• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Today I Learned: New Horizons Edition

I was curious about placing sock items on the ground and discovered this. It's cute and also gross.
Fud1JF-aAAAuUpn

Today I learned that curses are real!!! Ahhhhhhh!!!!​
So I was touring a DA I found on Pinterest and was running around their island. It was a desert themed island so I switched to my mummy outfit, which included a King Tut mask. As I was running I tripped and fell over. I had never seen this before! I looked it up online and found an answer. Apparently when you are running around in the mask, the “curse” of the mask makes you trip and fall over! What a fun feature!
93331C25-E273-4C66-87C0-8D12F45DB9F6.jpeg

Today I learned that I should have used that dive feature more often :-D It's kinda crazy that I went for a swim like 1-2 times in the whole time the update went live.

I was curious about placing sock items on the ground and discovered this. It's cute and also gross.
Fud1JF-aAAAuUpn
I like it. I kinda want to make a pool-side section and put that somewhere random.

Today I learned that curses are real!!! Ahhhhhhh!!!!​
So I was touring a DA I found on Pinterest and was running around their island. It was a desert themed island so I switched to my mummy outfit, which included a King Tut mask. As I was running I tripped and fell over. I had never seen this before! I looked it up online and found an answer. Apparently when you are running around in the mask, the “curse” of the mask makes you trip and fall over! What a fun feature!
View attachment 494194
Back in NL I remember that you could have lucky and unlucky days and you didn't need to get a fortune to have it happen. You could trip and fall (and if holding a balloon/coffee they would spill/fly away) and every time you sat somewhere you 'farted'

This wasn't exactly today but I learned that there's extra dialogue with Harv at Harv's Island! During the "relaxing hours" (i'm assuming after midnight) when you see Harv and Harriet just chilling by the campfire you can talk to Harv, and you get an option to ask "What's Up?"

The first time I chose that option Harv went on about Harriet's nickname "Hattie" (and she even displayed the shock reaction next to him lol). The second time I tried it tonight he talked about the yellow birds hanging around him to poop on him. Harriet reacted again which I thought was cute.

I'm not sure how much dialogue there is but I'm very happy to find this as I always liked Harv's character :)

This wasn't exactly today but I learned that there's extra dialogue with Harv at Harv's Island! During the "relaxing hours" (i'm assuming after midnight) when you see Harv and Harriet just chilling by the campfire you can talk to Harv, and you get an option to ask "What's Up?"

The first time I chose that option Harv went on about Harriet's nickname "Hattie" (and she even displayed the shock reaction next to him lol). The second time I tried it tonight he talked about the yellow birds hanging around him to poop on him. Harriet reacted again which I thought was cute.

I'm not sure how much dialogue there is but I'm very happy to find this as I always liked Harv's character :)
Interesting. I never came across their extra dialogue like that. I'll have to try that next time I play.

Kinda random, but today I learned that Dom is a newer villager, making his debut in New Horizons. (I made a vacation home for him and looked him up on Nookipedia…he’s adorable!)

Darner Dragonflies are way faster in this game compared to New Leaf. It took a while to be able to tell the difference between them and the Banded Dragonflies.

Also, I noticed that they don’t fly past the beach anymore so it’s easier to catch dragonflies because of it.

And coming back to this thread, TIL that rotten turnips can spawn flies! I thought only trash could but nope! Found a random fly on my rotten turnips today!

I have intentionally let Turnips rot to put onto the ground to get both the ant and fly for the museum. That fly took forever to get but the ants kept showing up.

Yup! I've had my rotten turnips for like two weeks now. Only one fly.

If you have cockroaches in your home, visiting villagers will immediately leave out of disgust. Very useful if you have that one neighbor who won't leave you alone.

Oh, you mean ALL VILLAGERS? :p

I just found out that in HHP…

You can expand the hospital!? I talked to the nurse and she asked for a donation to expand! I’m interested to see what the expansion looks like. Need to start thinking of ideas! My hospital is a naturopath doctors office. Based it on one I use to go to in Oregon!

Yup!
I also believe the restaurant and cafe can too!

Fud1JF-aAAAuUpn

This is the worst thing I've learned about the game, thanks! :p

Not technically today but about a month ago I had literally found out that scorpions and tarantulas will not attack you if you’re not holding a net. It’s like this in every game - I’ve been playing for over 13 years - and for some reason never found that out.

Also, I found out from someone that Tom Nook will have unique dialogue if you’ve never talked to a single villager on your island at all. He basically questions why you don’t “know” anyone on the island.

A very minor thing, but I didn't know that Leif bought weeds from you, and that he would give you more bells than if you sold them at Nook's Cranny.

just recently found out that you don't have to wait for the 'grab' animation to move items in your pocket around. you can pretty much just start doing it on the same frame you first start holding down 'a'

I already knew about this because I've always had her, but I wanted to have you, fellow forum user, to learn something new today!

Patty NH.png

So if you have Patty on your island, play the game at midnight on New Year's Day. It also has to be the Year of the Ox, so this already happened when 2021 came along, but it'll come again eventually. If you talk to her after the countdown, she may say something that is completely unique to her and nobody else...
As Patty is the only peppy cow in the game, this bit of dialogue is only uttered by her and not by any other peppy villager. Cool, huh?

The game gets repetitive after a while in terms of dialogue, but this little detail made me smile big when I played the game during that time. No wonder I've never let Patty leave my island.

You can convert poki into bells. I learned this from one of Dagnel's videos

today i learned that after midnight on a saturday, you can apparently stop into the roost and see k.k. slider there getting some coffee after his performance. i didn't know about that at all and thought it was really cute! <3

View attachment 512331
*not my pic*
this is so cute omg! i so sincerely miss the randomness of seeing villagers in the cafe from NL. at least there is this! thanks for sharing!

Back