• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

on what basis do you choose your villagers?

on what basis do you choose your villagers?

• lawful good (diverse personalities)

Votes: 74 53.6%
  • neutral good (nostalgia)

Votes: 31 22.5%
  • chaotic good (vibes)

Votes: 31 22.5%
  • lawful neutral (you have their amiibo)

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • true neutral (design)

Votes: 82 59.4%
  • chaotic neutral (goofiness)

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • lawful evil (resale value)

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • neutral evil (internet fame)

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • house exterior (chaotic evil)

Votes: 2 1.4%

• Total voters
ooh interesting that some factors are more important than others! given that, i have to say personality > vibes > resale for me!

chaotic good and true neutral since i wanted to go with a specific theme for my island and chose villagers i liked that also fit it! and lawful good to make sure I had all the personalities. with a bit of chaotic evil since part of the reason I decided to get rid of kid cat and have genji instead is because kid cat’ s house exterior clashed so much with everything else and genji’s fit perfectly lmao

I'm a mix of lawful good, neutral good, chaotic good, and true neutral.
I want at least one of each personality, but within each personality I select villagers based on design, nostalgia, and/or vibes~

I usually have a particular theme in mind for my town, and I choose villagers that I like that I feel fit that theme. (i.e. my town Aoshima is based off the Japanese cat island, so all of my dreamies for it are cats). For my NL towns, I had a cute fairy forest so I'd pick villagers that are woodsy and cute (bear cubs, squirrels, birds, deer), for my royal garden town I picked bright and colorful villagers. Just depends.

I always will have one of every personality...
Next is the design of the villager...
Then the exterior...

There are other personal reasons I will want this or that villager that fall into the nostalgia category, but those are generally worked into the design category for me, too?
Example: is I have always loved stuffed animals and whenever I was sick my mom would get me one. Thus, Stitches and Biskits are instant wants, but I only have room for one lazy personality. So, I have to pick between the lazy plush boys. T^T

I've chosen "Vibes" and "Design", but in third I would choose also "Diverse personalities".

- I don't adopt villagers previously adopted in Wild World or New Leaf, so no nostalgia for me.
- I don't own amiibos.
- I absolutely don't care about internet fame or resale value
- I hope that we'll be able to change house's interior and exterior in future updates

I've chosen "true neutral" because I almost exclusively go by design. Since this is my first AC game, there is no nostalgia for me. Different personalities are nice, but only if the type includes someone whose design I really like which sadly isn't the case with all of them.
Though I actually did order three amiibo cards yesterday which I plan to use, "lawful neutral" doesn't apply as I chose the amiibos based on who I want on my island and not the other way around.

I started with Katt and Dom, then added mystery islanders I thought seemed cool and weren't duplicate species: Joey and Fauna...then I forgot to look for a third one and was blessed with Flora!

My first campsite visitor was Shep, then I added Midge and Marshal from other island-hopping expeditions as I thought they looked cool.

It was around this point that I became aware of the different personalities, so decided I needed at least one of each. I island hopped for a snooty and after dozens of jocks, lazies and normals, I finally found Astrid, then looked for a cranky and found Rolf.

At this point I made the mistake of mentioning to my three-year-old son that there are octopi in the game, and he became obsessed with the idea of having one in our village. I showed him their pictures and he (thankfully) fell in love with Octavian, so I tracked down an amiibo to save the heartache and uncertainty of island hopping for him. There was only one villager he was happy to boot out, and so Marshal had to leave!

I wasn't sure my son would cope with villagers leaving, but I think he was so set on having that 'funny red octopus' that Marshal is a distant memory now! As much as I like the look of some of the other villagers (and will be VERY tempted if any of the wolves visit our campsite), I don't think I want to risk upsetting him in case he changes his mind on any swaps.

We're sticking with these ten, I reckon!

i’m surprised that no one else so far has voted for house exterior :eek: it’s the sole reason why i chose bettina over june, and it made me consider kicking out marshal even though i have six years’ worth of memories with him, lmao

EYk98jIVAAANLbD

I just invited this weirdo pig to live in my town so I certainly voted for chaotic neutral.Ah,Dungeons & Dragons.........

lawful good because I like having the most dialogue possible available
chaotic good because I need to vibe with them if I want to enjoy their presence
true neutral because if I don't like their design then most probably i won't be able to connect with them (there are exceptions here)
and lawful evil because even if I don't like them, if I have the opportunity to have Judy/Raymond/Audie I can resell them for quite a lot when they move out.

It's all based on appearance for me. Each lazy is going to generally have the same dialogue, each normal is generally going to have the same dialogue, etc. So in that case, I figured I may as well choose ones that I felt looked appealing to me.

First, I pick one of each personality because I want to have all personalities. Then, within each category, I pick those I like most based on looks and design. Lastly, I pick one male villager I want to have as a repeated personality, and the same applies to female villagers. This means that I might miss out on several villagers that I might like too, but I try my best not to repeat villagers I've had in previous games.

Mostly true neutral and chaotic evil. I have a specific theme going on so the colors all have to match (their design and their house exteriors).

I chose "house exterior" only because "villager clothing" wasn't available

definitely design, with a little bit of diverse personalities. i try to have one of each personality, but i really don't like any of the uchi villagers' designs, so i have some extra crankies, smugs, and lazies haha ;; i think any design with too vivid/bright of a color palette isn't really for me, so i gravitate towards more monochromatic villagers (ie punchy or marshal)

If I find the villager cute and I can vibe with them, they comin to the island

so chaotic good and true neutral

For me Design and personality, Nostalgia would have been my 3rd choice because I love having villagers I met back when I was a little kid. I’ve been a fan of Cleo since the gamecube!

I choose based on vibes and personality. I dont like repetitive dialogue so I try to limit myself to at most 2 of the same personality on my island. I also sometimes consider housing exterior heehee

Back