• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Animal Crossing Mobile game announced

Seems to be that the Animal Crossing mobile game (and Fire Emblem) will be free-to-play and not include in-app purchases. Pray this will be the case

https://mynintendonews.com/2016/05/11/animal-crossing-and-fire-emblem-mobile-will-be-free-to-play/

In-app purchases is what free-to-play basically means though. Like that term was essentially created as a nicer way of saying "game you can download for free but pay money through in-app purchases". This is actually just a confirmation that it will be an in-app purchase hell as far as I can see. :p

This is probably why Nintendo in their PR has started using the term "free-to-start" instead of "free-to-play" as it's more genuine of what it really means. (as in that they expect you to spend money later, it's just free to download) See: https://www.nintendo.com/games/free-to-start-games

If this was coming from Nintendo PR messaging and not from a DeNA official through WSJ, I'm sure they'd have used that term instead and I'm sure that's what they'll call the game later this fall.

EDIT: Actually, they did say free-to-start in the actual article:

“‘Fire Emblem’ and ‘Animal Crossing’ are both free-to-start apps,” DeNA Chief Executive Isao Moriyasu told The Wall Street Journal.

WSJ and other sites (including my own) are just saying free-to-play because it's the more widespread term.

I would be more excited if I wasn't worried about where this might be headed...

So the AC game would be free to own with in app purchases? I hope you don't have to put in your credit card information every time your character buys something with bells in the game.

Actually, Miitomo is quite light on the microtransaction side of things. I suspect Animal Crossing shouldn't be too bad either.

Back