• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Place your random thoughts.

a bit of self-reflection/overthinking? personal stuff about me and my art/design choices, but thoughts that i don't mind sharing! i always get into this mood around lunar new year

I think anyone that's seen my art/character designs realize that there's usually a Chinese influence to them -- e.g. characters wearing cheongsam, hanfu, and so on. It's sort of a new development from recent years (2018-ish), but mostly because I started feeling more comfortable with it! This ramble has a lot to do with that, how it happened, and why I do it.

For a bit of background: I'm Chinese diaspora (2nd gen Canada-born Chinese). I grew up in a city that was probably 2% Asian at most, so I was pretty much the only Asian kid in my classes for the majority of my childhood. This means I was pretty lonely in that regard: there were very few people around me that looked like me or felt familiar to me, especially in media that I consumed. I was very drawn to characters that were more familiar to me (i.e. obviously East Asian; namely female characters with black hair).
Side ramble about said characters: Mulan is still hands down the best Disney princess, but I'd be lying if part of my attachment wasn't because she was Chinese. The gender nonconformity helped a lot, too. And, to the surprise of no one, I loved Syaoran and MeiLing from CCS for having a Chinese background/aesthetic. I also loved Sailor Mars and Kikyo (Inuyasha) for looking distinctly East Asian, though they were clearly Japanese.

Anyways, that's all to say representation is important and something rare to me growing up. I was different and while I didn't hate it, it was a bit lonely and made me hold onto whatever I could.
Note: I did and do have friends online that were Asian, but it's not like it was something that would come up in conversation often.

A lot of the art I grew up with had more Western/European or Japanese-styled fashion, so it's what I drew a lot too! There were some slight Chinese influences, but not too much. I think the main turning point for me was in around 2018: I designed my OC Frog's outfit for MapleStory2. The main idea was that I got the name "Frog" and wanted to make my character resemble a Frog as much as I could, and the buns were a good start. Since the buns were pretty 'Chinese' in style, I decided "maybe I can try to make a cheongsam with a Frog-theme to it," and... the design was really well received? There was a fear that people would think the design was 'weird' or something, but I got a lot of kind comments about it. It was surprising to me, but also very heartwarming!

I think that made something click for me. Even if I didn't see a lot of Chinese-styled outfits previously, especially in fantasy, I could just draw it myself. It's not like I didn't like Western/Japanese-styled fashion -- I actually like them a lot! I adore them! But being able to design characters that I wish I had seen growing up ended up being really important to me. It also made character designs click a lot faster for me, which was interesting. Characters that didn't have specific outfits for years finally had an outfit that felt right to me.

At this point in time, I do end up seeing a lot more Chinese-influenced things than before. This is probably by virtue of it being a little more common, and because I ended up following more people with those preferences too? Either way, waking up and seeing a lot of Lunar New Years-related art and content was very... heartwarming to me. I would have never seen so much at any point when I was growing up. So even though my family's not celebrating as much as we used to (COVID and all), I still feel happy.
(It's also not just Chinese stuff! I've seen a lot of Korean and Vietnamese LNY art too, which was just as impactful to me. I love seeing people repping their own culture -- it makes me feel more comfortable.)

I do sometimes worry that people will feel I'm obnoxious about it or feel put off by it, but I think that's their problem in the end, not mine. I had to grow up seeing a lot of European- and Japanese-inspired fashion in the media I consumed: I'll fill up the void of Chinese-inspired fashion on my own if I have to 😤 Most of the things I draw/make is for my own self-satisfaction anyways. I don't particularly care if people like it or not -- I do what makes me happy in the end.

As an additional note: despite all of this, I don't have the ability to speak anything that my family is able to (Cantonese/Mandarin/Teochew/Vietnamese). I can understand a little bit when hearing it, but not too much. I think for 2nd/3rd/etc. generation diaspora, this is a bit more of a familiar feeling. I always feel a little bit like a fake/liar for not being able to speak/read any Chinese despite drawing it so much, but I think that's also an important part of my experience. I would love to learn one day, and have plans to once I have more time in my life. For now, though, I'll rep the Chinese diaspora that are in the same boat as me 😔✊

This is a very simplified overview of stuff -- it doesn't even remotely touch a lot of topics/experiences I have as diaspora in a predominantly non-Asian community. Stereotypes, even well meaning ones, and whatnot. That's a very involved and slightly different topic from the one I wanted to ramble about here.

anyways, happy lunar new year! sing ni kuai lag & giong hi huag cai 🧧
I’ve had pretty similar experiences as you as a 2nd Generation Chinese born in America (in Texas of all places too…) As a result, I was the often the only Asian in my class, and in fact the only Asian in my entire grade in the first part of Middle School. It always made me feel self conscious of myself being so different from everyone.

Late in Middle School, my family moved to Beijing for a year because of an overseas assignment and it was truly a culture shift. Finally I got to be around other people like me! Even so, the people in my school were mostly non Asian because I went to an international school, but it was still cool! Even picked up a bit of Mandarin while I was there but basically only enough to buy stuff and order food, I can’t speak at a conversational level. (This is extra fun when I go to a Chinese restaurant and the waiter tries to strike up a conversation with me in Mandarin and I’m just like… uhhh…..)

Nowadays, I’m definitely more comfortable with my heritage and always love to talk to others like me about it! Thank you so much for sharing your story! Your art style has always been an inspiration to me and I hope to one day be able to draw at your level.

Happy Lunar New Year!

I felt the "go to a Chinese restaurant/store/etc. and they try to strike up a conversation" on a spiritual level. 😔 Same with the culture shift thing -- I went on a vacation to Vietnam and had a layover in China for a little while, and in both places I felt so... shocked? In a good way -- the majority of people were like me! It was oddly comforting, even if I couldn't speak to them. I've lived in an area with a higher Asian population for a while now, but I don't think I really realized just how different I still felt until then.

Thanks for sharing your experiences too! I've also developed a love of talking about this sort of thing, especially since I wish I saw more people talk about it while I was growing up.

Happy post-Lunar New Year!!

literally what even is valentines day
where is single's day
i don't have time to worry about romance when im literally dying in school
ugh i don't like everyone being all happy and romantic when my lonely self is just in the corner unable to talk to men

seriously though i'm only in it for the candy hearts
Post automatically merged:

i need to stop playing genshin impact and touch grass

Can't believe how long it's been since I made a post here. Hoping to be more active on this site from now on.

Excited to see how the forum has changed since I was last here!
Oh hi! Welcome back! I've never met you but I remember seeing your signature on the forums so I must have seen some of your posts at one point. :)

I was hugged by a drunk homeless guy at work today. That's not the first time I was hugged by a homeless person. The first time was by a lady that called herself Aunt Katie, and she wanted me to know she had glass eye in that day.

where did that package go? it says delivered into parcel locker, but it's not there.
glad i could refund and reorder. still questioning where it is though

I had a really great 4am thought where companies could be referred to in the way that we refer to the pharmaceutical companies as "big pharma".

like mcdonalds could be "big cheeseburger" and hair care stores could be "big shampoo" and Ashleys/Ikea could be "big furniture". it sounds really stupid but I couldn't stop thinking about it when I woke up around 4am and couldn't get back to sleep 😆😆

need 1 more person on pogo now again.. i know you're probably not allowed to give tbt if someone adds you..or stuff but seriously T_T
Post automatically merged:

(Even better than Cory In The House)
Oh yeah cory x his toilet

Back