• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

The 3DS or the 3DS XL?

The original 3DS for sure, it's a no brainer. It has:

-Smaller screens
-A Glossy fingerprint magnet shell
-A small body that cramps your hands
-Screens that are terrible at emulating DS games
-Squeaky shoulder buttons
-Easily scratchable surfaces
-A shorter battery life
-The worst stylus placement ever
-A screen that literally scratches itself

Seriously, 3DS XL, are you even trying?

Last edited:
I liked the glossy surface of the original, lol. Only reason I'm getting an XL is because of the bundle

The original 3DS for sure, it's a no brainer. It has:

-Smaller screens
-A Glossy fingerprint magnet shell
-A small body that cramps your hands
-Screens that are terrible at emulating DS games
-Squeaky shoulder buttons
-Easily scratchable surfaces
-A shorter battery life

Seriously, 3DS XL, are you even trying?

Don't forget the original 3DS's hard-to-reach Stylus and lower screen trim that scratches the hell out of the top screen. It makes for great character-building!

Don't forget the original 3DS's hard-to-reach Stylus and lower screen trim that scratches the hell out of the top screen. It makes for great character-building!
Added, thank you fellow Original 3DS brother!

I have the original 3DS and being female I thought it suited my hands better size wise. My bf has the XL version and when I look at it, i just think it's too big. Having said that, then they announced the ACNL XL I was pretty bummed it didn't come in the smaller size, so I asked my bf if i could play on his XL for a few days to see if I liked it. If I did't then I'd just buy the game.

Turns out when I was using the XL I didn't find it too big and I actually liked the fact that the screens were bigger. So now I have re-ordered the ACNL bundle.

My advice, if you can, find someone who has an XL and ask to try it out for size, or see if any of your local game stores have any display models or 2nd hand ones you can have a quick shot of and see for yourself :)

- - - Post Merge - - -

it's true the XL has a longer battery life too

Wasn't sure where exactly I should post this, and I apologize if this has already been posted.

Behold.

original.jpg

I still have my Blue 3DS, I love the colour and I think it looks better overall... I can see why the bigger screens would be good, but I have only ever used the original DS, and a DSi. Never had any larger screen models, so it's much easier for me to adjust!

Personally, I'm going with the 3DS XL, as I'm getting the New Leaf bundle pack. I would get the XL even if I wasn't, though. I think for interactive games like Animal Crossing, the XL is worth it.

To be quite honest, I want the XL, but I just don't have the money. I got my 3DS only two months after its release. I was almost bummed when I heard they'd lowered the price, but then I got 20 free games and it was all good. But now I think I just want to upgrade. I have poor vision anyway, and the XL feels so much better on my eyes. For the time being, my current 3DS will do. But after I save up enough money, I've every intention of buying an XL and giving my current 3DS to my little brother, who has better vision than I.

Come to think of it, I never get why people say that the stylus being located at the back is a problem... I was watching a YouTube video and the guy said that he hated having to close the 3DS to get the stylus..

All you have to do is reach your hand back, or tilt it to the side a little, but I agree it is better on the side, it's kinda a fingers reach away.

Come to think of it, I never get why people say that the stylus being located at the back is a problem... I was watching a YouTube video and the guy said that he hated having to close the 3DS to get the stylus..

All you have to do is reach your hand back, or tilt it to the side a little, but I agree it is better on the side, it's kinda a fingers reach away.

I guess people are just that lazy.

It's not laziness, it's just inconvenient. Some games have you switching from buttons to touch screen and it's nice to just have the stylus in your hand in a swift move, and not have to fumble at the back feeling for where the stylus should be.

I traded in my 3DS for the XL. Only complaint I have, which I also find completely bearable, is that you notice the jaggies a bit more. Also, if you don't plan on walking around with a bag to hold your XL, the size may feel a little cumbersome in your pocket.

If you are trying to choose between the 3DS and the 3DS XL, go for the XL. The XL has a longer battery life then the 3DS, which is always a good thing. Another big factor is the shape. While the 3DS is smaller and covered in sharp corners that will dig into your hand easily, the XL is larger and curved, so it will fill your hands more and have less digging.

The top screen also has points where it will snap into place unlike the 3DS' single point, so it is easier to play with it in different positions like in bed. The shoulder buttons for the XL are bigger and easier to use then the tiny things on the 3DS sitting right up against the top half of it. And having a stylus stored in the side means you can quickly pull it out and play without having to turn the 3DS or move too much.

The XL also comes with a 4GB card compared to the 2GB in the 3DS, which is nice for anyone who wants to buy a couple of digital games, as you don't need to spend money on a larger card.

The gloss finish is also a nightmare to keep clean. Finger print magnet away!

My only real issue with the XL is that the speakers are really weak, so some earbuds are nice. And that closing the 3DS XL can scratch the top screen.

Get the XL! Its so much better then the regular 3DS. I thought it was stupid when it came out but its wayyy better~

Back