• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

Who are the best (and worst) kangaroo villagers? 🦘

Best villager?

• Astrid

Votes: 13 15.7%
  • Marcie

Votes: 15 18.1%
  • Mathilda

Votes: 22 26.5%
  • Rooney

Votes: 12 14.5%
  • Walt

Votes: 28 33.7%
  • Carrie

Votes: 8 9.6%
  • Sylvia

Votes: 9 10.8%
  • Kitt

Votes: 20 24.1%

• Total voters
I used to really dislike kangaroo villagers (back when they were a female-only species. Which only begs the question... Why are there no lioness villagers? We have all male lions but not one female? At least we have Claudia, Bianca and Bangle: tigresses. It would really have been an interesting idea to introduce some lioness villagers into the mix, just like NL introduced the only two male kangaroos, Walt and Rooney)

Back to the subject at hand... It's not until NL where I instantly fell in love with Walt that finally, FINALLY I can appreciate kangaroos, because I think they're awesome and really adorable IRL, it was a shame disliking the species in AC. Then they brought back Carrie with the Welcome Amiibo update (even though she was seen first in HHD I don't own that game) in NL, and seeing her in NH was just so nice! She appealed to me instantly because she's such a mom 🥰 those gentle, mellow eyes and cute polka-dot shirt 💖 finally a female kangaroo that I wholeheartedly enjoy! And as for the joeys in their pouches, yeah I used to think it was weird but now I think it's a cute touch. Walt and Carrie and her baby together as a loving family is pretty much my head canon lol~

So yeah, Walt and Carrie, king and queen 💞

imo the worst kangaroos are Rooney and Marcie. I think I would have appreciated Rooney more if 1) his design wasn't so ugly and 2) he was a jock rather than a cranky, and as for Marcie, I hate her eyes...nothing about her captures my interest.

walt is my favourite kangaroo, mathilda following shortly after. i really love their design and there’s just something about them that stands out. i love the way walt’s eyes are closed, and how he has a scar right under his eye. it makes him look tough, but cool. they chose the perfect colours to contrast it too. mathilda’s red beady eyes match ehr personality so well, she looks like she can take a fight, but she looks somewhat kind as well. both of them are really cool imo, but i think walt takes the top for me.

marcie is my least favourite, im sorry but that look just isn’t doing it. i don’t like her character design at all, the weird anime type eyes and her lipstick just makes her look off; sorry marcie!

Best for me is Kitt, I love the sleepy eyes and shes just.. adorable really.

Worst is Astrid. And actually one of my least favorite villagers in the game... she looks like one of those annoying "crafty moms" that join mlm schemes and just.. I just dont like her.. xD

Sylvia because she's the first villager I met on my first island, she was my bestie, she's also the first who gave me her photo, I miss her in my new island... I don't have any opinion on who is the worst though.

I am yet another person not personally in favor of the baby in pocket style of the kangaroo design, though of course it does make sense with the overall design and is the defining feature of the species to me. The baby is just odd to me, and in my own imaginary world of my island I imagine my villagers as being young children/ extremely childlike, so the baby does not really fit with that whole concept - which obviously I don’t expect anyone else to adopt, just explaining my personal disinterest in the species.

having said that, like many other villagers they have grown on me (at least somewhat), even though I am unlikely to every invite one to my island.

I voted for Kitt and I don’t know why exactly I like her the best, I just find her design the most pleasing. Marcie, Carrie, and Sylvia are also better in my mind, which may be just because I like their personality types.

My favorite Kangaroo is probably Astrid because of her clownish sort of design. I didn't really like Astrid until I made a hybrid circus and magic show-themed town in Animal Crossing New Leaf a few years ago, but then once I did, I came to appreciate her design and made her a resident. I'm also fond of Pietro and Marcel (if he counts since his is more of a mime) and I also wish Pierre was still around. I'd be up for more clown villagers in the future.

I also happen to like Mathilda, Rooney, and Walt.

My least favorite Kangaroo villager is Marcie because of the Judy-style sparkly eyes and lack of a nose.

As for the joey debate, I personally like them and that they match their mother's actions. It's fun.

I love Walt. He's got a great Japanese design like a ronin and his house is fabulous. His song is K. K. Lament which is somehow perfect.

I also have Mathilda and Astrid. I like them both. I think Astrid's design is fun and different and Mathilda is much nicer than her demon eyes would indicate. The only problem I have is that her catchphrase is "wee baby" and it sounds like she's calling me that and I am anything but a wee baby. It's kind of silly.

My favorite is Mathilda, she's got a simple yet solid design. Love the angry eyes the best, there's not enough villagers that look angry.

Least favorite is Sylvia, it's just the hair reminds me of those kind of moms. I don't dislike her though.

i really dislike the kangaroos in general, but i voted for kitt because i had her in my first new leaf town and she gives off that loving mom energy. least favorite is probably rooney just because i hate his color scheme

Rooney is one of my permanent villagers, so my vote goes to him.

To the people saying he should've been a jock, while I understand your face value opinion, Rooney is most likely named after Kevin Rooney, who was a former boxer and one of Tyson's trainers...so he actually fits the cranky/retired boxer personality much better.

If you want to go the Japanese route, his name is Mike, which again is most likely a reference to Mike Tyson...a retired boxer. So again, cranky fits better.

I wouldn't expect many people to know their boxing on this forum, but I enjoy it :)

...and I kept this little treasure as a testament to one of my favorite villagers ever, not just favorite kangaroo...

rooney1.jpg

I’m not the biggest fans of kangaroos in this game... it just a little weird to me that their baby is always in the pouch yet the villager never interact with or even acknowledge their babies.. if I have to pick though, Marcie would probably be the best. She has a very soft, dreamy color palette and sparkly eyes that I can see her fitting in some fairy core towns. The worst for me is probably Walt... because he’s always kinda angry looking

My favorite kangaroo is easily Walt. I love everything about him; his personality, his coloring, his expression, his scars, his style and his house. I've never had him but he's definitely a dream villager of mine.

My least favorite would be Marcie, keeping up with the trend of me rarely having a least favorite unless they are too pink for me to handle.

As far as the baby debate, it has never bothered me. I like the little joeys and think they're cute. The fact that they never grow up is something that I've become used to from years of watching cartoons with kids who never age. And I always imagine that they're mimicking their mothers' expressions because that's something that babies do. They watch and learn from their parents. That's just my take on it, though.

Last edited:
I voted for Marcie and Astrid for some reason... Although Walt has the benefit of not having a creepy mirror baby.

Best: Marcie, she has the best colour palette imo.

Worst: Astrid, I've come to resent her after seeing her so many times while island hopping + I'm not a fan of her design at all.

Best: All of them.

There isn't a single bad kangaroo.
I guess the one I like the least would be Rooney since I'm not in to sports but even he has a solid design.

Alongside sheep I consider kangaroos my favorite species.​

My favorite kangaroo is Sylvia. Her pink cheeks are cute and she's been in my new leaf town the longest out of all my villagers- she's still living there now! She's also just been generally nice to me by visiting my house a lot and giving me items i either didn't have yet or could sell for a lot of bells, like a throne one time. And she's a sisterly, my favorite villager personality.
I don't really have anything bad to say about her or the other kangaroos.

The best kangaroo is Mathilda imo. I love her color scheme and she looks confident and cool. I actually like the female kangaroos, despite the slight creepiness of the mimickry, because I think it's very fitting for children to do and unique. I do wish they were acknowledged, but that would require having species-specific dialogue, which... actually would be a cool idea for them to implement.

Worst is Marcie. Too pink and her eyes are creepy. Just not a fan.

i don't really like the kangaroos, the way the joeys mirror the moms kind of creeps me out and the male kangaroos just suck. the best one would probably be kitt though, she's the most friendly looking and has a soft, comforting colour palette. plus i can relate to those dark eye circles.

least favourite kangaroos are sylvia and marcie. i'll echo nefarious in that sylvia's haircut reminds me of karen-esque moms whose kids have rhyming or alliterative names, plus she's a shade of purple that i really don't like. marcie's lack of nose creeps me the hell out, and her tiny mouth doesn't help. she's almost faceless, she might be a demon who's to say

Back