• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Nintendo is being too slow on the updates (Real Talk)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im also in the middle, waiting for more surprises like real new features never seen before as well as waiting for old stuff to be introduced with a new kick, so although some pp are tired of hearing it im waiting for brewster, katrina etc to come back with new twists but still have the old fashioned flavor.

what i am saying is, although nintendo seems slow in updating/introducing new features and dynamics i feel that they are somewhat hearing the community and are somewhat innovating. When i see; pumpkins been able to be harvested, see bunny day coming back for a second year with a new little extra,the new hairstyle, more design slots etc. These things make me feel that although they are going to take the long rode and make us bite our nails waiting for all this they will eventually deliver

100% agree with this. There has been very little lockdown where I am so I have not had much time at all to play ACNH. As such, I haven't grown bored of the game and have missed some of the events/updates due to time. I can hardly keep up! I think that we are lucky to be getting updates with new and exciting features as often and as frequently as we are. Yes, I would love to see Brewster but I am sure he will come with time. This game has brought a lot of new features to the franchise, let's not forget that and make the best of them rather than looking for what is not there.

All of this being said, I am not looking to invalidate the way that others are feeling. It has been a tough year and we love this series so wanting Nintendo to put some of the beloved features back in soon is perfectly understandable.

Yes! With the previous games we 'consumed' them much slower, so there wasn't any need for quick updates, but since we're on the whole, using this one a lot more we've burnt through it and got burnt out. It's interesting to hear though that with real life still kind of continuing where you are, that it's been a slower experience. If you've played the others, do you find the experience similar to those? :)

I don't think the updates are slow. We are currently on version 1.9, 12 months after launch. Which is an update roughly every 1.3 months.

I think many of us want bigger features in recent updates which perhaps creates the sense things are slow.... #bringbackbrewster....but really we have to give them a bit of a break.

Covid totally turned the world upside down the last year, and no doubt they might've reprioritised some features based on remote working, and moving devs around....it's easy to design and test new items remotely than say add in the Roost or an upgraded Nooks Cranny.

We should also be fairly confident from Datamining many more features are coming, including past favourite characters and upgrades.

It's actually quite nice to have this pace, we can enjoy what we have in the game more and space out our appreciation for what is a beautiful wonderful little bundle of joy :)

For real, OP - in all seriousness, at this point why not just make one personal complaint thread, and update it every day when you think of something new to add? I 100% support you being free to express your opinion and discuss it with others, especially as you're always civil about it, but I feel like it's getting sort of spammy now? I get that you care a great deal for this game, and are sad about the ways it's disappointing you. I get that you really want people to agree with you and commiserate with you. But when there's such a huge volume of near-identical posts it's hard to take them seriously, you know? We all have gripes, and many people agree with you in every respect, but I'd wager that spamming complaint post after complaint post under the guise of 'I can see both sides BUT' isn't going to rally an overwhelmingly positive forum to trash the game with you.
Some of us are kids and some of us have mental problems we deal with so I like to be generous. I am thinking this is one way in life some people can feel like their opinion matters.

I also think the younger gamers are looking at different media than us old folks and are inundated with opinions of everyone and their brother! Who cares! Well, maybe it is a youth thing. They consider "gaming journalism" an actual thing in the world and seek that out so they can have opinions and argue with their friends and their opinions. (Whereas for me, gaming journalism is like the little tv booklets you used to get that told you the synopsis for what would be on TV. Who actually read those? It is entertainment coverage, media analysis, marketing. It really doesn't affect me. I already knew what I was getting with an Animal Crossing game.)

Some people have very little control over their lives right now (can you imagine being young right now, my fellow oldsters? At the mercy of your poor-decision-making parents?). If this is one way they deal with it...well, it's better than the alternatives. 😂

Im gonna be real short on the updates we been getting these past months.

April fools day event has its own special character just like toy day, halloween..etc
The event itself is super fun and it gives great rewards based on new leafs version.

What did new horizons get? A stupid a** whoopie cushion. That itself SAYS enough about the quality of these updates.
I agree with you. Half assed updates that they try to cover in sprinkles so we eat it up without complaints.

Some of us are kids and some of us have mental problems we deal with so I like to be generous. I am thinking this is one way in life some people can feel like their opinion matters.

I also think the younger gamers are looking at different media than us old folks and are inundated with opinions of everyone and their brother! Who cares! Well, maybe it is a youth thing. They consider "gaming journalism" an actual thing in the world and seek that out so they can have opinions and argue with their friends and their opinions. (Whereas for me, gaming journalism is like the little tv booklets you used to get that told you the synopsis for what would be on TV. Who actually read those? It is entertainment coverage, media analysis, marketing. It really doesn't affect me. I already knew what I was getting with an Animal Crossing game.)

Some people have very little control over their lives right now (can you imagine being young right now, my fellow oldsters? At the mercy of your poor-decision-making parents?). If this is one way they deal with it...well, it's better than the alternatives. 😂

Thoughtfully put. A few spammy posts are easy enough to scroll past, and I should probably be more generous about it, as you say. I don't like to assume that posts like these are down to the OP necessarily being a child or having issues with their mental health, though - we can develop very intense attachments to games at any age and under any circumstances, after all. Especially when we're still in the midst of a pandemic with so little else to do! I will admit though, I am glad to be old enough not to have spent the last year living with my parents. Eternal sympathies to those that have been dealing with that!

At the rate we're getting updates (honestly it feels like it's monthly at this point) I feel that NH is doing just fine. Let Nintendo work at their own pace, really. It can't always be how we want, when we want it. In the meantime, that's what other games are for: to play and enjoy and at the same time pass the time away in a fun way; it doesn't always have to be AC.

So far, the updates have been nice surprises (the return of the Sanrio collaboration, new Easter items, etc.) and we ARE getting some QoL improvements, such as the extra custom design slots, but it's little by little and not exactly exactly the stuff we really want, like the Able Sisters shopping cart, Brewster, bulk crafting (maybe one day)

Honestly it's better to just stop expecting a lot of these updates and accept what we do get. Not saying you have to like it, but at least Nintendo is keeping that promise they made around launch about 3 years' worth of updates.

I have to agree that there is no pleasing people. Ever. If you managed to squeeze 1200+ hours of playtime out of a game, I'd say that game was definitely worth that $60 price tag. That goes for all kinds of games, not just AC.

I actually feel the updates have been pretty good (and plentiful) this year already. Festival/mario/sanrio/extra design slots. I'm not super excited by the Mario and Sanrio stuff myself (although I like a few of the items), but lots of people really love it. Plus a lot of people are having fun designing umbrellas with those cool illusions people are making.

I also always have to remind myself that Nintendo are working through a pandemic rn so things will have slowed down somewhat.

I think things will keep getting better. Would it have been nice to have access to some things right away as we did in New Leaf (like Brewster and all the Nook store upgrades)? Yeah, but I think they will come in time. It's certainly a way to incentivise people to revisit the game every so often.

All in all I just hope that New horizons will gradually become a copy paste of new leaf. I want to meet my copy paste is that they just have everything that new leaf has with just a couple sprinkles of new things and stuff to do.

I really miss Brewster and my outdoor Cafe is supposed to hold him wherever and whenever he comes.

like I really like the fact that New horizons has a lot of closed doors that make it look like there's something behind it but it's not. And I am hoping that Brewster shows up in some form or another or we get a gyroid museum. I need more things to collect lol.

it's either that they just really don't want to update this game that much and want to focus more on pocket camp or that they just really like staggering these events to just draw people back in to the game since really once you do stuff in the beginning of the update, there's not a whole lot to do afterwards.

All in all I just hope that New horizons will gradually become a copy paste of new leaf. I want to meet my copy paste is that they just have everything that new leaf has with just a couple sprinkles of new things and stuff to do.

I really miss Brewster and my outdoor Cafe is supposed to hold him wherever and whenever he comes.

like I really like the fact that New horizons has a lot of closed doors that make it look like there's something behind it but it's not. And I am hoping that Brewster shows up in some form or another or we get a gyroid museum. I need more things to collect lol.

it's either that they just really don't want to update this game that much and want to focus more on pocket camp or that they just really like staggering these events to just draw people back in to the game since really once you do stuff in the beginning of the update, there's not a whole lot to do afterwards.

I do understand that many people seem to want this but personally, having new horizons become a copy and paste of new leaf is just what I don’t want!

new leaf still exists, and so I feel like I do not want them to just release the same game over and over in a different skin. I like new horizons existing as it’s own game. (Even if they bring some of the old items back etc I do not what the overall experience to become new leaf 2.0)

after all, if I want, I can still pick up a copy of new leaf and play it.

the update issue I addressed my thoughts on already, so I won’t rehash.

but the pocket camp team is entirely separate from new horizons, so the updates to the two games are unrelated.

Personally, this is the last thing I want. NH has its own charm! If it were a copy/paste of NL, that would be sad in my opinion, since I could just play that on my 3DS.

NH wasn’t designed to be NL 2.0, and personally, I hope it never happens. It has so many new things going for it with its monthly updates, that aside from Brewster and amiibo characters, it doesn’t really need anything else that NL had.

Sorry if this hurts your feelings, but, like me, matt0106, and WaileaNoRei said, there's no point in copying and pasting new leaf into new horizons when you can just play new leaf. New horizons should blossom into its own game and it can has some (and probably will get a little more) stuff from new leaf, but this is new horizons, not new leaf part 2. If Nintendo said it was new leaf part 2, it would have said so in the title.

I'm sorry, but we already basically had a copy/paste of a previous animal crossing* with wild world to city folk, and city folk was far worse off for having little of its own identity because of it

also, new horizons and pocket camp are handled by different development teams, afaik. and my guess on the matter is we only gradually get stuff because they don't want to release everything at once, because they know if they do people will then complain about future updates being lacking. it's the catch-22 of a constantly updating model situation: if you do various consistent small-medium sized updates, people will complain about x thing still not being in; but if you add basically everything up front, then people will complain about future updates being lacking by comparison

*I'm not counting the n64+gamecube games, because those were all basically enhanced ports of the previous release

I wouldn’t call LGTTC/City Folk a port of Wild World, though. It’s got the same basic village setup, and (almost) the same soundtrack... but the visitors are now mostly in the city, they’ve brought back the IRL holidays to replace the fake ones from WW and Chip hosting the fishing tourney, as well as adding a couple of new ones and Nat hosting the Bug-Off... as well as making how villagers work much worse by removing the competition errands, birthday parties and villager pictures, as well as getting rid of all the cute little things like the Message Of The Week, Boondox and the message bottles (although that’s because Contact Mode is gone). There’s also some proto-NL stuff like being able to choose what Nook upgrade is in town based on what you want out of a store, and the town fund. I’d say it’s more “it succeeds where WW failed by having a lot of the cut GC content return, but it fails where WW succeeded by cutting out a lot of the heart” rather than just calling it a port.

It has its own identity, it’s just a bad identity: a kind of garbled mishmash of GC, WW and some stuff pointing towards the future that ultimately NL did a lot better.

I will basically concede and say that it should have had its own unique art style and soundtrack, because the WW style doesn’t look as good in a higher definition and it looks weirdly “smooth” like Pocket Camp does.

However, yeah, I don’t want New Horizons to just be New Leaf again. That game’s very good, and I’ve spent a lot of time with it... but it’s not without its problems, either.

I want some new and interesting stuff, too.

I want them to find new roles for the characters that got replaced that suit them.

Maybe Wendell’s got a food truck now for us to learn cooking DIYs? Maybe Harriet can do Fancy Hair? Maybe the pelicans will come to our island to run an upgraded mail service?

These are all possibilities. We’ve just got to wait for the devs to make them happen.

Saying that: 2.0 UPDATE WHEN, I NEED MORE

(the next update’s probably going to be at the end of April because they appear to have sped up this year?)

I personally dont think the pace of updates is slow, but some of them probably dont feel of significance to you so you ended up feeling like the game is getting updated slower than it really is. I felt somewhat similar to that during some events updates because i dont play them.

I don't think that the pace of updates is too slow, I think the issue is the lack of new content introduced per update. It seems as if fewer features are introduced with every new update (on average). This could be due to them preparing for a late anniversary update, but that's probably wishful thinking. In reality, I guess most of the more content-packed updates in early to mid 2020 were leftovers from the game's development cycle. The content introduced now is probably handled by a small team.

Also, it is fair to compare the updates to Pocket Camp's. Yes, they are handled by two different development teams, but that's hardly an excuse. New Horizons is Nintendo's main Animal Crossing game for its core platform and as such should receive more care than a mobile game that's there to gain new players that ultimately buy a Nintendo console. I hope the pace of the updates picks up in 2021. At this point, New Horizons still feels much more bare bones than New Leaf and I really really hope this changes. The game still has so much potential and it would be a shame if it is wasted.

Reactions: Bui
Also, it is fair to compare the updates to Pocket Camp's. Yes, they are handled by two different development teams, but that's hardly an excuse. New Horizons is Nintendo's main Animal Crossing game for its core platform and as such should receive more care than a mobile game that's there to gain new players that ultimately buy a Nintendo console.
Its a mobile game making development MUCH easier than for a console. Also, the mobile game contains microtransations. Every update is an attempt to get more of the customers cash. With new horizons, it's a one and done payment. They aren't going to get any more money from us.
The two are completely incomparable

I don't think that the pace of updates is too slow, I think the issue is the lack of new content introduced per update. It seems as if fewer features are introduced with every new update (on average). This could be due to them preparing for a late anniversary update, but that's probably wishful thinking. In reality, I guess most of the more content-packed updates in early to mid 2020 were leftovers from the game's development cycle. The content introduced now is probably handled by a small team.

Also, it is fair to compare the updates to Pocket Camp's. Yes, they are handled by two different development teams, but that's hardly an excuse. New Horizons is Nintendo's main Animal Crossing game for its core platform and as such should receive more care than a mobile game that's there to gain new players that ultimately buy a Nintendo console. I hope the pace of the updates picks up in 2021. At this point, New Horizons still feels much more bare bones than New Leaf and I really really hope this changes. The game still has so much potential and it would be a shame if it is wasted.
Personally I feel as the though the opposite with the updates has been happening. The 2021 updates have been receiving MORE content if anything, especially the Mario one and the 1.9 update. Nintendo (in my opinion) has been doing a much better job and rolled out quite a bit for the start of 2021.

Also, as Moritz stated, it’s not just the fact that Pocket Camp is made by different developers. When a game has micro transactions, it’s obviously going to get the bigger treatment since they need to keep bringing in revenue. NH is a single payment, so they aren’t going to push the kind of content that PC gets. Another example is Mario Kart 8 Deluxe vs. Mario Kart Tour. Sure MK8DX is incredibly successful and popular, but since it’s a one-and-done payment, it’s not receiving the kind of updates and character/track roster that MKT has been getting. Mobile games and Console games are VASTLY different and always have been. The odds of any console game receiving the same treatment as a mobile game, without having micro transactions, is incredibly thin.

Its a mobile game making development MUCH easier than for a console. Also, the mobile game contains microtransations. Every update is an attempt to get more of the customers cash. With new horizons, it's a one and done payment. They aren't going to get any more money from us.
The two are completely incomparable

That's not necessarily true. Yes, for an indie developer, it is much easier to write a mobile game than a console one. I'm a game developer myself and working on a farming/life sim like this, so I can share a little bit of my experience if that's okay:) But Nintendo is developing games for their own hardware using their own game engine. They basically have full control over their platform and access to in-house resources. More importantly, the core-game is already done. There are already certain workflows in place to add new events, visitors and shops. Adding more content on that front is (comparatively) quick to do. In my game, I also have a workflow in place to add new decorations. It takes me around 15 minutes to add a ~50 new decorations. Of course, this is probably more complex in NH, but considering how long it takes to design and program the underlying system, it's really not much. For events, it's more complex and depends much more on the festival. But the general idea of adding a character, which visits at a certain time, requests something in particular and gives you items as rewards, it always the same or at least similar. Basic features that are requested by us like UI-improvements, unbreakable tools and so forth wouldn't require as much work either - certainly not a year.

You're absolutely right that new updates for Pocket Camp bring players back to spend more money. But Nintendo decided to use the same games-as-a-service approach for NH, basically deciding to take the same route for NH (minus the in-App purchases). Bringing players back to NH is important for the game as well. NH is a game that's very well suited for talking about it on social media. If players come back and enjoy the game, they will also post about it on social media, which is basically free advertisement.

The odds of any console game receiving the same treatment as a mobile game, without having micro transactions, is incredibly thin.
Yes, absolutely. I'm not asking for Nintendo to treat the game like a mobile game and release tons of new features every couple of weeks. I was trying to say that Nintendo could absolutely deliver all the features that the game lacks but doesn't make the effort. The underlying issue is that after one year, the game isn't even close to what New Leaf provided in terms of content. I'm a huge fan of that game and have been waiting years for a new entry in the series (since the Wii U). Sure, the game is its own thing. But it lacks so many features and includes some really questionable design choices, which just makes it really disappointing, especially as many could be fixed relatively easily and quickly.
Also, we should keep in mind that Nintendo deliberately held back content to later release them as updates. They planned this before/while developing the game. The entire idea of games-as-a-service is centered around the fact that you can release a game with a lack of major features and later release them as updates. It's not as if Nintendo is spending extra time on the game. They gave us an unfinished product and are now finishing it. For us players, this can have the benefit of the developer integrating community feedback and extending the replay value by constantly adding new interesting ideas that want you to keep coming back.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back