• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

Animal Crossing New Horizons has gone 2 months without an update and we’re going into July with not only no new features or events but nothing new at

Plus like @cats_toy said Splatoon 3 is now in dev and is being made by the same team who worked/are working on NH. So that doesn't bode well for NH's state. I'm sure they're going to drop NH on the backburner in favor of their more successful franchise. Which is sad because it could had been more well received had they handled its introduction and slow drip-fed updates better.

I don’t think anyone here is asking for an update for every two weeks. Who is rushing the devs? The game has been out for over a year. Can’t expect players to be patient forever. :/ There would still be complaints regardless if they had handled the game better, but I’m pretty sure there would be much less or at least the more serious & unhappy ones.

No one is personally attacking you, so there is no need to jump on anyone for expressing their opinions.
I’m not saying people are attacking me, I’m just saying we should be considerate of the people in charge of the updates and not complain when there’s not a new update. Also they might be struggling for an idea, and the game is at a pretty good point already.

I’m not saying people are attacking me, I’m just saying we should be considerate of the people in charge of the updates and not complain when there’s not a new update. Also they might be struggling for an idea, and the game is at a pretty good point already.

Okay. Then don’t jump on the original poster like you did.

No one here is being inconsiderate of the people that work for nintendo who aren’t in charge of the updates. People are entitled to be unhappy with the game and updates just as you are untitled to be happy. That’s great you like the game so much that you don’t so anything wrong with it. Don’t expect others to feel the same way. No one is telling them to jump off a cliff or to get fired. People are just saying that they believe it could have been handled better. How is that being inconsiderate?

The game is good but could be better. I don’t see how they could be struggling for ideas. Summer would have been a great time to bring back tortimers island and the missing fruit from NL. The updates don’t have to be often. They don’t even have to be every month. Just having a spring, summer ,fall and winter update that brings back tortimers island for summer, Brewster for fall or winter would be great,

Even though I have a proper job now I'm still not subscribing to Online... I'm glad I never did because I no longer care about what I'm missing and I still don't want to support their dumb business tactics. Someone said recently that their younger sibling or something was upset that they weren't allowed to subscribe to get design patterns and I just find that so sad.

Anyway I still have hope that they'll soon give us something a little more substantial than just items. Don't know if I have faith in Tortimer's island anymore but I'd be over the moon.

Plus like @cats_toy said Splatoon 3 is now in dev and is being made by the same team who worked/are working on NH. So that doesn't bode well for NH's state. I'm sure they're going to drop NH on the backburner in favor of their more successful franchise. Which is sad because it could had been more well received had they handled its introduction and slow drip-fed updates better.

a) this is kind of out of date now, given it's over 3 years old at this point, but it's "what the NL devs did after NL", but it shows that PART of AC's team is shared with Splatoon's, it's not just 1:1 the exact same team (which is good, because Splatoon 3's been in development since at least 2019) http://chuyplays.com/where-are-the-animal-crossing-switch-developers

b) it also makes the assumption that these are solid teams of the exact same people each time, instead each game being developed by a core team comprised of a few consistent people, as well as a load of other devs who are moved around between projects within Nintendo EPD.

c) I wouldn't call Splatoon the more successful franchise? Even ignoring the fact that NH's more than doubled the amount of people buying AC games, the best-selling Splatoon game's only sold 12.21 million copies (as opposed to NL's 12.93 million). The original game DID outsell both the original AC (2.71 million) and LGTTC (4.32 million) by selling 4.95 million copies, but even then AC's still ultimately sold more games in total.

d) I'd say they're both important Nintendo franchises, going by how much they sell and their prominence in things like Nintendo Tokyo's marketing and merchandise, but I generally also hate the idea that they're meant to be duelling franchises battling for a dev team too

The longer the next announcement takes the more I get the feeling that something good is coming, but I know I shouldn't get my hopes up haha

We're only 1 1/2 weeks away from the first fireworks so I'm curious how close they're going to cut it

Last year they dropped the update on a Thursday (July 30) 3 days before the first firework show. Maybe we'll see the update on July 29th this year.

c) I wouldn't call Splatoon the more successful franchise? Even ignoring the fact that NH's more than doubled the amount of people buying AC games, the best-selling Splatoon game's only sold 12.21 million copies (as opposed to NL's 12.93 million). The original game DID outsell both the original AC (2.71 million) and LGTTC (4.32 million) by selling 4.95 million copies, but even then AC's still ultimately sold more games in total.

It probably helped that with New Leaf, you could buy multiple copies of the game to have multiple towns.

Ohh, meaning the announcement for the update was that close?

The update. Announcement was Tuesday, July 28. But it was technically teased in the Summer Wave 1 trailer on June 25, 2020.

The game has been out for over a year. Can’t expect players to be patient forever.
I cant say I fully agree.
The only thing people should be being patient for is the holidays being reactivated.
Anything beyond that is people hoping and speculating. It's unfair for people to be expecting more that they were never promised.

If people are growing impatient waiting for things that they have never been told they would get... that's fully on that person.

I cant say I fully agree.
The only thing people should be being patient for is the holidays being reactivated.
Anything beyond that is people hoping and speculating. It's unfair for people to be expecting more that they were never promised.

If people are growing impatient waiting for things that they have never been told they would get... that's fully on that person.
Amen to that. Exactly my opinion on the matter as well.

Do we know when or why the fireworks were removed?

I was surprised to see they would remove or re-lock a holiday after it was previously available.

I really don't understand people defending a corp like Nintendo. There were so many things that were obviously half-put into the game that they should definitely update. Especially after how massive some of the updates were in NL, if they didn't do that in NH it would be disappointing at the very least. I think people have the right to feel disappointed for a game that wasn't finished being on sale. Nintendo also has not really been transparent on what needs to be added or how long they will update. I'm not gonna roll over for breadcrumbs. The holidays were ALWAYS meant to be in the game, so that's not a surprise, and they're super similar to last year. When it comes to NPCs, some of them talk less/have less of a role than in NL. I just think it's easy to see Nintendo is focusing on what makes them money (pocket camp), especially since NH has been out for a year now. It's not like they're getting more money on NH.
Post automatically merged:

I was surprised to see they would remove or re-lock a holiday after it was previously available.
Maybe to add new Redd items? They did that with Easter, so that's what I'm betting on. Maybe items that were in NL's Redd Cookie event?

Last edited:
Maybe to add new Redd items? They did that with Easter, so that's what I'm betting on. Maybe items that were in NL's Redd Cookie event?

That's a good theory. I think the part I don't totally understand is why they couldn't just leave the previous version in until the new version was ready, but I don't fully comprehend how games are built, so maybe there's something I'm missing.

It seems to be a common thing with the Holidays in this game. They only add them for the current year, and when the next year rolls around, they remove them from the past year. That and the fact they want to you connect to the internet to unlock the holiday when the time is ready either means they are forcefully stopping time travelers from having fun, or they really like to micromanage.

ETA: Either way, I see this detrimental to the future of the game unless they release a final update to unlock the holidays permanently for years to come. Imagine playing New Leaf or GCN with no holidays.

Kind of a shame that Pocket Camp has way more content and constant events going on yet NH gets barely anything.
I fully agree, I know maybe developing/adding stuff for Pocket Camp is much easier since it's a mobile game, but it's such a shame how little attention acnh has gotten for the past several months.

btw love your signature! I love my culture being appreciated :)
Post automatically merged:

I'm honestly very disappointed with how the game has been managed. People say it's wrong to complain about not having certain feature in the current game because "this isn't new leaf 2.0" but honestly they removed so many features and items that had been on the franchise for decades.

I also feel a great lack of online and multiplayer features. Compared to other games, there's really not much you can do on multiplayer than just wandering around the island or maybe trading objects. I really wish they added features like multiplayer, or something like Tortimer island, where you could meet random people. I truly miss Tortimer island, it was like my second favorite feature on acnl.

Saying the game is currently dead is not even an overstatement, it's a reality. You can see, for example, on Google Trends, how low the search results for Animal Crossing have been since December.

Last edited:

It's a combination of the "anti-TT" thing the devs have (as JKDOS pointed) and the fact that every yearly event has been tweaked/updated for the new year. iirc, they only remove the 2020 version of the event with the last possible update- so it makes sense they leave the event as much as they can before they "cut it out" in order to work on it between that update and the one where it will be re-released.

Fireworks may see new items for sale at Redd's- as the others were quietly added to the daily stock of Nook's Cranny after August 2020. Or new boppers- with the way they reworked May Day, they show that they don't fear having some items being able to be obtained only once.

All events/seasonal items and things such as Zodiac animals will probably be updated with a definitive version once development for the game wraps-up that will be available forever.

...The holidays were ALWAYS meant to be in the game, so that's not a surprise, and they're super similar to last year. When it comes to NPCs, some of them talk less/have less of a role than in NL...
Just a couple of questions, but aren't yearly events that change, even if they are super similar, an improvement over any other game on the franchise? I have only seen that Fishing/Bugs competitions on past games kind of changed since they asked for different sizes or fish?, contraty to the ones on NH that always go for # of catches. But on past games, all events are exactly the same, right?

And aren't there more NPCs that talk more/have more of a role than NL? From what I have seen, the mere fact that Tom, Timmy and Tommy have a whole story (as little as it was) on this game would make them have much more than the incarnations where they were just shopkeepers? I know that Blathers was completely neutered on NL and he regained his personality on this game because someone once pointed how you once again are able to read his dialogue. Celeste was a shopkeeper on NL too if I'm not mistaken, she now has a similar role but the extra of having stories to tell (or did she tell stories on NL too?) Flick and C.J. also seem to have a bigger role than their predecessors, with the whole model-thing, extra money and challenge (C.J.)- I thought Nat and Chip were only there for the tourneys.

I ask this because maybe there is info missing from the wiki, but all those characters seem to be the opposite of what you described. Isabelle seems to be the one everyone sees as having a downgrade, which I guess is correct with the removal of the PWP and all those things she did, right? But aside from her, which others? (obviously not counting the ones that were removed/replaced). Mable/Sable seem to have the same role, Wilbur/Orville probably have the same role as Porter and other standard shopkeepers like Saharah or Redd also seem to be the same. Maybe Wisp? Depending on the importance of him being everything amiibo and now being a minigame? But like said, I'm basing this on the wikis and the gameplay I've seen, so maybe I'm missing some other roles/dialogue.

Back