• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

What Are You Listening To?

This is probably the most underrated rock song I’ve discovered in the past year. The final track on this forgotten US band’s lone album from 1973, it’s their longest track by far (over 8 1/2 minutes compared to 4 on the next-longest track), and also the best. I sort of relate to its lyrics, as the chorus proudly exclaims, “So I’m goin’ down the road again, to find my place in life…”; I’m basically trying to do that with my social life at the moment.

The song itself is about the singer moving on from a past relationship by acting brave and not bringing themselves down in the process. It’s got a plentiful mix of loud and soft parts. It starts slow with a couple quiet vocal parts, going into two separate loud chorus lines. A different-sounding third vocal part appears near the middle, leading into one of two awesome guitar solos. After it finishes, it goes quiet again, with a long “la la” coda buildup, lasting over two minutes. After the final guitar solo finishes, the song quiets itself one last time as almost every member quietly finishes their instruments one by one. The great blend of slow and loud parts makes the 8 1/2 minutes worth it in my opinion.

The rest of the album - while all original compositions as well - is more AOR-sounding, as the rest of the tracks are around 3 minutes or less. It’s too bad that this band didn’t find success, because “Goin’ Down the Road” showed plenty of promises of what they could’ve been capable of.

Back