• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

on what basis do you choose your villagers?

on what basis do you choose your villagers?

• lawful good (diverse personalities)

Votes: 74 53.6%
  • neutral good (nostalgia)

Votes: 31 22.5%
  • chaotic good (vibes)

Votes: 31 22.5%
  • lawful neutral (you have their amiibo)

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • true neutral (design)

Votes: 82 59.4%
  • chaotic neutral (goofiness)

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • lawful evil (resale value)

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • neutral evil (internet fame)

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • house exterior (chaotic evil)

Votes: 2 1.4%

• Total voters

daisyy

Late-Night Egg
Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
Island
Celestia
Lily of the Valley
Enchanted Butterfly Glow Wand
Lily of the Valley
Black Famous Mushroom
Famous Mushroom
saw this chart while i was scrolling through tumblr:
96570555641d40e6dc4b0313c62c25e62feebe56.jpg

which one are you? do you agree with the alignment?
i have to say mine is a cross between lawful & chaotic good with a tiny tiny bit of lawful evil (sue me) and that's pretty accurate!

Mostly lawful good and true neutral because I like to see all the different types of dialogue. I just choose the villagers that I personally like, so popularity/tier lists don’t mean much to me.

Although lawful neutral also kinda applies because I do have the amiibos for a few of my favorites.

i have some because they're cute, some because they are so funny looking and others because they remind me of tv characters i like 😂

I'm lawful good and chaotic good as well ^^ I want to have at least one of each personality and no repeating species, and from there it's just which villagers clicks with me

Neutral good because of my favorites and true neutral because I pick by design as well.
Edi: Just realized lawful good is more important too so there's no repetition.

Last edited:
i have some because they're cute, some because they are so funny looking and others because they remind me of tv characters i like 😂
yes!! i also have different villagers for different reasons, not sure where that option is on the alignment chart lool

I endeavoured to put together a town inspired by Japanese culture, with the single (and quite deliberate) exception of the all-American Apollo.

Ergo the final town layout ended up being...
Lillian/Bunnie (based on Japanese apple rabbits)
Kabukichi/Kabuki (based on kabuki theatre)
Tokio/Cranston (based on the Japanese crested ibis, AKA "Toki")
Takoya/Zucker (based on takoyaki)
Momochi/Snake (based on ninja)
Kurobē/Ken (also based on ninja...because one wasn't enough?)
Chitose/Gladys (based on the red-crowned crane)
Shinobu/Blanche (based on the Oriental stork)
Arthur/Rory (based on the Okinawan shisa)
Apollo (based on, of course, the bald eagle)

I'm an American who spends much of his life travelling/volunteering in Japan, especially Okinawa prefecture where the American cultural influence is most felt, so I thought it would be appropriate to have my village be 90% Japanese and 10% American!

Design-wise I love all of my villagers to bits, and their houses are especially great -- clear traditional Japanese inspiration for all except Lillian/Bunnie (but that's okay, because even in real Japan, plenty of people have westernised design tastes, hahaha).

As to personality diversity, that worked out nicely as well -- I have at least one of every personality, other than Sisterly. Unfortunately, none of the Sisterlies really fit the bill...the closest was Mira (based on Sailor Venus), but for some reason her house in Atsumori/NH went from being less like a "superheroine's secret base" to being "the Dinosaur Talent Show" instead. LOL

So uh, going by this thread...Lawful Good and True Neutral? Maybe a bit of Chaotic Good too? (What does "vibes" even mean...)

I mean I have a big list of rules I kinda follow for villagers... I went with vibes though, because if a villager doesn't vibe then I probably won't consider him/her even if they fit the rules lol

For example, I like to have all the personalities represented, but I don't like two of the same species (this really sucks for cat villagers)

It's funny that most people have like the same villagers from like a pool of 12, and I'm instantly turned off by a town when I see the villagers and its all tier 1/ most popular ones because I'm like... ok "aesthetic" and "design"

I also have a lot of nostalgia for some villagers too though, so it was hard to choose one option because like, I fall into several lol.

I thin what we can all agree on is, NINTENDO GIVE US HIGHER VILLAGER CAP

i'd say neutral good for myself because my goal is always an all deer town. i have a deer tattooed on my thigh and they're my favorite animal.

NINTENDO GIVE US HIGHER VILLAGER CAP
This. I don't know how many times I've run through hypothetical scenarios in my head where I'm able to have 5 more villagers -- or even 2, or even 1 more villager(s). It would be such a game-changer for my roster, hahaha.

I mean I have a big list of rules I kinda follow for villagers... I went with vibes though, because if a villager doesn't vibe then I probably won't consider him/her even if they fit the rules lol

For example, I like to have all the personalities represented, but I don't like two of the same species (this really sucks for cat villagers)

It's funny that most people have like the same villagers from like a pool of 12, and I'm instantly turned off by a town when I see the villagers and its all tier 1/ most popular ones because I'm like... ok "aesthetic" and "design"

I also have a lot of nostalgia for some villagers too though, so it was hard to choose one option because like, I fall into several lol.

I thin what we can all agree on is, NINTENDO GIVE US HIGHER VILLAGER CAP
i feel this... the cats and the wolves get me.. also the cubs tbh.

True neutral and neutral good for me.

I'd say 3 of my villagers are nostalgia picks from WW and 1 from NL that I originally didn't plan on having, but I ran into him on a mystery island and kept him. The rest were picked because they have really cute or cool designs that fit in well with the rest of my island. I do consider personality balance though since I still want to have one of everything, but species diversity doesn't matter to me at all (hence 4 goats). I also don't factor in popularity and don't care (or know where most of my villagers are on a tier list besides Raymond).

I'd say Lawful Good with a bit of Neutral Good, True Neutral & Chaotic Good in there as well. Lawful Good since I do have at least one of each personality in my final dreamie list. Neutral Good accounts for me having my favorites from my GCN towns (Mitzi and Tybalt) on my dreamy list as well as my childhood dreamy (Ankha). For True Neutral and Chaotic Good, I went through the rest of the personalities I didn't have yet and picked ones who I liked.

i feel this... the cats and the wolves get me.. also the cubs tbh.

I'd probably get rid of my personal rule of 1 villager per species even if it was upped to 12... On one hand its an easy decision obviously because Tangy is my all time fav villager and that will never change. But its frustrating when I want to have more CATS lol. I have nostalgia for Olivia and Kiki from AC for game cube, I have family cats irl that look like mitzi and lolly, I'd try to get raymond just for the lols, but idk it feels weird when I also appreciate the design of so many other villagers and species.

Also eagles for me... I really like Avery and Celia so much, but they get beaten out by others of their personalities lol and I actually don't have either right now.

Is it bad I think all the dog designs are just like really blah

I picked lawful good and true neutral but I also would've picked chaotic good and chaotic evil if I could've.
The villager I want don't have any sentimental value to me (except one who I already moved out so he kinda doesn't count) bc I've almost never had any cool villagers in the older games.
For amiibos it's the other way round? I have their amiibos bc I want them on my island, I got them specifically.

Mostly lawful good and true neutral, also chaotic good actually, they will be in my island if I find them fitting for the theme, so their design should match up with the ideas I have in mind for the island I'm doing, and I like having all personalities for variety reasons, and of course they should prove themselves by having that vibes, that they truly belong in my island and not out of place

For amiibos it's the other way round? I have their amiibos bc I want them on my island, I got them specifically.
that's interesting! i always pick amiibos for villagers that i don't have on my island, but may want on it in the future.
Mostly lawful good and true neutral, also chaotic good actually, they will be in my island if I find them fitting for the theme, so their design should match up with the ideas I have in mind for the island I'm doing, and I like having all personalities for variety reasons, and of course they should prove themselves by having that vibes, that they truly belong in my island and not out of place
yes, i agree with everyone saying that even if everything else matches up, villager needs good vibes to stay!

that's interesting! i always pick amiibos for villagers that i don't have on my island, but may want on it in the future.

yes, i agree with everyone saying that even if everything else matches up, villager needs good vibes to stay!
oh i understood the question kinda like 'you got their amiibos randomly (for example in a pack) so you use them now'

i chose goofiness and nostalgia because the characters that tend to grow on me most are the funny and expressive ones (i.e. SHELDON, marshal, antonio, butch, baabara), and i chose a lot of the villagers i have now because i had them in WW and/or NL (dotty, butch, punchy, marshal, baabara). agnes is mostly there for diversity reasons, but god, i love her so much. daisy and molly are there because they are so cute and i’d never had them before. talking to them makes me melt into a puddle.

i’d say in terms of priority, i’m nostalgia=goofiness>design>having 1 of each personality (idc about species, tho),

so neutral good/chaotic neutral, then true neutral, then lawful good

Back