• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

The 3DS or the 3DS XL?

Katharine2000

Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
Okay, so Im having a bit of a dilemma. Its 73 days until ACNL comes out in Europe, and I'm beginning to think I should maybe trade in my current 3DS and get a 3DS XL? Will it make the gameplay better playing with the 3DS XL? So I basically need some advice, do I bother trading in my 3DS and getting a 3DS XL or do I just keep my 3DS?:confused: Sorry if this has already been a thread!

Depends on your eyes and how often/long you play games.
I am blind in one eye but I play games alot so I upgraded to the 3DS XL to have the bigger display.
The 3DS XL comes with a default 4G SD memory card and has a slightly longer battery life than the 3DS.
My sister has my old 3DS because she has good eyesight.
I took my 16G that I bought and put it in my XL than put the 4G from the XL into her 3DS.

I don't think the actually gameplay would change much.
The XL just makes it easier to see some things for me.
If you are worried about memory just upgrade the SD card in your 3DS.

As said above, you don't really need one if your eyesight is good and you don't play games for a long time.
A bigger screen does put less strain on the eyes, though.

Also, I'd wait until about a week from the release, see if the ACNL 3DS XL is released where you are.

i traded mine in and i don't regret it! but my eyes are pretty crappy, so the bigger screen is great. also, i noticed that the XL fits in my hands better, even though i don't really have big hands. the game play itself wont be any different. so, if you just want a bigger screen, trade it in! if it's not that big of a deal for you, keep the one you have.

So there you go Katharine2000, you have your answers.
I hope L3WIS, the_bria, and I could help you with your decision making.

I got my 3DS XL for Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance & Animal Crossing: New Leaf cause I need a better bigger screen & a long battery life to play

I like the anti-OCD characteristics of the XL. I couldn't stand the original 3DS and how much of a fingerprint and smudge magnet it was. The trim around the bottom screen also left scratches on the top screen. The stylus was also badly placed. The battery wasn't as good. The 3D looked nowhere near as good. It also had pointy, uncomfortable corners. Yeah, I'm glad I sold my original 3DS for an XL.

IMO, the XL is incredibly better. I did have a regular 3ds, and I quite enjoyed it, but the screens were tiny (though I only noticed a few times when I was playing, as you tend to zone in). But now that I have my XL, I can't go back to playing the smaller system.

The 3D is easier to see and I use it much more often as well! The stylus is on the side as opposed to the top so it's almost a natural motion when you need the stylus.

I really enjoy my 3dsxl :D

I bought a Pikachu 3DS XL simply because my eyesight isn't the greatest, and I wanted to be able to see NL better, with better battery life. Plus Pikachu. :3
I kept my old 3DS as I do with all of my systems, and it's a great difference. If you want better screen size, battery life, and honestly better graphics, go with an XL.

Last edited:
I was having the same dilema as you about a month ago. I've decided if we get the ACNL 3DSXL then I'll upgrade and if we don't then I'll keep mine/wait until it dies.
I'm slightly concerned that if I upgrade and a new iteration of DS comes out (in a few years time ofc) I'll have trouble going back to using a smaller screen.

I was having the same dilema as you about a month ago. I've decided if we get the ACNL 3DSXL then I'll upgrade and if we don't then I'll keep mine/wait until it dies.
I'm slightly concerned that if I upgrade and a new iteration of DS comes out (in a few years time ofc) I'll have trouble going back to using a smaller screen.

The last new DS model was released in 2010.

The last new DS model was released in 2010.

As in new nintendo handheld with new specs/games just for that handheld. ie. DS -> DSi -> 3DS -> sucessor. They all have DS in their names, so I count them as 1 family, and am fairly sure the next one will continiue this trend.

But still I skipped out on the DSi XL and a few people I know who owned them waited to get 3DS's because they wanted another XL.

I personally just upgraded to the XL about a week ago; I love it! c: I'd recommend it any time. c:

Zellu, did you join just to say that?

Anyways... I do not own an XL but am considering it too. I would want to have the money for after my system "dies" ( my L button is already un-alighned) and I can get a new one. The pros outweigh the cons, but the cons are still the issue of it fitting in your pocket, as well as the cost (at least you can system transfer).

I bought a Pikachu 3DS XL simply because my eyesight isn't the greatest, and I wanted to be able to see NL better, with better battery life. Plus Pikachu. :3
I kept my old 3DS as I do with all of my systems, and it's a great difference. If you want better screen size, battery life, and honestly better graphics, go with an XL.

Actually it doesn't have better graphics, but it is bigger and it looks better IMO. Also, it is an increase in battery life as well. It's pretty much better all the way. I have never regretted switching from the regular to the XL.

Back