• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Random thoughts thread. (New Horizons)

I wish I could turn off the music on my teacup ride, while also keeping it spinning... silently. Same goes for the arcade games and other items that light up. If they are lit or moving, the sound is not optional.
Post automatically merged:

My husband just royally wound me up.

Apparently I'm too in to the game because I've decided that the housing area near the airport is the poor district because prices would be lower there due to noise pollution.

Apparently he can't understand my "story" for the island at all and I'm putting too much thought in to it. Guess shame on me for being creative.

So anyways. Hes in another room now, and I'm making my housing districts :)

You literally made my day with this story!

I am still laughing 🤣

Last edited:
I wish I could turn off the music on my teacup ride, while also keeping it spinning... silently.
It took me a minute to realize you were talking about the furniture in Animal Crossing. 🙊 For I moment, I thought this was a metaphor for something going on in your life at the moment. I was impressed by this wise analogy to man's internal struggles, but alas, they are mere woes to noisy decorative items in a game. 😂 I agree though, some of those things can be rather annoying. 😖💫

It took me a minute to realize you were talking about the furniture in Animal Crossing. 🙊 For I moment, I thought this was a metaphor for something going on in your life at the moment. I was impressed by this wise analogy to man's internal struggles, but alas, they are mere woes to noisy decorative items in a game. 😂 I agree though, some of those things can be rather annoying. 😖💫

Oh... yes... actually I was totally being wise about life. It had NOTHING to do with the game. (Give me this, nobody ever says I am wise 😆 )

I wish I could turn off the music on my teacup ride, while also keeping it spinning... silently. Same goes for the arcade games and other items that light up. If they are lit or moving, the sound is not optional.
Yes to this. I wanted to add arcade games to one room, but they all stay on all the time and it creates a jumbled mess of music fighting each other to be heard. I wish it was like it was in NL where you had to interact with it for the music to turn on.

If I’m not mistaken, this can also cause lag due to the sounds mixing themselves together, thus more processes and making the Switch work harder. I don’t like lag on any island in general, but it’s also why some islands are more suited for just photographs and not exploring. I even suffer from lag spikes on my own island, but I think I attribute that to the fact that I mix in tons of custom designs for the ground.

Also, a bunch of item sounds mixed together - plus the hourly music if you’re far enough - gets chaotic and annoying. Ruins a big part of the game’s chill aspect for me.

If I’m not mistaken, this can also cause lag due to the sounds mixing themselves together, thus more processes and making the Switch work harder. I don’t like lag on any island in general, but it’s also why some islands are more suited for just photographs and not exploring. I even suffer from lag spikes on my own island, but I think I attribute that to the fact that I mix in tons of custom designs for the ground.

Also, a bunch of item sounds mixed together - plus the hourly music if you’re far enough - gets chaotic and annoying. Ruins a big part of the game’s chill aspect for me.
I wish you could just adjust the background noise. For example, in sports games they typically have the option to adjust the crowd noise (cheering) in comparison to the background noise (the announcers, and everything else).

I would love to be able to lower the item sounds in comparison to the game music.

This happened to me today
IMG_2970.jpeg

This happened to me today View attachment 534232
Woah woah woah... shoes on the table?? Nuh-uh, girl. There's bigger problems here than winning a pair of plastic sunglasses from an Eagle who's talking to you at the doorway. 😱 As a child, I hated when whoever brought me to this family gathering would stand at the doorway and just chit-chat when we're supposed to be going home already. 🙄 Come on! Quit your yappin' and let's go home already! Doorway or Yapway? Entrance or Yaprence? What is blud yappin' about??? 🤬

I noticed that squirrels are primarily a female species in Animal Crossing. Does that reflect real life, or is that a coincidence?

My favorite squirrel villager is Caroline, and even she isn’t my favorite squirrel to come from a video game. It’s Sandy (even though she originally came from a TV show).

Woah woah woah... shoes on the table?? Nuh-uh, girl. There's bigger problems here than winning a pair of plastic sunglasses from an Eagle who's talking to you at the doorway. 😱 As a child, I hated when whoever brought me to this family gathering would stand at the doorway and just chit-chat when we're supposed to be going home already. 🙄 Come on! Quit your yappin' and let's go home already! Doorway or Yapway? Entrance or Yaprence? What is blud yappin' about??? 🤬

I think you are missing the bigger picture. Yapping at the doorway? No, what's worse is family gatherings and they meet you at the door and tell you to take your shoes off, apparently to protect the carpet. So you place your shoes in the designated area (in this case the table) and think about how you should have worn your nice socks.

you should have worn your nice socks.
ShawnFuzz, why wouldn't you be wearing nice socks at all times?? 😨💭🧦 A gentleman simply cannot roam this earth in mid-calf length white socks, much less with a hole on the sole! ❌ I'll let'cha in on a little pro tip, alright? 🤫 Wear short, think ankle-cut socks and then over those, you wear cool/funny dress socks. The same thickness as a comfortable cotton sock, but with dignity! 😤 I have a lot of Nintendo themed socks and other whacky designs I like. You shall never catch me slacking when it comes to takin' off my shoes. ✨😎👍

i wonder what our villagers and rep do when we aren't playing the game
The rep probably sleeps like they do in Wild World, where you go to bed to end the game. The villagers likely just continue to do their own thing. Your presence isn’t required for villagers to function.

I'm convinced Bones is a lot smarter than he appears to be. He surrounds himself in books and when you give him a music player, he listens to classical music.

He was the first of my villagers to realize that he's living in a simulation. The boy is cunning, I tell ya.

I can certainly understand the frustration of this game being too focused on terraforming and crafting and decorating. I think it is great that we were given the freedom, but it has come with some issues:
  • Feels forced at times. There should have been alternatives to get materials, fishing bait, craftable, furniture, etc. (that doesn't require online services). Not to mention, tools shouldn't break.
  • Nintendo put too much focus went into these features, causing other aspects of the game to be ignored. For example, a lot of furniture sets were done away with. The cute furniture is nice and all, but it feels like an inferior version of the lovely set I have always loved. Same with the social aspects. I do appreciate some stuff carried over from New Leaf, as well as some new stuff being added like in-person gifting and cheering up villagers (which, coincidently, were things I wanted for New Horizons), but this overall aspect still feels a bit stale.
  • Crafting and terraforming can get tedious at times. I am unpleasantly surprised that we never got bulk crafting. And terraforming is OP in a good way, but I do wish it was handled better. However, this is the first game it appeared it, so it is expected to be faulty, just like how diving improved.
I love New Horizons, do not get me wrong, but if these features weren’t so forced and tedious, people would have less of a problem. The same goes for the ignoring of other aspects of the game. I do miss the feel of the preceding games that New Horizons lacks.

Back