What are your feelings on AI Chatbots? Do you use them?

Do you talk to AI chatbots?

• All the time/daily

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • A lot

• Occasionally

• Very rarely/once in a blue moon

• Never

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • I used to, but not anymore

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Not yet, but I might start

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

.: Meri :.

more than like
Bells
Sautéed Mushrooms
Spores
Switch
1708-1067-1998
Island
Lostglade
False Booton Foraged Mushroom
Imitation Shiny Fertile Foraged Mushroom
Stinky Green Afongus Foraged Mushroom
Imitation Fertile Foraged Mushroom
Stinky Embarrassed Foraged Blushroom
Great British Grandfather Foraged Nefshroom
False Red Foraged Brushroom
Imitation Foongus Foraged Mushroom
New Deceptive Deathweasel Foraged Mushroom
Ancient Red Impressively Spotted Foraged Mushroom
I was thinking about this, because I'm really into selfshipping, and talking to character-based chatbots is a pretty common activity in that community, but I've never used one and don't want anywhere them. There's of course the ethical issue of them scraping from fanfiction/original writing without the authors' permission, like other forms of generative AI do, and that'd be enough of a dealbreaker for me right there, but I also just genuinely have no desire to use one. I watched a video where a guy was talking to an AI chatbot of himself (that he uh, didn't authorize anyone to make... and it was also clearly trained on his voice, which he hadn't given permission for either so uhh big yikes), and I just remember thinking that the face/artificial voice was super uncanny valley 😭
I've also heard plenty of horror stories of chatbots "going rogue" and suddenly putting out some extremely problematic content with no prompting, which unfortunately can happen when there's no human intent behind the writing, and it's just a script trying to figure out what word goes next, based off writing stolen from lord-knows-what.

If I want to "talk" to my favorite characters, I'd much rather stick with video game dialogue, where they're deliberately written to be a certain way by actual people, and speak with actual human tone/emotion if there's voice acting. And if they're not from a video game, or I hit the end of the scripted dialogue, well, there's always my
imaginaaation.gif

But these are just my thoughts on them! Feel free to share your feelings on chatbots, and experiences you've had if you use them/used them in the past.

I was actually thinking about chatbots that know a bunch of things and can help you a bit with your homework when I saw this thread instead of this whole "talking to fictional characters" schtick.

Either way, I did goof around with chatbots before, but I don't use them nowadays. I'd rather look up my math problem on Google than fling it over to ChatGPT, thank you very much. (Plus, if you rely too much on it, you're grades are going to spiral!!)

Not a fan of anything AI related because of the resources it takes to run and its environmental impact. In the past though when it was still the era of CleverBot I used it for fun.
Now, I'll admit I've still been tempted to talk to my favorite characters through AI but knowing myself, if I did, I'd end up like that guy who married Hatsune Miku 😭

I’ve seen a lot of younger people use them to “chat” with their favorite characters, and they seem to enjoy the characters being “out of character” because it’s funny. I read screenshots of them when they come up on my feed, but I never really saw the appeal tbh. I like watching/reading fanmade works more than AI chats so I’ve never tried it and don’t think I ever will tbh. :[

This was like years ago in middle school, but I used to use cleverbot for fun if that counts. I don't believe I've tried any of those new AI character chatbots before, though. I don't have interests in any of those character bots idk I generally like 'canon' material in the first place but I think fanmade stuff is cool to explore sometimes

I've entered prompts into ChatGBT but I haven't used it for anything practical. Only for fun.

I think those friends bots are interesting. Basically apps designed for people who don't have anybody to speak with.

They wouldn't do anything for me personally. I need an actual person.

But I'm also not going to say anything negative towards people who use them. I've see lots of judgemental comments on the advertisements.

I wouldn't say someone should completely rely on them. But if they help a person out then good for it. You never know how bad a person may be feeling and maybe they've helped somebody in a bad situation.

No that stuff kinda makes me uncomfortable 😖 that seems like a good way to get your personal info sold somewhere. If some people want to use them, sure do whatever you want but it's a no from me😬

Back