• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Today I Learned: New Horizons Edition

Over the weekend I learned something when trying to boot out a villager. After the shop upgrades and before you get KK coming to your island, villagers do not get a thought bubble to move. They just run at you to give you random junk to increase your island rating.

Wasted hours trying to boot Quinn before I found a thread on this site that briefly mentioned this little known mechanic. After I got KK, got thought bubbles again. Wish I'd known before! At least the person who wanted to adopt her was very patient and cool about it and it worked out in the end.

I learned that when you build Snowboys on your island and if you have a user that recently transfered their Save Data onto your island they can talk to the Snowboy and get a DIY from them. This can only be done once when you arrive on the island for the first time or if you just created a new user.

It's not really "learned", but I noticed last night that the hermit crabs leave a trail in sand. It's just super small and not very noticable.

I did learn today, that the bottle letters do not in fact determine your camper. I thought they did because I noticed a couple of times in the past they matched. However, I have a new file now and not visiting anyone nor allowing others to come on my island. I have wrote down every letter I got, and my camper today was Nan instead of Shari, who I got my first bottle letters from.

T(well, Y)IL that I should have been emptying out the dumpster instead of just letting be full of cardboard and rando furniture/wallpaper/flooring from move-outs. I didn’t know there are a fair bit of items and clothing you can only get from there!

You can sit on a stump from the side or by walking into it backwards while the camera is in 1st person view. Can’t sit on anything else, just stumps.

I've had my side character for a couple years now and I only just got access to the custom designs pro editor and all that. I had assumed that I would need a NSO membership on that account to get access to the extra design slots + pro editor so I just never bothered 😅

I also recently learned that the light dirt in-game pathway changes the sound it makes when it's raining!

I never realized until today that you could see some weather conditions through the museum's lobby windows. I could make out cherry blossom petals, so I'm guessing I'll also be able to see rain, snow, and maple leaves when they happen.

Edit: rain is not viewable through the windows :(

Last edited:
If you have cockroaches in your home, visiting villagers will immediately leave out of disgust. Very useful if you have that one neighbor who won't leave you alone.

If you have cockroaches in your home, visiting villagers will immediately leave out of disgust. Very useful if you have that one neighbor who won't leave you alone.
Lazy says something along the lines of not realizing they already had guests. Considering they're always talking about their bug friends, they probably aren't disgusted lol.

Lazy says something along the lines of not realizing they already had guests. Considering they're always talking about their bug friends, they probably aren't disgusted lol.
That is such an Animal Crossing Logic the fact that Lazy villagers boast all the time about their bug friends and the second they see a roach they are like "Yeah no I am going to leave"

Maybe they come to your house to get away from the cockroaches, so they really are disgusted.

Apparently your starter villagers don't have the interiors they would have if they move in later. I wondered why Phoebe had all that cutesy looking DIY furniture.

Crafting the leaf umbrella counts as crafting tools. Either that or my Nook Miles Achievement gitched because I had only crafted the flimsy net, flimsy fishing rod and two flimsy axes along with the leaf umbrella and I got the 5 crafted tools Nook Miles reward anyway.

I just found out that in HHP…

You can expand the hospital!? I talked to the nurse and she asked for a donation to expand! I’m interested to see what the expansion looks like. Need to start thinking of ideas! My hospital is a naturopath doctors office. Based it on one I use to go to in Oregon!

Wart Jr is a cranky villager. I thought he was a lazy because of his eyes, oops.
Yeah sometimes the designs throw me off. I think there was a lazy that turned out to be a jock. But just looking at them they didn't look like they'd be into the jock personality/life.

Back