• The first day of our new Mushroom Season event has passed, but things are just getting started. Read the update about changes made to the schedule, starting with day two. Be careful foraging and good luck!
  • Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

So I got “scammed” and here’s a tip on how to avoid it in the future

Moral:
NEVER LET SOMEONE “BRING A FRIEND” TO ANYTHING

I feel kinda bad now, a few days ago I asked to bring my boyfriend to sell turnips at somebody's island and they said it was alright, everything was fine but I hope we didn't put them on edge! I'll stop asking to bring him along as it might make people suspicious

Man, it sucks that they told you that you "didn't lose anything" when you totally did, really.

I had a similar incident using turnip.exchange to offer my island up since turnips were going decently. I was asking for 50k per trip since they would make ten times than if they brought enough turnips and it was a steal compared to the island with 600 bells asking for 10 gold fragments or 10 NMT, etc. Thing is I didn't really even care, if someone had come along and asked politely "can i do it for free" I would have said yes.

Instead someone decides to run through my town to avoid my character and avoid paying that way. I ended up forcing them to 'leave quietly' which reset me and them, so they lost all their profit and I lost the 50k fee from a previous entrant (oh no how horrible) but more importantly I lost trust in basically everyone who came to the island and I lost the fun and the want to help people out, so I stopped offering the code after that. That's the bit that sucks - this is a game designed to be relaxing and an escape from real-world stress by giving you a cute world to decorate and live in and most people you meet to trade with (even on Nookazon) are lovely, and someone can so easily make you feel horrible and suck all the fun and the love for the other players out of you just like that.

What made it worse was someone (in my own thread I made about this incident, presumably not the scammer I came across) basically said the same as your scammer said to you, "who cares, it's just a game, they just wanted to get rich, you didn't lose out on anything."

I feel kinda bad now, a few days ago I asked to bring my boyfriend to sell turnips at somebody's island and they said it was alright, everything was fine but I hope we didn't put them on edge! I'll stop asking to bring him along as it might make people suspicious

depends on what you are doing really. If its just trading services like selling turnips, or watering flowers, or visiting towns, it doesn't matter if you bring someone over. bc even if the game saves, nobody loses anything!

but its a completely different story if you bring someone over in the middle of a trade when items are on the ground. bc you are left at the mercy of the host or their friend to disconnect (or not), and you might lose all your items.

Don't feel bad about this. If someone seems hesitant you can always ask if he could come after you, instead of at the same time. As long as you don't push it when someone says no I'm sure they won't think badly of you. :)

maybe my original wording was a little harsh, but I agree with Vrisnem. As long as there’s no one picking up items at all then it shouldn’t really matter. I also think as long as you’re transparent with the host and communicate exactly what you’re doing then you’ve done enough. The host still has the right to say no

i bet they felt real sneaky doing that but in reality they look super dumb, and they got themselves banned????

i bet they felt real sneaky doing that but in reality they look super dumb, and they got themselves banned????

the mod I talked to messaged me on discord a couple hours ago and said he submitted the thing to ban them so everything is alright in the world. They thought they were so slick but they’re probably like super self righteous 13 year olds that never had to work for anything in their lives

I know that things are alright now because the girls got banned, but that still must have been a huge headache for you. I am so sorry you had to deal with that. People suck sometimes... Hopefully you have better experiences from here on out!

Wow, I’m sorry that there were a few people price policing and shaming you for selling your items for what they consider a high price. (I’m not talking about the scammer, I’m talking about posts in this thread.)

People who don’t trade often or who aren’t engaged in discord/other sites don’t understand how truly bad inflation has become. TBT is usually a nice little bubble where things go for 1/2 price or less. So I hope you don’t feel upset by the comments people made shaming you for calling yourself generous. Kinda feels like a kick in the balls when we sell on TBT or other places and lower our prices then people come at us for being greedy because they don’t have a full understanding of the market.

Wow, I’m sorry that there were a few people price policing and shaming you for selling your items for what they consider a high price. (I’m not talking about the scammer, I’m talking about posts in this thread.)

People who don’t trade often or who aren’t engaged in discord/other sites don’t understand how truly bad inflation has become. TBT is usually a nice little bubble where things go for 1/2 price or less. So I hope you don’t feel upset by the comments people made shaming you for calling yourself generous. Kinda feels like a kick in the balls when we sell on TBT or other places and lower our prices then people come at us for being greedy because they don’t have a full understanding of the market.

It’s all good. I agree to some extent. I explained my rationale in another reply, but it all comes down to rates and I just kept them constant through this persons whole order. On here I would have sold for tbt though (which I can’t do on discord) so I essentially charged a little extra in my head for the opportunity cost of not making tbt. When people accept prices that they don’t like, it only encourages the market to go even higher.

Imagine how empty her life is to spend her days doing stuff like that. “Sorry, Kimmy. Can’t go to the mall. I need to scam someone out of 5 DIYS in Animal Crossing in a delusional heroic fashion”.
To be fair they probably can’t go to the mall rn lmao (not that I’m advocating for stealing from people in a video game of course).

OP this was a wild read

Those prices are pretty unreasonable to me. But if someone is overcharging for something I think that the decent thing to do would be to just ignore and move on to another seller. At the end of the day people can charge however much they want, and it's not like anyone's holding a gun to your head forcing you to buy something for that amount.

Those prices are pretty unreasonable to me. But if someone is overcharging for something I think that the decent thing to do would be to just ignore and move on to another seller. At the end of the day people can charge however much they want, and it's not like anyone's holding a gun to your head forcing you to buy something for that amount.

I think it’s wild too, but it’s what happens when NMTs are worth so much. But what boggles me the most is that they NEVER counteroffered. They had a ton of time to try to lower it and I even told them if I could catalog some of their stuff in exchange then I wouldn’t ask for as much

omg this whole things is just boggling my mind. like scammers are one thing, but you apparently came across the most extra scammers in the business lmfao, what a couple of tools

so sorry you had to go through this, glad you seem to be in good spirits about the whole thing tho - and ty for sharing this story. it's wild

I was one of the people who mentioned that I thought the prices were high, and I wasn’t trying to “price shame” you. I just value(price wise)songs and diys differently. I have no problem with what you charge. You go ahead and charge what ever price you want.
Anyways, it would be nice if there was a combined list of scammers compiled from all the trading sites. It wouldn’t stop the scamming but at least we would be able to avoid repeated offenders.

I was one of the people who mentioned that I thought the prices were high, and I wasn’t trying to “price shame” you. I just value(price wise)songs and diys differently. I have no problem with what you charge. You go ahead and charge what ever price you want.
Anyways, it would be nice if there was a combined list of scammers compiled from all the trading sites. It wouldn’t stop the scamming but at least we would be able to avoid repeated offenders.

yeah I know that you all weren’t trying to “price shame” me. I completely understand where you’re coming from. Technically it doesn’t make sense for me to lower prices when there are people willing to buy at this price. like I said in a previous reply, when you accept prices you don’t like you only encourage the market price to increase.

and I completely agree with your second point. I have her discord user screenshotted as well as both of their ign/island names

Back