• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

The Differences between the US and UK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok well the US version of the office > the UK one. But I guess that's a matter of opinion huh

Well there is soccer....

The US sucks in soccer (males).
Well and England.... sucks as well. :D

Huh, well how about that? :D
Not so different after all. :p

Ok well the US version of the office > the UK one. But I guess that's a matter of opinion huh

Yeah, that's one of the few exceptions (although the UK one is still good). Though I find it weird why the US feels the need to reinvent our programmes anyway? Like why don't they just show it how it is, like we do with their shows? Or think of their own ideas.

Well there is soccer....

The US sucks in soccer (males).
Well and England.... sucks as well. :D

Huh, well how about that? :D
Not so different after all. :p
from england here

speaking of sports, we call soccer football and americas type of football american football

from england here

speaking of sports, we call soccer football and americas type of football american football

I call American Football 'Hand Egg'.

There's very little 'ball on foot action' with it, so it's a much more accurate name.

I call American Football 'Hand Egg'.

There's very little 'ball on foot action' with it, so it's a much more accurate name.
lmao i agree, the world football really isnt very wisely picked for a game where feet are not involved haha

I did a bit of looking around and found that the reason why American football is called football is because the sport itself originated from rugby football. {Walter Camp helped American football to become a distinct sport from rugby ~1880. He was the one who proposed the idea of a line of scrimmage instead of a scrum.}

The reason for the word football in itself is speculation, though. From what I can tell, the most popular theory is that the term denotes sports played on foot, as opposed to horse-riding sports such as polo.

omg lighten up

You tell him. It's best not to stereotype an entire nation by one person, but I don't see too much of that on this thread either.

As for the football thing, I think the UK/world definition makes perfect sense rather than the brown oval ball being the "football". Think about it, you use your foot to move the ball. In the American version (the brown oval one), you rarely use your feet. We call the world football "soccer". So we have soccer and football here, but the world likes soccer. Football is very strange though.

As for the football thing, I think the UK/world definition makes perfect sense rather than the brown oval ball being the "football". Think about it, you use your foot to move the ball. In the American version (the brown oval one), you rarely use your feet. We call the world football "soccer". So we have soccer and football here, but the world likes soccer. Football is very strange though.

As I explained above, football might not actually come from kicking a ball with one's feet but instead from being played on foot, instead of horseback. No one actually knows for sure, since the term foot ball is incredibly old. There's a possibility that both assumptions are correct, in that the term originally denoted a sport {later, sports} played on foot instead of horseback. Perhaps that original sport itself heavily incorporated the use of kicking the ball, thus creating a sort of intermingling etymology. {This [the intermingling etymology] is pure speculation on my part, I should add.}

As I explained above, football might not actually come from kicking a ball with one's feet but instead from being played on foot, instead of horseback. No one actually knows for sure, since the term foot ball is incredibly old. There's a possibility that both assumptions are correct, in that the term originally denoted a sport {later, sports} played on foot instead of horseback. Perhaps that original sport itself heavily incorporated the use of kicking the ball, thus creating a sort of intermingling etymology. {This [the intermingling etymology] is pure speculation on my part, I should add.}

"The Middle Ages saw a huge rise in popularity of annual Shrovetide football matches throughout Europe, particularly in England. An early reference to a ball game played in Britain comes from the 9th century Historia Brittonum, which describes "a party of boys ... playing at ball"."

Proof that football is and always will mean soccer, and that the Americans stole and cultivated it to define something different. Of course in modern days the term "football" related to any sport which involved kicking a ball, but originally it was used for the name for what's known as soccer/football.

Ancient_Greek_Football_Player.jpg

obligatory picture of an ancient greek playing footy

I wonder, how popular is baseball in the UK? It's an old sport in the US, but it's baseball season right now.

It's not really popular at all. I've literally never met anybody that's into baseball, and I come from an extremely sporty family.

Last edited:
No. American football in itself is derived from rugby football, hence the name. Hands are allowed in rugby football, but I don't see anyone arguing about that. The origin of the word football is controversial. No one knows why it is called football.

Saying that Americans stole the sport from soccer is completely false.

I wonder, how popular is baseball in the UK? It's an old sport in the US, but it's baseball season right now.

I guess 'rounders' is the closest thing in the UK to baseball (I'm sure 'rounders' came first as well). I don't think I've ever seen it played outside of school PE classes though.

No. American football in itself is derived from rugby football, hence the name. Hands are allowed in rugby football, but I don't see anyone arguing about that.

That's because nobody calls it 'Rugby Football', it's just 'Rugby'.

English Comedy is more hard core, where as american comedy is a bit more laid back, Im British .

I did a bit of looking around and found that the reason why American football is called football is because the sport itself originated from rugby football. {Walter Camp helped American football to become a distinct sport from rugby ~1880. He was the one who proposed the idea of a line of scrimmage instead of a scrum.}

The reason for the word football in itself is speculation, though. From what I can tell, the most popular theory is that the term denotes sports played on foot, as opposed to horse-riding sports such as polo.
its called rugby football over there? its just rugby here, but yeah the two are definitely really similar with the balls and whatnot

its called rugby football over there? its just rugby here, but yeah the two are definitely really similar with the balls and whatnot

no it's called football

like how can you not notice this is exactly what we're discussing lol

The official name of rugby is rugby football, which is then divided into either rugby league football or rugby union football.

Even if the name is shortened to "rugby," there are still other football sports that don't involve solely ball-kicking. For example, there's Australian rules football, which allows hands-on-ball contact. Canadian football {a gridiron sport similar [yet different] to American football} is another football sport allowing the use of hands-on-ball contact.

EDIT;
To get back on the topic of the thread, it is interesting to note a difference between the UK and the US.

Difference -- popularity of certain sports

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back