• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

Villager Furniture Replacement Guide

Bioness

Mass Hysteria
Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
Switch
6883-5142-2421
Tasty Cake
New Horizons Token
Winter Mittens
Red Cosmos
A lot of people do not know about the datamine section of the ANCH discord, so I wanted to share the Villager Furniture Guide that was recently posted there since I know a lot of people on TBT have questions about house villager house furniture works.

It also includes a website that has all villager house interior layouts available (except the starter Peach Lazy layout).

House Viewer
Website
If you want to see what kind of furniture was originally in your villager's house,
or what kind and where the room markers are, you can use this website to view the layout of their house.
*to search keep typing the first letter of the villager name in the drop-down

Gifting
• Villagers can display items through gifting, buying an item out of your pockets, trading an item from your pockets, and some delivery quests.

• They will usually display valid items 1 day after obtaining, 2 days if gifted by mail. Note that non-furniture items may not be displayed in the same time period.

• Villagers can recieve up to 5 mailed furniture per day. They will try to display all 5 at once when they display them.

• Items that can't be placed normally, wallpaper, flooring, rugs, and *wall-mounted furniture can't ever be placed or replaced.
Floor Furniture
• In order for villagers to replace the default furniture on the floor of their house, the replacing furniture must be the same size and same category.

• Furniture in the categories 'Fixed' and 'DIYworkbench' cannot be placed nor replaced.
Room Markers
• Most houses have 1 or more empty spots called room markers where items can be placed. Usually they are 1x1 or 2x1 spots where any kind of placable item of the right size can go.

• Other types of room markers include: Fish, Insect, Music, ClothWall, ClothFloor (unused), and 2x2 (unused). ClothWall and Music are the only ways for villagers to place non-default furniture on walls.

• Villagers will prioritize placing furniture in room markers before replacing existing furniture on the floor. When choosing an existing furniture to replace, the choice is random between valid types or surfaces.

• Items in the basic 1x1 and 2x1 room marker spots don't need to be the same category to be replaced, any category of item can replace items in these spots.
Surfaces
• Furniture placed on surfaces don't need to be the same type or size to replace other furniture on surfaces.

• Certain categories can only be placed on the surface of specific categories, these are listed in both the ItemNpcRoomReplaceCategory and List of Items tabs.

• Some pieces of furniture require a valid surface to be placed and will never be placed on the floor, these are listed in List of Items.

• Some pieces of furniture normally have a surface or are placeable on a surface, but belong to a category that prevents these.

• Gifted furniture placed on surfaces will usually be moved around between valid surface spots daily.

• Items categorized as 'None' can only be placed on the floor, can only replace starting furniture also labeled 'None', can never have anything placed on top of them, and can be placed in room marker spots.
Seasonality
• Some furniture cannot be displayed unless it's the correct season.

• Once the season ends, any out-of-season furniture placed on surfaces will be removed. Furniture on the ground will stay until replaced.

• All season exclusive furniture is listed in the Seasonality tab.
Storage
• Villagers will store up to 32 pieces of furniture, including starting furniture in their houses. They store 24 pieces of clothing.

• They will start removing old furniture once they reach their storage limit, notably wall-mounted furniture, furniture placed on surfaces, or other non-displayed furniture.

• They are able to store furniture that they can't place. This can be exploited to empty their house of wall-mounted furniture and furniture placed on surfaces.

Test: do villagers remove oldest furniture first, or is it just random?
Restoration
• Gifting the original wall-mounted furniture of the original color after they removed it will let them place it back.

• Furniture that was originally on a surface will try to get placed in its original spot. By overflowing their storage to remove surface furniture you can make it very easy for villagers to place the originals in the right spots.

• If the surface furniture was originally on an invalid surface, regifting that furniture can still place it in the same spot, provided it is the exact same variation.

• Floor furniture will still replace valid things at random. The higher number of each category the villager has based on size, the chance of them replacing correctly is lowered.

• Mailing original furniture is a faster way to mass gift multiple furniture of the same category (and in general) than normal gifting.

• Mass mailing also increases the odds of getting it right compared to hand gifting. For example with 3 different furniture of one category of the same size will have a 1/6 chance by mail vs 1/27 chance by normal gifting.

• It is currently unknown if villagers can completely remove furniture from room markers, the current assumption is that it's not possible.

• This information still needs to be tested more and may not be completely accurate.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing! How do we access the datamine discord? Very interested

It is on the main Animal Crossing New Horizons discord, you have to scroll to the bottom of the channel list to see it. It is under "Unrestricted Play".

Thanks a lot for sharing! Maybe with the help of this guide I may correct the two umbrellas that Felicity decided to put on the floor... 😭

A reminder, this guide is also useful, if you want to just know what furniture a village might randomly place.

The Furniture Markers are the reason people are seeing clothing being put down in houses.

Not sure if I'm understanding the info here correctly. Does this mean that if you gift a villager enough wall-mounted lamps to fill up their inventory, their home will go back to its original layout?

I'm looking at the house model AN that's supposed to represent the starter uchi house, but my Ursala has a few furniture pieces that are not the same, like her sleeping bag instead of the wooden-block bed for instance. Can I just assume these pieces act the same way and if I sent her a bed of the same dimensions she would place it there? (I already gifted her a wooden bed on like day 2, but she just put it in the other "anything 2x1 can go here" spot.) Or can sleeping bags not be moved? (edit: found where it says they can, guess I'll have to try gifting her another bed lol)

Last edited:
Wow this is really cool. I’ll have to wait until I’m more awake to actually absorb all of the info lol.

Something of note, members have reported Villagers duplicating gift items in their houses (such as having two hats or two umbrellas). Supposedly this is caused by time travelling backwards after you give someone a gift, but I have not personally tested this.

I'm looking at the house model AN that's supposed to represent the starter uchi house, but my Ursala has a few furniture pieces that are not the same, like her sleeping bag instead of the wooden-block bed for instance. Can I just assume these pieces act the same way and if I sent her a bed of the same dimensions she would place it there? (I already gifted her a wooden bed on like day 2, but she just put it in the other "anything 2x1 can go here" spot.) Or can sleeping bags not be moved?

That is strange, it should have been replaced (my Uchi had hers replaced). I would assume there isn't anything that would stop it from being swapped out, you just may have to go through a lot of furniture since it pulls from their storage of 32 pieces. Try mailing her 5 pieces of the furniture you want her to have to increase the chances.

That is strange, it should have been replaced (my Uchi had hers replaced). I would assume there isn't anything that would stop it from being swapped out, you just may have to go through a lot of furniture since it pulls from their storage of 32 pieces. Try mailing her 5 pieces of the furniture you want her to have to increase the chances.
Okay I think I know why that happened - the wooden simple bed was the first furniture I ever gifted Ursala, and it may have gone in the general 2x1 spot because nothing was there before it. Since the game prioritizes filling up those spots before replacing any existing furniture. I looked at my old screenshots to confirm and yeah that's it. Guess I'll just gift her another bed and it should go there now that there's an ironwood cupboard in the 2x1 spot, lol

In other events, from comparing old screenshots of her house I've noticed her wallpaper changed at some point from the common white one to white brick. Weird.

I am so happy that you posted this here, because i was considering gifting Hazel a bed the same size of one of her mini tennis tables. She has 2 and no bed so I wanted to replace one of her tables with a bed. My poor girl only has a fold up chair...

My Audie has been displaying her Bunny day lamp ever since I gave it to her, so I’m not sure the seasonality limit is as clear cut as it seems. She has the generic Peppy starter house though, so maybe that matters?

Thanks for sharing! This might be helpful when trying to remove bugs and fish in villager homes.

I tried using this guide to swap out a piece of furniture in a villager's house but they did not display it. I made sure that the item was the same size and color as the item i wanted to replace. Do i need to try gifting it many times? Hazel has two green table tennis in her house. I gifted her a green racecar bed. Same size and color. Is there something else I need to consider? I don't think her table tennis are fixed or permanent items. Anyone have any idea?

so what about villagers displaying hats? I want my villagers to remove the hats in their homes but there was no furniture there to begin with so they displayed hats in open spaces

thanks for posting this, the resources are quite informative and useful! I have a question though - is it possible to see which furniture items belong to the "fixed" category on that nookstop website? (I'm trying to replace the wooden chest in my starter jock's house (listed as "HA" on the website I believe) and I'd like to know if it's "fixed")

also, here's another interesting problem. I visited someone's island yesterday whose Raymond had a replaced wallpaper and flooring. attaching a picture here. bell for your thoughts?

20200603_105142.jpg

I tried using this guide to swap out a piece of furniture in a villager's house but they did not display it. I made sure that the item was the same size and color as the item i wanted to replace. Do i need to try gifting it many times? Hazel has two green table tennis in her house. I gifted her a green racecar bed. Same size and color. Is there something else I need to consider? I don't think her table tennis are fixed or permanent items. Anyone have any idea?

I would try gifting more of the same item. Certain items may not get replaced until it is removed from their furniture inventory.
so what about villagers displaying hats? I want my villagers to remove the hats in their homes but there was no furniture there to begin with so they displayed hats in open spaces

Try gifting multiple 1x1 items to see if that will replace it. Also you can attempt to fill up their clothing inventory.

thanks for posting this, the resources are quite informative and useful! I have a question though - is it possible to see which furniture items belong to the "fixed" category on that nookstop website? (I'm trying to replace the wooden chest in my starter jock's house (listed as "HA" on the website I believe) and I'd like to know if it's "fixed")

also, here's another interesting problem. I visited someone's island yesterday whose Raymond had a replaced wallpaper and flooring. attaching a picture here. bell for your thoughts?

View attachment 269207
In the "List of Items" tab of the Google document, it has a list of items that are Fixed, it is between Fish and Food, there are only 28 items.

That person manipulated the game's code to give Raymond the wallpaper and flooring. It is not possible to change those features through normal gameplay, just like you can't changed their music.

Back