• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

Pokémon Sword and Shield: First Thoughts

Alolan_Apples

“Assorted” Collector
Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
Switch
1624-3778-0694
Island
Palm City
Flower Glow Wand
Cool Balloon
Ghostly Kitty Plush
Yule Log
Disco Ball Easter Egg
Tetris Grid
Chocolate Cake
Pumpkin Cupcake
Apple (Fruit)
Ice Cream Swirl (TBT Beach Party)
Yep, Pokémon Sword and Shield is out, and I’m currently playing Pokémon Sword. Despite the controversy within the last five months, I still got the game and planned on getting the other for Christmas.

Anyway, as I was playing Pokémon Sword, I didn’t get to the first gym due to my low battery, but I made it to the big city were the first gym is located. From my experience, this is what I noticed:

- The large wild area surrounding the industrial city is so big, I felt that it was even bigger than Hyrule Field from Ocarina of Time.
- Technical Records? Pretty interesting feature. It’s also a mock-up of the TMs from the past. You can use them only once, but you can get a multiple of them. I’m glad that you can teach some moves that were previously never TMs, but I have to start being wise about using them unless if I don’t mind fighting wild Dynamaxed Pokémon.
- I was disappointed to hear that Hoppip won’t be in the game. But Oddish? I already captured one. It’s even the last Pokémon I captured so far.
- The first six or eight Pokémon I have ‘dexed were all eighth gen Pokémon. One of them even evolved.
- My starter was a Sobble. I named him Gex, an older video game character from a series of games that heavily reference popular shows and films from the past.
- Character customization has gotten much better. No need for hat, no version-locked clothes, and it’s definitely not like Pokémon Let’s Go’s customization.
- I felt that it started differently than the previous games. The character I assumed to be the final boss (I have to wait to see) was the character that gave you your starter.
- I wouldn’t be surprised that they used the word “trousers” to describe pants. The game is based on the UK (including the game’s title). What I wish was for words to be spelled the British way (like colour, honour, favourite, realise, defence etc).
- I’m also not surprised that the Pokémon Center had the same music, despite different instruments and an inverse scale to Sun and Moon’s (Sun/Moon had C-Major, Sword/Shield had F#-Major).

Once I beat the game, complete the Pokèdex, and whatever, I’ll probably rate the changes like I planned on doing.

Back