• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

Animal Crossing New Horizons has gone 2 months without an update and we’re going into July with not only no new features or events but nothing new at

By the way, I have been comparing numbers from NL to NH since a long time ago, you seem to have the numbers for previous games based on the comment that this game has less furniture. Can you please share the numbers for previous games? I had access to the numbers of NL and NH due to the databases that exist like moridb and Nook's Plaza, but wasn't even able to find for other games and I'd appreciate to have some info for older titles!

From looking at MoriDB, not including wallpaper/flooring/fossils/art and color variations, there are approximately 1,750 individual pieces of funiture in New Leaf (rounding down).
MoriDB lists 80 furniture series/sets in New Leaf according to this list http://moridb.com/items/sets/

On VillagerDB, https://villagerdb.com/items/furniture?game=nh, 1227 pieces of furniture are listed, also not including wallpaper/flooring/fossils/art and not including color variations.
According to this list, New Horizons has 36 furniture sets https://odealo.com/articles/animal-crossing-new-horizons-furniture-sets.

Feel free to correct me or point me towards some more sources if you have numbers that are different than mine. I myself was surprised at the low amount of furniture sets I found for New Horizons. But why are you asking me forthe numbers for older versions of AC? I actually didn’t mention or implied anything about the older games other than NL in my last comment so idk what to say to about that.

However, I don’t actually need to get into a numbers game to prove my point. I think that the difference in furniture variety between NL and NH is hard to ignore. Consider the vast amount of styles that were available in NL. What happened to the Rococo, regal, sleek, princess, gorgeous and Gracie furniture sets? What about the huge variety of houseplants that was available in New Leaf? There are also much more food items in New Leaf as well.

It's cool that you went to classes and your job during the pandemic, I'm also still working from home. I don't agree that you can safely say that the developers didn't work hard at the game but hey, that's your own opinion based on what little we know about this. It also doesn't matter that the quarantine helped Nintendo (hint, it helped the whole industry on the sales-side of the business but it was a detriment to the whole industry on the research and development side, based on the information given by the companies, the developers and the analysts of the industry).

In regards to this, yup, all of us know very little or nothing about what really goes on inside of Nintendo. But from the outside, they are a huge international corporation that made huge $ off Animal Crossing, promised AC fans a bunch of upates, and didn’t keep good on their own hype. It looks to me like they dont have their **** together and it’s a bad look, considering that people like you and me managed to keep our **** together. The individual developer on the ground floor isn’t who I have my beef with, it’s the people on top at Nintendo not using their resources (developers are a resource) to the extent they are capable of. They got our money in March 2020. What did they spend it on?

Thank you! I try to relay what the datamine contains because not everyone knows what's happening behind the scenes. Most people only get to see the new items but not really what's in the code. It also helps avoid misinformation (that most AC "influencers" exaggerate for clickbait).
Yeah even when I look at the datamine leak stuff myself, I sometimes can't make it out. So having someone more knowledgeable break it down really helps. And I really appreciate that and that you take the time to do so.

From looking at MoriDB, not including wallpaper/flooring/fossils/art and color variations, there are approximately 1,750 individual pieces of funiture in New Leaf (rounding down).
MoriDB lists 80 furniture series/sets in New Leaf according to this list http://moridb.com/items/sets/

On VillagerDB, https://villagerdb.com/items/furniture?game=nh, 1227 pieces of furniture are listed, also not including wallpaper/flooring/fossils/art and not including color variations.
According to this list, New Horizons has 36 furniture sets https://odealo.com/articles/animal-crossing-new-horizons-furniture-sets.

Feel free to correct me or point me towards some more sources if you have numbers that are different than mine. I myself was surprised at the low amount of furniture sets I found for New Horizons.
I said "at the time", meaning that after a year and a half after release, NL had 1,271 and NH currently has 1,199 (72 less furniture items). The welcome amiibo update, released 4 years later, added 493 furniture items to New Leaf.

But why are you asking me forthe numbers for older versions of AC? I actually didn’t mention or implied anything about the older games other than NL in my last comment so idk what to say to about that.
Apologies, you said "It truly is incomplete IMO, just from simply the amount of content there is. Very few furniture options for example. Less than any previous game.". I thought saying "any previous game" meant every game, not only the previous game!

However, I don’t actually need to get into a numbers game to prove my point. I think that the difference in furniture variety between NL and NH is hard to ignore. Consider the vast amount of styles that were available in NL. What happened to the Rococo, regal, sleek, princess, gorgeous and Gracie furniture sets? What about the huge variety of houseplants that was available in New Leaf? There are also much more food items in New Leaf as well.
This is then, another whole point entirely. It's just that people have some preferences and the perceived quality is something that can't be measured- on the furniture thread this exact point of "variety" was brought. Thanks to the furniture sets, New Leaf had around 95 chairs or 55 beds while NH features like 35 chairs and 25 beds. So yes, if you're looking for variety of the same function (a thing to sit on and a thing to sleep on), New Leaf had more variety. At the same time, if you're looking for variety of functionality, NH kind of has more of that. Comparing things like the seasonal sets, where the old spooky set had the standard array of chair/dresser/bed/closet/lamp while the new set has a carriage/tower of jack o' lanterns/garland/candy set.

While an argument kinda can be made for New Leaf having it a bit better as a whole on both kinds of "variety" due to its sheer number of items, that amount only came after the amiibo'd version and they also weren't developed for HD (and some kind of "variety" also comes with the customisation/variants, of which NH has more). I know that people seemed to love certain kind of items, and some aren't willing to try anything new, but that's... highly subjective. I personally prefer the way NH does things, I don't need extra 60 chairs, I prefer the ability to have less chairs and a decent amount of wreaths and lots of critter models for example. I don't really care about all the furniture sets you listed. But I know other people will say the opposite- which only means that blank statements about "lack of content" are not really true, because there is tons of content, quantifiable with numbers. Everyone is gonna have preferences, subjective, of what furniture items they prefer and that's ok.

While on the whole, furniture is about the only kind of item where NH is behind NL, I'm just unable to wrap my head around the concept that having 1,200 furniture items is synonymous with all the things people use to describe their perceived lack of content. But, different tastes? I guess.

In regards to this, yup, all of us know very little or nothing about what really goes on inside of Nintendo. But from the outside, they are a huge international corporation that made huge $ off Animal Crossing, promised AC fans a bunch of upates, and didn’t keep good on their own hype. It looks to me like they dont have their **** together and it’s a bad look, considering that people like you and me managed to keep our **** together. The individual developer on the ground floor isn’t who I have my beef with, it’s the people on top at Nintendo not using their resources (developers are a resource) to the extent they are capable of. They got our money in March 2020. What did they spend it on?
I mean, they promised updates while showcasing an image of the holidays and after each new update they only promised a little face. They delivered that. There was no big hype- that kind of hype was only on the fans' heads.

I don't know, the AC developers being able to deliver what they promised and even more, while being harassed off social media thanks to the community and trying to survive avoiding crunch as a whole seems pretty good for me. Sure, the industry as a whole doesn't have the bar raised very high either but what can we do. From their financials we can infer some amount of money has been going into R&D, and I can only hope it also goes into the pockets of some developers.

Was there a chance that the developers (or the top management) could have done much better? Yeah. That also kind of applies to everything though- no product, especially a videogame, has gone without criticism and less so recent videogames where more and more people are on the Internet and they have a need to tell you why something they dislike sucks.

I agree with you that I think complaints should be constructive, but at this point I can’t really blame even the non-constructive ones unless they are just copy and pasted from another thread or something.
I dunno, after a year where lots of criticism of NH has been the total opposite of constructive, maybe I'm a bit jaded. People trying to pass their opinions and preferences as facts, lying about the content on the game, overhyping everything from the good old days and disregarding everything from the recent game just because reasons and doomposting every 5 minutes...

Maybe I'm still mentally scarred about how people just raged about how some dumb beans didn't make the exact same sound as the previous game and used the fact that animals not responding with 1 exact reaction was an indicative of the game being soulless or something.

I said "at the time", meaning that after a year and a half after release, NL had 1,271 and NH currently has 1,199 (72 less furniture items). The welcome amiibo update, released 4 years later, added 493 furniture items to New Leaf.

Apologies, you said "It truly is incomplete IMO, just from simply the amount of content there is. Very few furniture options for example. Less than any previous game.". I thought saying "any previous game" meant every game, not only the previous game!

This is then, another whole point entirely. It's just that people have some preferences and the perceived quality is something that can't be measured- on the furniture thread this exact point of "variety" was brought. Thanks to the furniture sets, New Leaf had around 95 chairs or 55 beds while NH features like 35 chairs and 25 beds. So yes, if you're looking for variety of the same function (a thing to sit on and a thing to sleep on), New Leaf had more variety. At the same time, if you're looking for variety of functionality, NH kind of has more of that. Comparing things like the seasonal sets, where the old spooky set had the standard array of chair/dresser/bed/closet/lamp while the new set has a carriage/tower of jack o' lanterns/garland/candy set.

While an argument kinda can be made for New Leaf having it a bit better as a whole on both kinds of "variety" due to its sheer number of items, that amount only came after the amiibo'd version and they also weren't developed for HD (and some kind of "variety" also comes with the customisation/variants, of which NH has more). I know that people seemed to love certain kind of items, and some aren't willing to try anything new, but that's... highly subjective. I personally prefer the way NH does things, I don't need extra 60 chairs, I prefer the ability to have less chairs and a decent amount of wreaths and lots of critter models for example. I don't really care about all the furniture sets you listed. But I know other people will say the opposite- which only means that blank statements about "lack of content" are not really true, because there is tons of content, quantifiable with numbers. Everyone is gonna have preferences, subjective, of what furniture items they prefer and that's ok.

While on the whole, furniture is about the only kind of item where NH is behind NL, I'm just unable to wrap my head around the concept that having 1,200 furniture items is synonymous with all the things people use to describe their perceived lack of content. But, different tastes? I guess.

I mean, they promised updates while showcasing an image of the holidays and after each new update they only promised a little face. They delivered that. There was no big hype- that kind of hype was only on the fans' heads.

I don't know, the AC developers being able to deliver what they promised and even more, while being harassed off social media thanks to the community and trying to survive avoiding crunch as a whole seems pretty good for me. Sure, the industry as a whole doesn't have the bar raised very high either but what can we do. From their financials we can infer some amount of money has been going into R&D, and I can only hope it also goes into the pockets of some developers.

Was there a chance that the developers (or the top management) could have done much better? Yeah. That also kind of applies to everything though- no product, especially a videogame, has gone without criticism and less so recent videogames where more and more people are on the Internet and they have a need to tell you why something they dislike sucks.

I dunno, after a year where lots of criticism of NH has been the total opposite of constructive, maybe I'm a bit jaded. People trying to pass their opinions and preferences as facts, lying about the content on the game, overhyping everything from the good old days and disregarding everything from the recent game just because reasons and doomposting every 5 minutes...

Maybe I'm still mentally scarred about how people just raged about how some dumb beans didn't make the exact same sound as the previous game and used the fact that animals not responding with 1 exact reaction was an indicative of the game being soulless or something.

I haven’t seen anyone presenting their opinions as facts here.

Mentally scarred?

Last edited:
Actually I’m sorry because i did use the wrong word and misled you.

How can you seriously say that variety is another point entirely?
My original comment, i said that i feel the game is unfinished and there’s less furniture. First of all, the numbers still did actually prove me right anyway, but that was seriously not the point I was trying to make. And of course Variety is definitely a factor in how complete a game would feel. You can’t just declare that variety in furniture series doesn’t matter just because it doesnt personally matter to you. This thread was meant for declarations of opinion anyway, so why are you saying that my opinion, which I believe that the lack of variety in furniture makes me feel like the game is unfinished, is “another point entirely”, when it was my point exactly? Lol.

Okay, well I’m sorry that you witnessed all that from the internet, but I really don’t see all of that stuff going on over here on TBT forums. I don’t think it’s nice that you‘re making these broad generalized statements about people lying, overhyping, raging, and being dumb as if anyone here was doing that. If it was on one of the rant threads, then they were at the right place for it, so I would avoid those threads if you don’t want to get mentally scarred again. But as for as I’ve seen, everyone on TBT has been really nice and able to have healthy dialogue.

I haven’t seen anyone presenting their opinions as facts here.

Mentally scarred?

Why did you click on the thread if it bothered you that much?
Yeah, some people do present their opinions as facts. The mentally scarred comment is not 100% serious, it's not that deep. (don't worry, if you were actually worried?)

Actually I’m sorry because i did use the wrong word and misled you.
No worries!

How can you seriously say that variety is another point entirely?
My original comment, i said that i feel the game is unfinished and there’s less furniture. First of all, the numbers still did actually prove me right anyway, but that was seriously not the point I was trying to make. And of course Variety is definitely a factor in how complete a game would feel. You can’t just declare that variety in furniture series doesn’t matter just because it doesnt personally matter to you. This thread was meant for declarations of opinion anyway, so why are you saying that my opinion, which I believe that the lack of variety in furniture makes me feel like the game is unfinished, is “another point entirely”, when it was my point exactly? Lol.
I mean, maybe I just misunderstood your original point, which read that there is "very few furniture options"- that's why I put the "I can't wrap my mind about how 72 less items is considered very few". There was no talk about your personal preference of which kind of furniture you liked until later. So, apologies if you were talking about what kind of variety you like from the start, I didn't pick that up.

I simply pointed out how "variety" has lots of nuance to it, because yeah, as you said, variety is a factor on how we feel about something. But I think it's interesting and much more rich if we're able to look at all the nuance a broad term such as variety has, and how it's a highly subjective matter. You, and other people, liked the option of choosing from 95 different chairs. Me, and other people, like the option of choosing from 35 different chairs and other things or don't really mind.

I never said/declared variety doesn't matter! What? I literally said the opposite:

I know that people seemed to love certain kind of items, and some aren't willing to try anything new, but that's... highly subjective. I personally prefer the way NH does things, I don't need extra 60 chairs, I prefer the ability to have less chairs and a decent amount of wreaths and lots of critter models for example. I don't really care about all the furniture sets you listed. But I know other people will say the opposite- which only means that blank statements about "lack of content" are not really true, because there is tons of content, quantifiable with numbers. Everyone is gonna have preferences, subjective, of what furniture items they prefer and that's ok.

So, I either need to make my posts even clearer or I need to stop trying to have nice discussions.

Okay, well I’m sorry that you witnessed all that from the internet, but I really don’t see all of that stuff going on over here on TBT forums. I don’t think it’s nice that you‘re making these broad generalized statements about people lying, overhyping, raging, and being dumb as if anyone here was doing that. If it was on one of the rant threads, then they were at the right place for it, so I would avoid those threads if you don’t want to get mentally scarred again. But as for as I’ve seen, everyone on TBT has been really nice and able to have healthy dialogue.
All that stuff has indeed happened here and not on the Rant thread or the totally not Rant thread. Less than on other parts of the Internet, but everything I said took place here (except the being dumb? I never said anything about people being dumb. ?????? Is it because I said the beans, a fictional object from a videogame, were dumb????)

Any day/week now. August is approaching fast, and if IIRC, they usually drop update announcements on Tuesdays or Wednesdays. Though, if the Firework Shows is the only thing we're getting, we'll probably just get a Twitter announcement at the end of the month and nothing else. Correct me if I am wrong, but we haven't had an update trailer since Sanrio ( Feb 25, 2021 ).

The Summer Wave 2 update, which introduced the fireworks shows last year, was revealed on July 28, and dropped on July 30. So we may have a couple weeks yet.

Any day/week now. August is approaching fast, and if IIRC, they usually drop update announcements on Tuesdays or Wednesdays. Though, if the Firework Shows is the only thing we're getting, we'll probably just get a Twitter announcement at the end of the month and nothing else. Correct me if I am wrong, but we haven't had an update trailer since Sanrio ( Feb 25, 2021 ).

The Summer Wave 2 update, which introduced the fireworks shows last year, was revealed on July 28, and dropped on July 30. So we may have a couple weeks yet.
First day of August is also a Sunday so they may very well leave it to the last minute 😅
I think they're done with the trailers now that the game's been out for over a year now, I wouldn't expect any more unless it's to announce something major.

Typically we’ve gotten an announcement before the start of the next month to announce all the new things for that month. The last update [for Animal Crossing: New Horizons] in late April only added a single item to two pre-existing events and a hand full of nook shopping items and that was it, the entire update for 2 months. Now we’re going into July without even that. I figured now would be the time for a feature addition due to the lull in events in the next couple months but I almost feel like we’ll get nothing at all. Well what do you guys think? Is an update still on its way? Is it time to give up on the game and accept there’s not going to be any meaningful updates?

I am not going to predict.

Right now, I also sense this is a Dead Game.

That doesn’t mean it will stay that way.

What may explain it is that the people at Nintendo—and I mean certainly including the game developers—don’t truly understand Animal Crossing being so versatile in its overall appeal. (Not all people appreciate, and approach, playing the game in the same way.)

So, Nintendo and the game developers have not thought the game through.

This, as it has been described, incomplete game is OK if one doesn’t mind taking and staying on the journey for however long it can play out until the creation, manufacturing, and selling of the next big Animal Crossing. (There was a seven- to eight-year period between New Leaf and New Horizons. In between, with release in 2015, was Happy Home Designer which brought us the amiibo cards.)

The problem, with New Horizons, is that there are people who will not continue with the journey. (That they feel it is no longer worthy of their time.)

Content creators—the ones who viewers may find very engaging on the likes of YouTube and Twitch—are challenged. Some of them make their incomes from livestreaming games. They can’t wait on Nintendo and the game developers and refrain from moving on to other games.

What a dilemma.

I think people who are playing the game at their own pace should not be overly influenced by what others say and do. But, it is very reasonable to question what more may come; to question if anything more will come.

I think it reasonable to feel anxious; concerned.

I also think people should look to past results—as at least one other forum member commented—as a possible guide.

It is up to people—each individual—to figure out whether one wants to continue playing Animal Crossing: New Horizons.

@JKDOS Actually, I don't believe we got a legit trailer for the sanrio cards either. It was just like the May Day/Wedding day update page. So it was whatever was before that. I think Mario? That one was tacked into a Nintendo direct. So the last dedicated one we had where NH got its own trailer by itself was for the Festivale event and Pave.

So it's been a while. About 5 months give or take.

@JKDOS Actually, I don't believe we got a legit trailer for the sanrio cards either. It was just like the May Day/Wedding day update page. So it was whatever was before that. I think Mario? That one was tacked into a Nintendo direct. So the last dedicated one we had where NH got its own trailer by itself was for the Festivale event and Pave.

So it's been a while. About 5 months give or take.
Sanrio did get a standalone trailer:
I don't blame you for forgetting, though. February feels like forever ago by now.

Maybe I don't remember it that well because all the other trailers had a voice-over and this one was just showing us it. That's probably it lol. I still can't believe Nintendo actually advertised this update, but failed to make enough cards so most people could enjoy it.

Maybe I don't remember it that well because all the other trailers had a voice-over and this one was just showing us it. That's probably it lol. I still can't believe Nintendo actually advertised this update, but failed to make enough cards so most people could enjoy it.
I still don't understand that mentality. I'm not in business so I may be missing something but wouldn't selling more only make them more money? The whole "making them rare" thing only really benefits scalpers?

Nintendo does it all the time, but I just assumed they would had done a bit better this time around since one of their updates was just about the cards. And without the cards, the update may as well not exist. Sure you can buy the overpriced originals or find someone making fakes for a reasonable price, but that's literally an outside source making sure that the product is available to everyone and not Nintendo themselves.

I still don't understand that mentality. I'm not in business so I may be missing something but wouldn't selling more only make them more money? The whole "making them rare" thing only really benefits scalpers?

This is what I’ve been wondering too. When I asked my mom and others, they said that the situation was was created intentionally by the business and that is how businesses work. They said they think they want to make you desperate to get them; but doesn’t make sense to me since as you said, they don’t benefit from the scalpers making money off of them.. As much as I want the WAs to be re-released and the NH villagers and npcs get cards, that whole experience ruined that desire for me and now instead I fear how they will handle it (which I am pretty sure will be as poorly handled as the sanrio cards release were).

I really don't think Nintendo is thinking that far ahead. I'm pretty sure the majority of us have bought these before (WA) and during the Sanrio update from bootleg cards from outside sources. So they're not making a penny off of that. And even buying legit from scalpers is going to the scalpers pockets and not Nintendo. They only got the $6.99 or whatever they paid for it.

They don't do reprints. So it's not like that kind of demand and scare will help them. It'd make sense if they brought them back with a second wave since than you'd have more people trying to grab them faster.

All this nonsense about updates just proves one thing: We can no longer trust Nintendo to do updates the way we want them to - And that we will always have to assume the finished product is always the product at present time.

Even more, we will always have to know exactly what features any future Animal Crossing game will actually have, well before buying. That is, if the game does not have a feature we want, it is best to assume it won't be added in the game at all. And screaming and harassing fellow players and game developers alike will not help to adding them.

If only the fanbase could have actually refrained from buying the game until the features they wanted actually came back... That would've been the best incentive for Nintendo to add them in the first place. Instead, the hype train took over, and it made us completely overlook the actual feature set the game actually had.

I don't want to get my hopes up but ANYTHING new would be nice eventually, I'm so burnt out of NH especially because of how much I've just been doing the same thing daily besides grinding to complete my museum (which is expectedly a pain).

Back