just has started to come off as such by at least my own readings.

though the fact that you think that I think you're attacking the game or that you think I'm defensive about its faults says far more about yourself than it does me. as neither of these things are even remotely true. in the earlier response or elsewhere

(though if I was to nitpick, the rant thread exists)
Listen, I am not hear to start any arguments or cause drama. What I say is my opinion and its fine if you disagree as long as you respect it, but you telling me how the "Sheer amount of threads comes off as negative" is really showing how you don't seem to care what I say but you seem to only call me out whenever I post a thread. I already said what I needed to say. You can say whatever you want, but I am not going to get attacked just for voicing my concerns about the game and what I say is wrong with the game too.

All in all I just hope that New horizons will gradually become a copy paste of new leaf. I want to meet my copy paste is that they just have everything that new leaf has with just a couple sprinkles of new things and stuff to do.

I really miss Brewster and my outdoor Cafe is supposed to hold him wherever and whenever he comes.

like I really like the fact that New horizons has a lot of closed doors that make it look like there's something behind it but it's not. And I am hoping that Brewster shows up in some form or another or we get a gyroid museum. I need more things to collect lol.

it's either that they just really don't want to update this game that much and want to focus more on pocket camp or that they just really like staggering these events to just draw people back in to the game since really once you do stuff in the beginning of the update, there's not a whole lot to do afterwards.

Why would you want something identical to New Leaf though? When you could literally just open up your DS and play the game itself. New Horizons isn't meant to be a second version of New Leaf. It's a completely different game with lots of new features. It will never be exactly like New Leaf. That would honestly just be stupid. I would actually be quite annoyed if New Horizons was exactly the same as New Leaf because where is the fun in that?

If you're craving what was in that game, go and play it. But don't complain that New Horizons isn't the same, because it's not supposed to be. Sorry if I'm being kinda rude, but it annoys me when people say that. What's the point in making a new game in the first place if you're just copy and pasting.

I wouldn’t say they are slow because we had, on average, an update every single month. Also, I think that it’s amazing how much work they are still putting into the game and we should not forget that we paid only once so far, unlike other simulation games where players have been literally robbed for the smallest dlcs. But I can definitely see that the game was not complete when it came out and still isn’t. There is still a lot missing from previous games, starting from Brewster but also small activities, such as the flea market or villagers coming to visit your house. All this small things could be easily implemented in the game and would make such a big difference, at least for old time players who still find in the small basic things what made AC such a great game. New players...I’m not so sure.

We average 1 update per month, which isn't slow in my opinion. The real problem is that some of the the updates feel empty or small, such as Festivale (v1.7), while we've seen some really good ones, such as v1.2, v1.3, and v1.4.
This is exactly my issue with it. The diving and bushes updates really felt like real updates. Now we're just getting a small event where the fun last 20 mins at best, instead of getting something that is more substantial. Heck, even QoL updates would be better since they'd actually make a lasting impact.
Post automatically merged:

I wouldn’t say they are slow because we had, on average, an update every single month. Also, I think that it’s amazing how much work they are still putting into the game and we should not forget that we paid only once so far, unlike other simulation games where players have been literally robbed for the smallest dlcs. But I can definitely see that the game was not complete when it came out and still isn’t. There is still a lot missing from previous games, starting from Brewster but also small activities, such as the flea market or villagers coming to visit your house. All this small things could be easily implemented in the game and would make such a big difference, at least for old time players who still find in the small basic things what made AC such a great game. New players...I’m not so sure.
You're right. It is nice that they realized they sold us an unfinished game and are trying to fix their mistake.

Last edited:
Why would you want something identical to New Leaf though? When you could literally just open up your DS and play the game itself. New Horizons isn't meant to be a second version of New Leaf. It's a completely different game with lots of new features. It will never be exactly like New Leaf. That would honestly just be stupid. I would actually be quite annoyed if New Horizons was exactly the same as New Leaf because where is the fun in that?

If you're craving what was in that game, go and play it. But don't complain that New Horizons isn't the same, because it's not supposed to be. Sorry if I'm being kinda rude, but it annoys me when people say that. What's the point in making a new game in the first place if you're just copy and pasting.
A copy paste of NL no, but AC has some core features that make the game. Fishing and catching bugs, of course, growing flowers and so on are all features that have always been in AC games and should never leave. I don’t want a copy of NL because I didn’t like NL in the first place, but when you have been a dedicated player for other 15 years and you always loved the game, it can make you pretty upset when you realise they have stripped down the core features just to leave a tremendous amount of space to customisation. There must be a better balance, where you have different NPCs and shops, like NL, and the fun of terraforming as well. Too much of one thing and too little of the other it’s not great. The game can be unique without loosing its own “soul”

hmmmm, I think the pacing of the new updates is fine as many others have said we average around one update per month which is something that all of us should have some appreciation for, I myself have not been particularly interested in much of the recent updates' content as I feel they do not necessarily cater to the prospects I have for the game.

personally, my main concerns would be with the quality of life aspects of the game. i definitely think the game could do with some quality of life changes throughout the year and the recent updates, to me, indicate that we are heading in that direction after a year on from the game's initial release. it's important to realise that the developers of the game are listening to us and they, like us, play this game regularly so I'm sure they have picked up on the some of the same issues that we have and I'm sure they appreciate the feedback from the fanbase. they just need time.

as for people's speculative optimism, I do think this is an issue on behalf of some of the fanbase. some people expect too much and when they receive less than what they expected (even when the game is updated every month in some capacity) they get annoyed and even panicky. animal crossing is intended to be a laid-back game, you're meant to take breaks from it (I had a hiatus from August 2020 - January 2021, with some playtime in that period). so I think these people pacing themselves would be the better solution presently speaking.

it can make you pretty upset when you realise they have stripped down the core features just to leave a tremendous amount of space to customisation. There must be a better balance, where you have different NPCs and shops, like NL, and the fun of terraforming as well. Too much of one thing and too little of the other it’s not great. The game can be unique without loosing its own “soul”
Genuine question here.
When you talk about core features being missing, are you talking about charm in the game?
Because like I dont think going to Harriet was a core feature. The core feature was the customisation. The charm was how you got it.
Brewster is not a core feature. It provided no content to the game. It was just charming.
Police station was just a lost and found. We have one of them just without an npc.
I dont think any core feature is missing. You could argue the charm attached to them is though.

to add on, I know that people eager for the likes of Brewster and other NPCs to make a return to the game as they and the features they bring with them are staples of the franchise.

you're allowed to be optimistic about these guys possibly making a return with new features in the future but it's important to keep your expectations in check. they may never return even though the datamines from last year seem to suggest otherwise - I'm somewhat optimistic but I wouldn't be devastated if they didn't come back.

with that said, I really miss Brewster, Pelly, Phyllis, Pete and everyone else! my imagination has went wild with the possibilities for their features and roles in New Horizons, if they were to ever make a return. I'd love to see them again. :blush:

Genuine question here.
When you talk about core features being missing, are you talking about charm in the game?
Because like I dont think going to Harriet was a core feature. The core feature was the customisation. The charm was how you got it.
Brewster is not a core feature. It provided no content to the game. It was just charming.
Police station was just a lost and found. We have one of them just without an npc.
I dont think any core feature is missing. You could argue the charm attached to them is though.
Yes that’s what I meant! Sorry but English is not my first language and sometimes I write things that totally make sense in my own language but they don’t hit the point on English.
I think that NH lacks charm everywhere, from villager personalities to whatever interactions you can have with them. They are not in the game to be your friends, they are just puppets to exhibit on your dream address. So yeah, what NH misses is the charm of previous games. It’s too oriented on looking good and most of the times it feels shallow.

Genuine question here.

I feel like that's it really, people just really miss the old NPCs and the charisma they brought with them. They were core characters for a long time so it's understandable.

As for the café and such, New Horizons is really the game in which players have the creative capabilities of really making those features shine (in terms of design and such) so it's a shame that they're not with us even if they aren't "core features" of the series. in my mind, those buildings could take some elements from what we could do in Happy Home Designer as many of that game's features were implemented into this game. but again, that's just idealism lol

I'm fine with or without

A copy paste of NL no, but AC has some core features that make the game. Fishing and catching bugs, of course, growing flowers and so on are all features that have always been in AC games and should never leave. I don’t want a copy of NL because I didn’t like NL in the first place, but when you have been a dedicated player for other 15 years and you always loved the game, it can make you pretty upset when you realise they have stripped down the core features just to leave a tremendous amount of space to customisation. There must be a better balance, where you have different NPCs and shops, like NL, and the fun of terraforming as well. Too much of one thing and too little of the other it’s not great. The game can be unique without loosing its own “soul”

I do agree with you there. I too miss some of the NPC's that were in past games. I'm not saying that New Horizons isn't missing stuff, I'm just saying I don't want it too be an exact replica of New Leaf as that seems pointless too me. But yes, there is a lot missing and it needs to balanced out more 100%.

I do agree with you there. I too miss some of the NPC's that were in past games. I'm not saying that New Horizons isn't missing stuff, I'm just saying I don't want it too be an exact replica of New Leaf as that seems pointless too me. But yes, there is a lot missing and it needs to balanced out more 100%.
You're right! Nothing's more disheartening than buying the same game twice. I'm hoping in the next year or so, we'll get some main stuff back so NH will be the best AC game.

You can complain about the game but, it gets to a point where it's excessive and just seems like you're being a negative Nancy and nitpicky. To complain about the game constantly and mask it as your "opinion" it starts to make your opinion look like trash thus, it becomes unwanted. You just have to find a way to balance the negative with the positive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back