Using the Campsite method, I got a certain cat

Can anyone explain to me the fascination with Raymond? I just don't understand it. Why so popular?
Theres a few things!
1.) He's a cat, an already semi-popular villager type (not quite as much as wolves tho)
2.) His design, I think people really like the heterochromia aspect
3.) He's new, so new that there's no amiibo cards for him or the other new villagers, so theres higher demand than supply
4.) I think?? People really like smugs too??
5.) Probably more stuff I'm forgetting xD

There's a lot stacking on his popularity, it's all a matter of taste tho! He just happens to have a lot of attributes that are already popular :>

congrats on raymond! i can also confirm this method works really well to get him. i just filled up my town with every personality but smug and i got him as the second campsite visitor. the hard part is getting him to get the right person to kick out lol
What about this method this user posted?

Its with random move ins instead of campers. Does anyone know if it works?
this method works as well if you have no smug villagers but you risk getting a void villager instead of a random smug if you've traded recently.

Ahh I knew it worked! I got Raymond a similar way (and posted about it here!)

Some people said it wasn’t working but I knew it couldn’t just be a coincidence that I got Raymond so easily 😄

Huh this is interesting, thanks for sharing! I don't TT but I think I'm going to kick out my smug villager who I'm not super into, and see if that increases my chances over time of getting Raymond. As regards the joke, we're all under a lot of stress right now IRL, sometimes it helps to make dark jokes, or "gallows humor." I'm sure the person who made the joke didn't mean any negative things, it's just that when life is this stressful it helps some of us to make jokes about how bad things are. It's a natural coping mechanism. Hugs to the person who joked, because you made me chuckle and because I totally get how you felt when you were scolded.

finally resorted to this method because i was sick of island hopping, and, no joke, raymond blessed my campsite after only half an hour. he was my #4 camper! 😭

Oh man, I wish that were me! I'm not doing this for Raymond specifically, I was looking for a different cat, but it took me... six hours, lmao. It's been such a long day hunting kitties that I'm questioning whether I want to use this method again in the future because while it does work and that's AWESOME, it is super monotonous if RNG doesn't work in your favor (which the guide itself is clear about, I'm just whinging, haha)

Omg I just tried it out and got him as the fourth villager
it took longer to win that damn card game than to actually find him

here's my data, I started late August and skipped 7 days ahead after I found someone at my campsite and then +1 day until I found a new villager

020920 Lucha (smug)
120920 Leonardo (jock)
200920 Stella (normal)
011020 Raymond (smug)

Last edited:
Am I just unlucky? I am using this method to find Judy, after having no snooty villager, and my first 5 campers haven’t been a snooty personality.

3 cranky, 1 normal, 1 peppy.

But my personal feeling is that this is an animal crossing forum. I would rather not see jokes about people dying from a current event as real people are dying from a current event.
Once again, I apologize if my joke offended you. I just personally like the darker kind of humor and it's easy to let that kind of thing out sometimes. I don't personally find it to be "terrible" or "disgusting" (Mean choice of words :( ) but I understand how you might feel because of how it relates to what's currently happening today.

I also just want to apologize to the OP because I made a joke comment instead of adding to the discussion and now this is being discussed in the middle of actual constructive posts about the topic.

I tried this same method today, with success after ~8 hours of TTing. The most frustrating and time-consuming part was the day by day TTing to get someone in the campsite,, I feel like most of the time I went 10+ days without getting a visitor on top of the 6 skipped to max out the campsite spawn rate.

kitty.jpeg

Here's my data! I also had a large block of smug villagers near the end, but I don't know if it means anything about how the rng works, hm.
Screen Shot 2020-04-25 at 12.47.02 AM.png

0203E88D-60F9-41A9-8538-CAA9A1240DAA.jpeg

I got him as well through this method and I think it’s much more worth it than NMTs. Took me around 2 hours to get him (1 hour to search for him, another to get him to move in). I also came across a lot of other popular smug villagers I would have liked to have ^-^

Here’s my data:
5/4/20 - Stella
5/18/20 - Olaf
6/4/20 - Keaton
6/14/20 - Pietro
6/26/20 - Melba
7/11/20 - Kyle
7/21/20 - Zell
7/30/20 - Jaques
8/8/20 - Bertha
8/17/20 - Julian
9/3/20 - Raymond

Am I just unlucky? I am using this method to find Judy, after having no snooty villager, and my first 5 campers haven’t been a snooty personality.

3 cranky, 1 normal, 1 peppy.
No that happened to me too when I was looking for Judy. Some of those times one of my villagers was thinking of moving.

I'm just gonna say I hope this method starts bringing more Raymond's to those who genuinely want him and hopefully lowers the ridiculous insane value of all the greedy sellers not sorry LOL. some of us paid a lot of either in-game or tbt and no luck, this is just win-win for all <3 I saved 25+ mil and 150 NMT just doing this and i'm very glad others are seeing results : )

Thank you so much! I had to make an account just to say I got Raymond using this method! I started with all personality types except smug, took about 4 hours and I did encounter mostly smug types at my campsite. I time travelled from today's date and got him in October! I too hope more people will try this and save their hard earned bells/NMTs 👍🏻

wait - if you lose the card game you can just play again until you win and they will move in, no need to close the game. does this method only work if you win the first time or something?

Yoooo congratulations on getting dreamies with it! Are you planning on time travelling back to 2020 slowly over time or anything? Or just staying in 2020? :scared_ghost:

Congrats on Raymond! I think I should really try this method to get Wolfgang. Does timeskipping two years effect anything else besides weeds and the mail? 💖
Weeds and mail overflowing is pretty much the only thing that happens. Weeds in this game are less severe than in previous titles.

wait - if you lose the card game you can just play again until you win and they will move in, no need to close the game. does this method only work if you win the first time or something?
I think if you lose a card game, they won't play with you anymore or ask to move in. When this happened with Raymond, no matter how much I talked to him, he only asked again when I restarted the game.

Yoooo congratulations on getting dreamies with it! Are you planning on time travelling back to 2020 slowly over time or anything? Or just staying in 2020? :scared_ghost:
Well I am back in April 2020 in my game haha. I like to TT around the year, not necessarily TT to another year.

Weeds and mail overflowing is pretty much the only thing that happens. Weeds in this game are less severe than in previous titles.

I think if you lose a card game, they won't play with you anymore or ask to move in. When this happened with Raymond, no matter how much I talked to him, he only asked again when I restarted the game.

Well I am back in April 2020 in my game haha. I like to TT around the year, not necessarily TT to another year.

No he'll still forego the card game and say something along the lines of "even after I lost you still want me?" he always does this so you do not need to reset after losing : ) thought i'd clarify as I did this several times just to get a different villager booted haha.

To add you'll need to chat him up 4-6 extra times or so but he'll always try and move in from my experience^^

No he'll still forego the card game and say something along the lines of "even after I lost you still want me?" he always does this so you do not need to reset after losing : ) thought i'd clarify as I did this several times just to get a different villager booted haha.

To add you'll need to chat him up 4-6 extra times or so but he'll always try and move in from my experience^^
Wow you must have luck because that did not happen to me. He would not move in so I restarted. Same with Filbert, who I had a while back before doing this method and he too refused to move in after I lost. So I restarted and I won his game and he asked to move in. I didn't want him though so I didn't let him move in.

Back