• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

The 3DS or the 3DS XL?

Just sharing my thoughts about battery life, here is what I noticed last time when I was playing with my friend until my battery was completely drained off. I have a 3DS and she has a 3DS XL.
- My battery was on full charge, hers wasn't.
- I was playing with sound off, she had sound on.
- I didn't use the 3D at all, she was using it from time to time.
And yet, she continued playing for an hour or so without the "low-battery" sign showing up.

So, unless my 3DS is defective, the batteries for both systems are on completely different levels.

I got an XL a few days ago, I've barely played but the curved edges are better in the hands than the ones on the regular

but it really depends on your preference. IMO I actually prefer the location and metal stylus on the regular 3DS as opposed to the XL. Idno why.

I'm going to vote for grabbing the 3DS XL, if you can. I can't say anything about the regular 3DS, as I've never owned one, though I think the size upgrade by itself seems to be worth trading in your old one for.

It really comes down to your personal preference though, so don't let hype change your opinion too much if you aren't feeling the need to get the bigger and newer product right now.

Last edited:
I think you should definitely go for it. I can't say too much because I bought the 3DS XL as my first 3DS and never really used a normal 3DS for more than 10 or 15 minutes but seriously, I think the XL is far better because of the way it fits in your hands, and the screen! The screen is amazing for zoning out into games... Video is great on the bigger screen and the different screen that is less glossy is really nice, makes for a nicer, more colorful, less washed out screen. I used a 3DS at the store the other day and I couldnt believe how tiny it was.. Just get the 3DS XL, even though it might not be as portable, it doesnt matter if you are a girl because you can use a handbag or purse which would be great (I am a guy so it is kind of hard to take the 3DS out and about). Seriously the rather small amount of money extra you have to pay is definitely worth it. If you have a bit more extra cash to throw around get the 3DS XL but if you are in a huge squeeze to get it and it will be terrible for your wallet to get it, you don't have to. Up to you but i would STRONGLY recommend the XL.

Nintendo 3DS XL is uncontestably the best way to play your 3DS games, even if it's just 30$ more than the current price of the original 3DS in North America (the recharger is included in this region). Unlike the older model, this one won't make your hands cramp too easily. If you don't believe me, try playing an intense game on both 3DS and 3DS XL, and you might see some huge differences.

For me, it takes two minutes of Mario Kart: Super Circuit gameplay on my original 3DS to get my hands hurting already, compared to 8 minutes or so on the larger model.

In all honestly 3DS.It fits in my pocket. 3DS XL is way too large for my pocket and for me to hold.No me gusta giant DSs :(

In all honestly 3DS.It fits in my pocket. 3DS XL is way too large for my pocket and for me to hold.No me gusta giant DSs :(

Perhaps you just have tiny pockets :D However, I got one of the Club Nintendo bags for my xl and now it's kinda snug in my pocket, but it still fits in there. :3

If you have the money to do it then 100% go with the XL. For me it was everything that the original 3DS should have been. The battery life isn't really anything amazing, but it's the size and shape of the model that just make it all the more superior to the 3ds.

I love the thought of a bigger screen, but I'm not going to upgrade it since I have a limited edition Peach 3DS and I absolutely love it, so I'd rather just play on that.

It really is personal preference.

I like the XL so much better than the regular 3DS. I have really bad astigmatism so the larger screens are better on my eyes and I find the XL to be more comfortable for longer periods of gaming. My daughter is 13 and has small hands and finds the XL to be too large and heavy for her to hold for long.

The xl is lovely.. I upgraded a few months back, so happy I did it. It does put less strain on the eyes, don't have to focus on such a small screen. It doesn't look bad graphic wise either, the images are stretched a bit, but it doesn't really effect much of anything.. that I know of so far.

I want to get a 3DSXL because I think game play for animal crossing would be much better. You'd get to see bigger clothes, bugs, furniture etc...I'm hoping for the special edition bundle to come out actually.

I'm personally really glad that I have an XL rather than an original 3DS, but even if I didn't, I'm not sure if I would go through the trouble of upgrading. But it's up to you. :)

Just to update you guys, I've just brought the 3DS XL today! It was worth it! Thank you again for all your advice!:)

I don't have a 3DS yet, but I'll be getting the XL (Hopefully the Animal Crossing one). Portability also isn't a big issue for me as I will mostly be playing it at home.

I have the 3DS XL bundle pre-ordered and I'm selling my old XL. It's not too big for small hands like some might say (I have really small hands and I have no problems with it) and in my opinion, it's sturdier than the normal 3DS.

Back