• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

The Differences between the US and UK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I don't know why America allow Republicans either.

That's another thing that I really notice about the US vs the UK. I'm always seeing Americans online bashing people, particularly on YouTube for which political party they support ("You're probably a dirty Republican." "[insert insulting comment about Liberals]" "[insult insulting comment about Conservatives]"). I often find it quite strange, but I guess Conservatives vs Liberals are in favour of opposing laws, though I don't get what Republicans are bashed for.

In the UK, most people couldn't really care which party you support, or at least wouldn't go as far as insulting someone for who they support. Hopefully this doesn't cause offense, but this seems to be the general stereotype of politics in the UK: You get a few people who are dissatisfied with the current government who cut back on money for the NHS, support for education and benefits and say we should vote Labour instead, also generally think there's a problem with immigrants, but they generally just grumble and sign a petition here and there. There's the UKIP and BNP supporters who are usually fairly vocal on social media, writing long rants about immigrants and sometimes why we should leave the EU. Then there's Conservative supporters who believe that our government is great, cutting off money from the "scroungers", often generally middle-class or posh. And then I guess the Lib-Dems are similar to the Liberals of America, pro-gay, slightly feminist and fairly open to immigrants.

Still haven't chosen who I'll be supporting yet, I'd vote Green, but since it'd just be wasted I'll probably vote Labour.

Last edited:
Still haven't chosen who I'll be supporting yet, I'd vote Green, but since it'd just be wasted I'll probably vote Labour.

if Greens won we would have 100000 solar panels and 0 economy haha.
probably gonna vote labour myself. however, Conservatives have actually done a pretty good job so i'm considering them

Last edited:
the UK had the mighty boosh, and i have to say that is a brilliant show.

the thing with america taking the UK's shows and changing them is because most Americans don't appreciate British humor at all.
all the friend's i have introduced to shows from the UK all seem to either hate it completely or absolutely love it. there really is no middle ground.
a few others:
red dwarf
shameless ( although i agree i prefer the american version to this show)
wilfred was also originally from the UK i think...

That's another thing that I really notice about the US vs the UK. I'm always seeing Americans online bashing people, particularly on YouTube for which political party they support ("You're probably a dirty Republican." "[insert insulting comment about Liberals]" "[insult insulting comment about Conservatives]"). I often find it quite strange, but I guess Conservatives vs Liberals are in favour of opposing laws, though I don't get what Republicans are bashed for.

In the UK, most people couldn't really care which party you support, or at least wouldn't go as far as insulting someone for who they support. Hopefully this doesn't cause offense, but this seems to be the general stereotype of politics in the UK: You get a few people who are dissatisfied with the current government who cut back on money for the NHS, support for education and benefits and say we should vote Labour instead, also generally think there's a problem with immigrants, but they generally just grumble and sign a petition here and there. There's the UKIP and BNP supporters who are usually fairly vocal on social media, writing long rants about immigrants and sometimes why we should leave the EU. Then there's Conservative supporters who believe that our government is great, cutting off money from the "scroungers", often generally middle-class or posh. And then I guess the Lib-Dems are similar to the Liberals of America, pro-gay, slightly feminist and fairly open to immigrants.

when margaret thatcher died, there was an onslaught of political trash-talk coming from people of the UK. so no, this isn't strictly limited to the US.

why even have this thread when we all know it's going to be full of (improper) generalizations and stereotypes lol

I have a question. During the 1950's, how friendly were the British towards communists that lived in the UK? In the US, communists were treated harshly. We simply punished almost every who was communist or a communist sympathizer in America at the time. They couldn't get jobs, they were imprisoned, and their reputation was entirely negative. We were meaner towards communists than we were to the Native Americans. But I don't know how bad was the UK was at the time.

Do they have fanny packs over there?

Yea, they're called bum bags though. I dunno if that's the 'proper name' for them but it's what I hear them called.

'Fanny packs' aren't a big thing here though. The only person I've ever see use one is my grandad on holiday.

Last edited:
Some words like the c-word are acceptable in the UK or somewhat unacceptable. They do have some inappropriate meanings, but they're commonly said. But in the US, they are highly unacceptable.

Some words like the c-word are acceptable in the UK or somewhat unacceptable. They do have some inappropriate meanings, but they're commonly said. But in the US, they are highly unacceptable.

c-word?

Are we talking about **** or cr*p?

I always find that **** offends more people, for some reason women more. It doesn't really stop anybody from using it though from what I've noticed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back