11 year old film critic

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Nook said:
,Aug 17 2010, 11:41:59 AM]
Rawburt said:
It's funny that you let things an 11 year old kid says about film bother you.

I thought film was supposed to be fun.
I agree.

And how does this affect you, anyway? It isn't a bad thing that he doesn't like it as much as you, and since you enjoyed the movie more than him, why does it matter to you that he doesn't like it?

@Post above me
Hm, you do have a point about him not understand some of the movies. But how much work is put into the movie doesn't make a movie good or bad, it's good or bad work that does. If you put a bunch of bad work into a movie, it will be bad, and if you put a bunch of good work into a movie, it will be good. For example, a movie maker puts a bunch of work on his movie, but it has a bunch of cliches and horrible acting, so it will be bad. Another movie maker puts a bunch of good work into his movie, which consists of interesting things that have been done in little or no previous movies and good acting, so it will be good.
Though generally, it's the movies that have a lot of serious thought and work put into them that do the best. But nevertheless, if you were a big movie director and just spent 3 years of your life on a movie, would you want a an 11 year old kid reviewing it? It's an insult really.

David said:
Rawburt said:

It's just the fact that he's an 11 year old broadcasting an opinion about movies he doesn't even understand, both story wise, and how much work is put into them, on TV.
I just watched the video and honestly, I don't really see a problem with what he said.

He said in the review that the movie wasn't made for kids his age and that he just didn't understand it. But it seems like he at least knew the movie had merit. The only thing he did that might seem bad is give it a score of a C.

But, notice he didn't actually say the movie had anything bad about the movie itself in his review, just that he doesn't understand it. This is my problem with listening to reviews in the first place, most of the time people take the score more seriously than the critique. But really a score is just a number someone assigns to something that "feels right."

Also, to answer your other question, I can honestly say I like this kid, but I value the reviews over people who like the craft over the reviews of professional critics. I like the kid's enthusiasm for movies and I had fun with his review

That said, I know you're a filmophile and you live in a different world than people who just casually like movies, so I understand that you value professional criticism more. Just understand that he seems to be doing this for fun and not trying to pass himself off as having a professional critic.

(WOW, that might be the longest post I have.)

Rawburt said:
David said:
Rawburt said:

It's just the fact that he's an 11 year old broadcasting an opinion about movies he doesn't even understand, both story wise, and how much work is put into them, on TV.
I just watched the video and honestly, I don't really see a problem with what he said.

He said in the review that the movie wasn't made for kids his age and that he just didn't understand it. But it seems like he at least knew the movie had merit. The only thing he did that might seem bad is give it a score of a C.

But, notice he didn't actually say the movie had anything bad about the movie itself in his review, just that he doesn't understand it. This is my problem with listening to reviews in the first place, most of the time people take the score more seriously than the critique. But really a score is just a number someone assigns to something that "feels right."

Also, to answer your other question, I can honestly say I like this kid, but I value the reviews over people who like the craft over the reviews of professional critics. I like the kid's enthusiasm for movies and I had fun with his review

That said, I know you're a filmophile and you live in a different world than people who just casually like movies, so I understand that you value professional criticism more. Just understand that he seems to be doing this for fun and not trying to pass himself off as having a professional critic.

But still, if someone doesn't understand something, then they probably should not be reviewing it in the first place.

David said:
Rawburt said:
David said:
Rawburt said:

But still, if someone doesn't understand something, then they probably should not be reviewing it in the first place.
Aw man, you beat me to it.

David said:
[Nook said:
Rawburt said:

I agree.

And how does this affect you, anyway? It isn't a bad thing that he doesn't like it as much as you, and since you enjoyed the movie more than him, why does it matter to you that he doesn't like it?

@Post above me
Hm, you do have a point about him not understand some of the movies. But how much work is put into the movie doesn't make a movie good or bad, it's good or bad work that does. If you put a bunch of bad work into a movie, it will be bad, and if you put a bunch of good work into a movie, it will be good. For example, a movie maker puts a bunch of work on his movie, but it has a bunch of cliches and horrible acting, so it will be bad. Another movie maker puts a bunch of good work into his movie, which consists of interesting things that have been done in little or no previous movies and good acting, so it will be good.
Though generally, it's the movies that have a lot of serious thought and work put into them that do the best. But nevertheless, if you were a big movie director and just spent 3 years of your life on a movie, would you want a an 11 year old kid reviewing it? It's an insult really.
I wouldn't really care because there are better critics out there and that this doesn't affect at all because people who do understand it give it a good score.

Bacon Boy said:
However, the word "good" is an opinion word. I don't give a rat's ass to the rebuttal you give me, everyone that has taken 3rd Grade English knows any adjective describing something in a positive or negative matter is an opinionated word. Like food, "That Shrimp Piscatti wwas amazing!" Opinion. For, it may be disgusting to someone else. Just like movies. Inception may have been amazing to you, but to others, it may have been terrible. Don't go spouting off your opinions as indisputable facts because you value your opinions higher than anyone else's. You're turning into a version of Tye.
Again, the elements that make up a well done film, outweigh any opinions.

[Nook said:
,Aug 17 2010, 12:09:00 PM]
David said:
[Nook said:
Rawburt said:

I agree.

@Post above me
I wouldn't really care because there are better critics out there and that this doesn't affect at all because people who do understand it give it a good score.
There's still tonnes of people watching this, and the kid not understanding it could turn them away from going to see it. Which isn't at all fair for Nolan.

David said:
Bacon Boy said:
However, the word "good" is an opinion word. I don't give a rat's ass to the rebuttal you give me, everyone that has taken 3rd Grade English knows any adjective describing something in a positive or negative matter is an opinionated word. Like food, "That Shrimp Piscatti wwas amazing!" Opinion. For, it may be disgusting to someone else. Just like movies. Inception may have been amazing to you, but to others, it may have been terrible. Don't go spouting off your opinions as indisputable facts because you value your opinions higher than anyone else's. You're turning into a version of Tye.
Which is false. You can look at Avatar and say it's a a great movie. But if one despises it, to them, it's a terrible movie. You can look at the aspects of a movie, such as storyline, special effects, etc. all you want, but unless people like it, it's a terrible movie. Filmmakers rely on the audiences for making their movie a success. Having hundreds upon thousands of people watching it and liking it makes it a good movie in the audiences' and the filmmakers' eyes. Without an audience that likes the movie, the technical aspects mean absolutely nothing.

David said:
[Nook said:
David said:
[Nook said:
Quoting limited to 4 levels deep
There's still tonnes of people watching this, and the kid not understanding it could turn them away from going to see it. Which isn't at all fair for Nolan.
He's 11, so they would just take his opinion with a grain of salt.

[Nook said:
,Aug 17 2010, 12:24:11 PM]
David said:
[Nook said:
David said:
There's stupid people out there.

Bacon Boy said:
David said:
Bacon Boy said:
Which is false. You can look at Avatar and say it's a a great movie. But if one despises it, to them, it's a terrible movie. You can look at the aspects of a movie, such as storyline, special effects, etc. all you want, but unless people like it, it's a terrible movie. Filmmakers rely on the audiences for making their movie a success. Having hundreds upon thousands of people watching it and liking it makes it a good movie in the audiences' and the filmmakers' eyes. Without an audience that likes the movie, the technical aspects mean absolutely nothing.
This.
You can't call something good if it is not liked. It doesn't matter if it should be a masterpiece based on the things you put in it, if people watch it and say that it was a piece of *censored.2.0*, it's no good.

David said:
[Nook said:
,Aug 17 2010, 12:24:11 PM]
David said:
[Nook said:
There's stupid people out there.
But still, every movie has at least one critic who doesn't like it much. That movie probably gets as much likers and viewers as the average movie.

Bacon Boy said:
David said:
Bacon Boy said:
It's not false, lets take Avatars plot for example. Yes people will like it and they're gonna always have an opinion. But that doesn't change the fact that ultimately in the end it's still a long, unoriginal plot, that doesn't require much thinking.

It's funny how when David gives the technical argument everyone disagrees with him, but when Bul gave it on music everyone agreed with him. It was the exact same situation too.

"The movie wasn't really made for people my age..." - 11 year old
"Yeah." - CBS Guy
"BUT IT WAS SOOOOOO CONFUSING!!!!!" - 11 year old

Later:

"BUT AAAANNYTHING IS BETTER THAN INCEPTION!!!!!!" - 11 year old

Jas0n said:
It's funny how when David gives the technical argument everyone disagrees with him, but when Bul gave it on music everyone agreed with him. It was the exact same situation too.
I think I stayed out of the technical argument.

Rorato said:
"The movie wasn't really made for people my age..." - 11 year old
"Yeah." - CBS Guy
"BUT IT WAS SOOOOOO CONFUSING!!!!!" - 11 year old
Explains all.

Jas0n said:
I know right? :S

I'm going to agree with David on this one. The kid is at an age where different movies will have a greater appeal to him than others. And Inception still was a great movie despite what he says. I'd also like to note that yes, it is an opinion, but if a critic is going to give a bad review for something that has received praise from the majority of people, then that person isn't necessarily a good critic. Please keep in mind that what I just mentioned isn't always the situation, but for Inception, I think it fits rather nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back