• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

what is your favorite type of bug?

Mine are ice crawlers! They’re rare insects found in cold environments around freezing temperatures. Despite being threatened of extinction due to global warming I managed to find one in an underground cave I was walking through in southern Washington state as a kid with my parents. We told the park ranger about it and they said we were really lucky to see one.

I love buggies because I am a Bug and I vibe w them hehehe 🪲💞

I actually commented about this before on my ask thread:
top one is definitely the Hercules Beetle! mostly because it's the largest beetle in the world, but also because its horns are funny lmaooo
I'm not sure if I could rank the other four, but if I had to pick four more I would choose the Giraffe Weevil (looks like he ate a pencil hehe), the Cyclommatus Stag (pincers are long asf), Queen Alexandra's Birdwing (never seen one irl but I bet it would be so awesome), and the Rainbow Stag Beetle (because of course colourful bois are my vibe) 💕
so yes, the hercules beetle is my favourite buggy, but there are so many great buggies that it's hard to choose just one, or even a few! I hope that I have the privlege (and courage lol) to hold a hercules beetle someday. 🥰
Post automatically merged:

Pill bugs. They're cute and when I come across one I like to pick them up and watch as they curl up into a ball or scitter around my hand!
fun fact, isopods are crustaceans just like crabs and lobsters! but the term "bug" has a pretty broad definition so it works hehe 😌

everyones favorite bugs are so cool! now I have more bugs to study!
Post automatically merged:

Mine are ice crawlers! They’re rare insects found in cold environments around freezing temperatures. Despite being threatened of extinction due to global warming I managed to find one in an underground cave I was walking through in southern Washington state as a kid with my parents. We told the park ranger about it and they said we were really lucky to see one.
omg that is so cool! your lucky!

i want to say centipedes but any time i see a centipede i feel immense fear
however i also love them and they look so cool and skitter so fast

but in order to have a normal answer that doesn't involve fear, weevil. theyre very whimsical little creatures, TO ME

weevil.jpg

I find some of them to be cool looking, like big beetles, butterflies, rollie pollies...
My favorite is probably moths even though I am not a fan of finding caterpillars.
Actually, I recently came across a youtube video in my feed about this guy building a terrarium for his rubber ducky rollie pollies he acquired from a friend. I don't know if he ever sees them though. They like to hide under leaves and stuff.

my favorite bug is moths!! theres so many different kinds of moths theyre so cute and silly i always get so happy when i see them outside

i really like stag beetles and butterflies and ladybugs and dragonflies too!! theres so many silly ones

I think butterflies are nice because I can always see them coming 🦋 bugs that zip zoom and buzz all over the place I really just can't handle. Those freak me out. It's my main gripe about warm weather: bugs are active and everywhere.

While I do think some of them look cool and are really interesting in terms of how they hunt prey and defend themselves against predators, I much rather admire them from afar. I especially don't like it when I'm caught off guard by something like a dragonfly or a bee with a serious case of the zoomies 🐝💨

I don't mind the ones I consider peaceful and gentle, like fireflies and ladybugs. In fact, when fireflies start appearing on warm, summer evenings, I like to think of it as a personal tradition of mine to go out and try catching at least one and look at it for a while, then let it go.

The giant beetles are really neat but boy I'd hate to hear one take off like a helicopter, lol

I find some of them to be cool looking, like big beetles, butterflies, rollie pollies...
My favorite is probably moths even though I am not a fan of finding caterpillars.
Actually, I recently came across a youtube video in my feed about this guy building a terrarium for his rubber ducky rollie pollies he acquired from a friend. I don't know if he ever sees them though. They like to hide under leaves and stuff.
probably moves the leaves to see them

Pill bugs are probably in my top 3. They're very cute. They roll into balls. They remind me of dinosaurs (there's no connection here so idk why) and they're just wonderful little things. ❤ I also think their predator, the woodlouse spider is a very striking spider, so that's very cool too.

Wolf spiders have also grown on me. I had a bad experience with one in the past when I was trying to overcome my bug phobia. "They're more afraid of you than you are them" does NOT apply to wolf spiders, unfortunately, and he was a little brat and tried to fight me when I was only moving him. That being said, I think it's cool they actively hunt (there's no sitting around for this bug!) and mother wolf spiders carry their children on their back. (It's so fascinating to see!) And, unlike other bugs where it can be easy to misidentify them, I guess there's something to be said for their distinctive stripes. Also it cracks me up when their eyes reflect the light. It makes them look goofy. 😭

I like most bugs, but my favorites are probably praying mantises, moths, butterflies, and millipedes. I came across a 5" American giant millipede while hiking about a month ago which excited me to no end, haha.

IMG_6016.jpeg

I love lightening bugs, I love them so much. 🥰 we also have a pet house spider named Cora. She is the daughter of our precious house spider, Matilda, who we saw make her egg sac and didn’t return. But in the same web, came a new, redder spider, Cora, who has the same tendencies and predictable times of coming out as her mom.

I don’t have a favorite since they all gross me out. I used to like lady bugs, butterflies even fish flies when I was a kid, but ow they all creep me out. I still think butterflies are pretty to see but I don’t want them to land on me or anything.

Butterflies! They’re one of the few bugs who don’t freak me out, and who I’ll gladly let land on me! I think all butterflies are so beautiful, it always makes me so happy whenever I see them flying around! 🦋
IMG_0142.jpeg
IMG_0161.jpeg
IMG_0174.jpeg
IMG_0187.jpeg
IMG_7502.jpeg

I’m also fond of caterpillars, ladybugs, dragonflies and rosy maple moths!

praying mantis’ and katydids always fascinate me. i like ciacadas when i see them out and about, even if they annoy me with how loud they are lol. roly-polies and spiders are still probably my favorite.

edit: how could i forget about butterflies and moths… both are awesome too!

butterflies, fireflies, dragonflies, and ladybugs :333

I am so glad people put the bug pics in spoilers. I slowly scrolled to avoid seeing one in particular, haha.

My favorites are stag beetles. I'd love to be able to pluck one off a tree. Another bug species I like a lot are leaf hoppers. They come so many different shapes and colors, plus they're so cuute.

Back