• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Why is there a lack of summer holidays in America?

Alolan_Apples

“Assorted” Collector
Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
Switch
1624-3778-0694
Island
Palm City
Flower Glow Wand
Cool Balloon
Ghostly Kitty Plush
Yule Log
Yellow Tulip
Disco Ball Easter Egg
Orange Candy
Chocolate Cake
Apple (Fruit)
September Birthstone (Sapphire)
While every month is not without a holiday, there’s not very many major American holidays in the summer months (June, July, and August). Halloween, Christmas, and Easter may be huge in respect to other holidays, they are definitely not the only holidays in their seasons. But June, July, and August, there’s not very much. August has no major holidays (unless if you are to count Friday the 13th and the Summer Olympics (and in 2017, the Solar Eclipse)), and the only other major holidays in the other months are Flag Day, Father’s Day, First Day of Summer, and 4th of July. I know August does have some major holidays around the world, they are not observed in America.

Is there a reason why summer has fewer holidays? Or is this just a coincidence.

It could be that people "choose" when/what their "holiday" is for the summer since most people set up vacations from May - August, perhaps? Such as, maybe summer festivities in America is more of an individual celebration rather than a collective one 🤔 (As in, individual summer vacation plans could be what would be considered people's major summer holiday here)

[ Mimi ]

I think it may be because there isn't a Christian cultural holiday that's the equivalent of the summer solstice, while there are equivalents to the other solstice (Christmas), and the Equinoxes (Easter and Halloween)? Because of the lack of a major seasonal holiday and how the US can be really Christian-centric, that may be why it feels like Summer doesn't have as many.

I don'r know as much about holidays outside of Christianity (thanks, America) and paganism/similar, so I don't know anything (I do know there are Jewish summer holidays but not much about the specifics), but for Paganism there is Litha, the solstice, and Lughnasadh, a harvest festival, which take place during the summer.

I personally like to celebrate every day’s holiday if I am able to!
Happy Radio day and Chocolate Pecan Pie day!

There’s Labor Day. Summer doesn’t end until September 22, so Labor Day counts. I kind of like that there aren’t too many holidays in the summer. I just want to chill and go on vacation (when things aren’t bad).

Because we only need one 🇺🇸 🦅 🎇

121cf1f533668137bd52c27815b8a0b0.jpg

Geez,I'm glad there's a lack of summer holidays in the U.S.I live in Arizona and I'm not really in a celebratin' mood when its 117°F outside.(That's 47°C for everyone else.)I might make an exception for National Underwear Day(Aug.5) and Elvis week(the week of Aug.16)

Geez,I'm glad there's a lack of summer holidays in the U.S.I live in Arizona and I'm not really in a celebratin' mood when its 117°F outside.(That's 47°C for everyone else.)I might make an exception for National Underwear Day(Aug.5) and Elvis week(the week of Aug.16)
My personal favorite is Sneak a Zucchini on your Neighbor’s Porch Day, August 8th.

because school's already closed for summer lol

Everyone needs those holidays in the darker/colder months to keep people's spirits up. Winter can get depressing so here's some Christmas cheer to combat that lol.

We don't get a lot of time off in our country compared to Europe. We got tricked into being workaholics.

[ Mimi ]

I think it may be because there isn't a Christian cultural holiday that's the equivalent of the summer solstice, while there are equivalents to the other solstice (Christmas), and the Equinoxes (Easter and Halloween)? Because of the lack of a major seasonal holiday and how the US can be really Christian-centric, that may be why it feels like Summer doesn't have as many.

I don'r know as much about holidays outside of Christianity (thanks, America) and paganism/similar, so I don't know anything (I do know there are Jewish summer holidays but not much about the specifics), but for Paganism there is Litha, the solstice, and Lughnasadh, a harvest festival, which take place during the summer.
Maybe the U.S. didn't find any holidays they could "borrow" from other countries. :lemon: /s

Interesting answers. I do know that we have holidays celebrated for other countries (like St Patrick’s Day and Cinco de Mayo), but even still, there’s hardly any holidays like that in the summer. At least we TBTers have the TBT Fair in August, but that’s not a national holiday (it’s site-exclusive). I also know Civic Holiday (Canada) and Obon (Japan), but they have no meaning here in America. And although we do have freedom of religion and more religious diversity, it’s still predominantly Christian. We don’t even celebrate the more Christian-exclusive holidays (like Palm Sunday) since those are Catholic holidays, and Catholics are (and were) a religious minority in America.

Here’s an interesting fact. Most of the holidays in the other seasons, despite having some significance, aren’t very festive. If only festive holidays count, then they are New Year’s, Valentine’s, Mardi Gras, St Patrick’s Day, Easter, 4th of July, Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas, and maybe some others like April Fools and Mother’s Day since they can be celebrated. Most of them are just observance days, but even still, summer doesn’t have too many.

There’s another thing that summer lacks (at least in July and August) - professional sports championships. The Stanley Cup playoffs and NBA Finals are in the late spring, the MLS Cup and the World Series are in the fall, and the Super Bowl is in the winter. Granted, we do have the Summer Olympics, but that occurs once every four years (current one is delayed), and it’s a worldwide event.

'tis the reason why I start to decorate for autumn and Halloween in summer -- only to get tired of it and start to put Christmas decorations up in late October.

'tis the reason why I start to decorate for autumn and Halloween in summer -- only to get tired of it and start to put Christmas decorations up in late October.
is that avatar murder she wrote?

i don't do that..sounds fun though lol

but if it helps OP we only have like, midsummer in late june and that's it during summer. and we don't even celebrate halloween here...

[ Mimi ]

Yeah, that's pretty much why. I think that's why summer isn't really my favorite season compared to the others because nothing really happens lol. I do know that summer is usually viewed as the "spooky season" in East Asia like how we often view autumn as "spooky".

Back