• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

Super Mario 64 Remake Suggestions (Part 5)

Alolan_Apples

Mollycord’s Exile
Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
Switch
1624-3778-0694
Island
Palm City
Flower Glow Wand
Cool Balloon
Ghostly Kitty Plush
Yule Log
Disco Ball Easter Egg
Tetris Grid
Chocolate Cake
Pumpkin Cupcake
Apple (Fruit)
Ice Cream Swirl (TBT Beach Party)
Sorry for taking a break, but I was busy with the fair activities going on at the time these suggestion blogs are written. Now that I'm back to writing more suggestions, you can see what I want from Super Mario 64 is it had a remake.

I'm already done with the castle lobby levels (Bob-omb Battlefield, Whomp's Fortress, Jolly Roger Bay, Cool Cool Mountain, and Bowser in the Dark World), so it's time to move onto the other levels. Say, how about that mysterious level in the court yard of Peach's Castle? I don't wanna scare you, but we will have to cover Big Boo's Haunt today.

Big Boo's Haunt:

Possibly the first Halloween-themed level (or spooky-themed level) to ever come out of a 3D Platformer, but looking at the haunted house in this game today is a real disappointment compared to what you see in games today. You may had the impressions of Mad Monster Mansion from Banjo-Kazooie, any Scream TV channel in Gex: Enter the Gecko (not many of you know Gex since it's an old game), Creepy Castle in Donkey Kong 64, and in relation to adventure games, Bottom of the Well and the Shadow Temple from Ocarina of Time. All of those levels/dungeons are a lot scarier and creepier than Big Boo's Haunt. Even Sirena Beach and Ghostly Galaxy have more of a scare factor than this. BUT, is this level salvageable? Yes, it is, but only if they expand this level if they make a remake based on my suggestions.

1. Replace the steel grounds with dead grass - even if we don't care about updating graphics (well we should care anyway since we're in an age where high-depth graphics are mainstream), one change I seek is the grounds of Big Boo's Haunt. To me, it looks very empty. They can turn the painting background to an HD forest background while adding more spooky props such as dead trees and gravestones to make it more interesting, but there's an even more important change. Why do you want a steel ground for the exterior and not an actual haunted landscape? This isn't a spaceship. Back then, gameplay was the only focus. Now they should focus on improving the gameplay a bit but graphics even more.
  2. Add more windows to the haunted house - in addition to expanding the entire level and adding more to the exterior of the haunted house.
  3. Make the chomping piano even scarier - this may have scared kids during the early months of the Nintendo 64, right? I was 3 when Super Mario 64 first came out, but I was 7 when our family had our first gaming console (which was the Nintendo 64). Yet, we never played Super Mario 64 throughout this time as I never played it until I was 22. Since I never started playing until past the drinking age, I didn't seem to be as scared of the piano that goes after me. If they're gonna improve on graphics, they got to make the piano even scarier.
  4. Expand the library - we have two small libraries connecting to the piano room, and they don't seem to have as much excitement. A suggestion on this part is to combine both rooms and make an ultimately large library that is next to the large room with the scary chomping piano. The library itself can even be the size of the entire house from the original SM64.
  5. Add more puzzles in the library - the third star you should colllect involved just pushing three books in the right order. To get this star in the expanded version, there has got to be more than just that. There should be more switches, revolving bookcases, and possibly even levers.
  6. Replace the empty steel room with a laboratory - going from either direction in the lobby, the third door in the bottom floor always takes you to some empty room with a ghost and an eyeball. Ghosts are scary. The eyeball as an enemy is very creepy. But the room, is just bland. It looks more like an empty factory room. They should turn this into a mad science lab and have the eyeball enemy as a mad science project. There should be more hazards too. The top floor can have planks to walk on.
  7. Make the two other ground floor rooms more interesting - the other two rooms as well as the rooms above (you know the ones with a gap that takes you to the Boo-go-round) are very bland. Once the house gets expanded, these rooms should also be expanded, which gives more room for platforming elements and haunted house decorations.
  8. Make the coffin room scarier - with the game getting bigger, they can make the coffin room bigger and scarier. When you approach a coffin, instead of going up and down, they should open and close to reveal a zombie or a red coin. The zombies can hurt Mario, but the red coins are what he wants.
  9. Add a maze in the attic - even the attic needs improving. If they expand the level, they don't want to keep just two different rooms. There should be a maze that leads Mario to the balcony and to the secret room where he can use the vanish cap.
  10. Add more sections to the Boo-go-round - not the ride itself, but rather the road to the ride. I like to see more boos and spiders too.
  11. Fix the repetition issue - all three 3D Mario games are guilty for repetition in missions. In order for Super Mario 64 to be charged innocent, they might wanna work on the big boo part. The ghost you fight on the balcony is King Boo, the ghost you fight in the first mission is just a big boo, and there is no big boo in the Boo-go-round. Just only smaller ghosts.

That's 1/3 of all of the levels for Super Mario 64. I should be moving onto the basement soon.

I'm not even going over this one. Big Boo's Haunt and I have had bad relationships in the past... It is the one level I NEVER EVER EVERRRRR revisit.

Okay, whatever...

1. Well, if you haven't noticed, the level takes place inside a birdcage. That is why the ground was metal and the level itself had bars around it. Unless you can suggest another way to get into the level, it should stay like this.

2. This is good, but unnecessary.

3. I think there was a chomping piano in one of the recent Kirby games, right? It was pretty scary. The thing is, it needs to me "Super-Mario-64-scary."

4. I think they should keep two separate libraries (I don't even really know how one big one would work; I haven't played this level in a few years), but they should definitely make them bigger. They feel crammed right now.

5. This would be better to understand with a visual explanation.

6. I agree with you here; that room is kind of bland, isn't it?

7. I'm not sure if I have a comment here. Again, I haven't played this level in a long time, and I'm too lazy to hook up my N64 and play it right now.

8. Same as the previous response. I haven't seen this room in a while, but your idea sounds good.

9. I suppose they can add a maze, but I don't think that is necessary.

0. I think they should add more boos and scuttlebugs. Hopefully the boos don't sound like they did in SMG2... ew...

1. Well, again with graphical limitations. Now that they have a better grip on good graphics, they could certainly do this. Maybe in this game they get rid of the "unlockable" players? That way you don't have to fight KB to unlock Luigi so they can use him for a different boss fight.

Back