• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

Super Mario 64 Remake Suggestions (Part 9)

Alolan_Apples

Mollycord’s Exile
Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
Switch
1624-3778-0694
Island
Palm City
Flower Glow Wand
Cool Balloon
Ghostly Kitty Plush
Yule Log
Disco Ball Easter Egg
Tetris Grid
Chocolate Cake
Pumpkin Cupcake
Apple (Fruit)
Ice Cream Swirl (TBT Beach Party)
Today's suggestions are on the first set of levels in the third portion of the hub, which is the second story. The two levels to focus on are Snowman's Land and Wet-Dry World. By the time you reach these levels, you would realize how late it's getting in the game. It's also when levels are finally becoming more interesting.

Snowman's Land:

It feels like a repeat level to me, but it's the better of the winter levels. The missions aren't too cheesy, there are no bottomless pits, and it's much easier to navigate. Aside to graphics issues and how they compare to today, my biggest complaint is that the level is too small. If they can make it as big as Hyrule Field was in Ocarina of Time, it would be better, but it needs more to be salvaged.

1. Move the Bob-omb Buddy to another location - as the world should be bigger, there should be a new spot for the pink Bob-omb that activates the cannons. The thing is, I don't like how we need the koopa shell to reach the igloo, how you need to jump on a spindrift to reach the only koopa shell you can use in the level, and how you need to get to the igloo to activate the cannons. Not to mention, but getting the star in the igloo is the sixth mission in the level. Basically skipping the cannon when it would make good use to skipping the snowman climbing step.
  2. Expand the 3D maze in In the Deep Freeze - if this was Super Mario Sunshine or Super Mario Galaxy I'm talking about, the huge ice block with a maze would be a lot bigger and more complex. This is why I suggest making it bigger with some cubical maze. It would be harder, but it's better than being too simple.
  3. Add more snowy hills - with Snowman's Land bigger, it should be more interesting and less bland, so the land should have more hills. We can make more room for the spindrifts, moneybags, snowman enemies, and shy guys (and let's throw in the hat-stealing Goombas as well).
  4. Make the bully arena larger - I'm okay with slippery ice, but that arena as well as the really cold lake below are too small.
  5. Make accessing the bully arena more challenging - you just need to find a hill and climb up in the original version. Now, if you have more hills, we should have more long jump platforms before reaching that icy arena.
  6. Expand the freezing lake and add some islands - when I mean expand the world, sometimes I mean keep the proportion the same but the scale different. So the freezing lake Mario can swim in will be larger. We should also have more islands to hop across, including the ones that you can only access with a spindrift unless if you like having a low health meter. The one with the snow dunes pushing out are fine.
  7. Make the giant snowman taller - again, I said keep the proportion the same, but the scale different. I would suggest adding more sections to the giant snowman before reaching that ice bridge it will blow you off. And instead of staying behind a penguin as it constantly tries to blow you off, have it act like a fan that turns on and off and have a few ice blocks to stay behind when it starts blowing again.
  8. Change the ramp to the igloo into steps - I mentioned earlier on how I do not like it when I have to use a koopa shell to reach it. The thing here is that climbing steep slopes is difficult or impossible to do, as there's a fence at the top with icy water at the bottom. It would be better to add steps than just have a ramp.
  9. Turn the igloo into a mini-platformer - as everything should get bigger, I would prefer to see the igloo size up to some tiny platformer that you can reach the star at the top. There's no bottomless pits as the only enemies are spindrifts, goombas, and bob-ombs.

Wet-Dry World:

The last level to not have a bottomless chasm of any sort has a very interesting concept. I like the idea of raising and lowering the water levels. But this blocky level that seems like a city isn't free from my suggestions either. Here are the suggestions that will fill up to the top (besides graphics redesigns and expansion):

1. Add more buildings - there should not just be more buildings to jump on and off of, but also some scenic buildings in the playfield. They may be useless, but showy. Why did I ask for coral reefs in Dire Dire Docks and Jolly Roger Bay?
  2. Remove the Heave-Hos - they may be useful to help you climb the large building, but I hate it when they pick up Mario while you can't control him. If you get flung anywhere other than an upper ground, you will take damage. Not only that, but having these enemies shows how rushed this level is. They should consider replacing them with steps and other platforming elements (like pulley machines) to get up higher.
  3. Make the tall building have five floors to walk on - and this is not including the ledges with the Chuckya. I just want to see more challenge.
  4. Add more floating platforms - I've been suggesting this to almost every level. Platformers involve action, and not just simple actions.
  5. Move the secret locations in Secrets in the Shallows and Sky - I prefer if they were all yellow blocks you can break. But they need to be in more interesting locations than just what we have.
  6. Slow down the elevator in Expeess Elevator - Hurry up! - I prefer if it slowed down, stopped for longer, then slowly moves up to get that star. So you don't need to jump off then go through the hole in the grill.
  7. Make the Arrow Lift rides longer - this mission is a good idea, but every ride to that one building seems short. Perhaps space them out and make the rides longer?
  8. Expand the town the red coins are hidden in - even this place needs to be bigger with more buildings. It's an interesting place in the original version, but what about the rest?
  9. Make collecting red coins easier - this time, the red coins should not be hidden in the blocks. Whether the water level is high or low, you should be able to collect these coins at any time.

There's more coming up soon, but that's it for these levels.

To be honest, the only thing that I care about in Snowman's Land is the Chill Bully. I've been the Chill Bully's #1 fan for quite some time now.

1. I agree that they need to move the bob-omb buddy out of the igloo. I guess the cannon isn't really necessary to beat the level, but they shouldn't have him hidden in the igloo. Also, all those things are difficult because the controls suck in this game. Its funny because the controls suck in both versions.

2. They should also make it so you don't have to use the vanish cap. I was playing the level recently to get the coin star and I got stuck in the block that had the bob-omb buddy. I had to reset the whole level because of it. They should just make a maze that you can go through.

3. I was about to say, we don't need any more kleptos.

4. I get the impression that the Chill Bully takes up way too much room and has an advantage. I can't even punch him. I have to butt slam him. It's actually kinda funny.

5. Yes. Make them work for it!

6. They should make one that is easy to get on so you don't die trying to get out of the super cold water.

7. They could extend the currently existing sections more, but there's no need to add brand new sections.

8. I know. That's a buncha poop.

9. If you mean change the inside of the igloo and get through enemies to get to the star, then I disagree. They need to keep it like a maze. If you mean using the igloo as a literal platform to reach the star, isn't that cheating by your standards?

I like to jump into the very top of the painting and make the world overflow. I also enjoy watching the skeeters, well, skeet, I guess.

1. While I do see a connection between adding a coral reef and adding more buildings, that's what the downtown area is for. The upper level doesn't need buildings. It doesn't seem like much of a city to me

2. OMG YESS. I hate how you are almost guaranteed to take damage, because when you get flung up to the next level by one Heave-Ho, before you can recover, the next one grabs you and throws you in a random direction. It happens 98% of the time and it make me really mad. I wish you could destroy the enemies. They seriously need to consider removing them.

3. That is a considerable idea.

4. They need to add another one that spins at 200mph. xD

5. I feel like the secrets are okay where they are. If they were just in yellow blocks you break, then where's the challenge?

6. I didn't have any issues with the elevator in this level. Though, granted, it could stop for a little longer.

7. I don't mess with the arrow lifts very much. I just long jump and skip all those arrow platforms...

8. They could definitely add a new feel to this area. It needs to be bigger and include more buildings.

9. I disagree. Though, the red coins on the buildings were a bit difficult to get. They should make the coins a little less hidden.

xSuperMario64x said:
I was about to say, we don't need any more kleptos.

Actually, that joke I crossed out was making a reference to an enemy in Super Mario Sunshine called Swipin' Stus. It's one of the variations to the Sunshine version of the Goombas called the Strollin' Stus, pudgy like creatures with a nose like Mario's. The Swipin' Stus are bigger versions of them with wings and float in the air. When you walk near them, they may jump down. If you get hit, they will steal your hat, and in one short second, they grow a mustache as big as Mario's. They are a lot easier to get your hat back than the hat thieves in SM64, but you slowly lose health without the hat. I find these enemies funny because they grow a mustache after stealing your hat. And stepping on them makes a funny death scream, whether or not they have your hat.

Last edited:
Apple2012 said:
Actually, that joke I crossed out was making a reference to an enemy in Super Mario Sunshine called Swipin' Stus. It's one of the variations to the Sunshine version of the Goombas called the Strollin' Stus, pudgy like creatures with a nose like Mario's. The Swipin' Stus are bigger versions of them with wings and float in the air. When you walk near them, they may jump down. If you get hit, they will steal your hat, and in one short second, they grow a mustache as big as Mario's. They are a lot easier to get your hat back than the hat thieves in SM64, but you slowly lose health without the hat. I find these enemies funny because they grow a mustache after stealing your hat. And stepping on them makes a funny death scream, whether or not they have your hat.
I may have heard of that even though I've never played Super Mario Sunshine.

Last edited by a moderator:
xSuperMario64x said:
I may have heard of that even though I've never played Super Mario Sunshine.

I would suggest trying it. I enjoy the game.

And if you wanna know why I edited your post, it's because you used incomplete quote tags. I don't like seeing my comments look messy. You're not in trouble. I just want to fix the quote.

Apple2012;bt12918 said:
I would suggest trying it. I enjoy the game.

And if you wanna know why I edited your post, it's because you used incomplete quote tags. I don't like seeing my comments look messy. You're not in trouble. I just want to fix the quote.

Wha??????? Hehe I'm so sorry about that ^^"

Back