• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

Another Angry Gamestop Customer

Regardless of who works at Gamestop, I refuse to buy anything from there unless I absolutely have to.

The money doesn't go to the gaming devs or to the gaming company. It goes to Gamestop.
If I'm going to buy a game, I want to support the people who made it. Not the money hungry distributor.

Gamestop isn't corrupt to the customers.. more or less to the employees. My room mate works for them. Is an assistant manager and still gets **** for hours and the reason they probably gave you a hassle in the first place is they get infractions when people cancel anything, including pre-orders.

The manager of the eb games that I go to has a really annoying vibe. Like he hasn't directly been really rude or anything, but I just get the feeling he's a buttburger.

Video game stores will probably be extinct in 10 years or sooner. I really only buy from them because it reminds me of my childhood going in and being so excited with the plethora of games around me. Not much longer until digital and internet sales take over the industry. I'm nice to the people at my local Gamestop and they are nice to me, so it works out. Enjoy seeing gaming stores while they last!

I'm glad your issue was resolved! And please try not to beat yourself up about the first time you tried to cancel the preorder. I've had some really negative interactions with cashiers before, and afterward I tended to be down on myself about my non-reaction when I felt like I should have stood up for myself. But now I just focus on how I should react in the future rather than dwelling on the past.

This guy really wasn't "just doing his job" if a customer attempted to return a preorder -- not an unreasonable request -- three separate times and still walked away upset. It's understandable that he might try to lightly convince a customer not to cancel the preorder, but he still has to complete the request if that's what they want. He really shouldn't have pretended to know information on a game. I would be very upset with him if he were my employee.

It's definitely best to be polite and firm with pushy people. If you listen and say, "Thank you for the information. I would still like to cancel my preorder," then there's not much left for him to do.

So I just called a game store here in my country and asked if Animal Crossing New Leaf would be available in their store on Friday the 14th. The lady on the phone first asked me what game it was and for what system, and right after I told her "Nintendo 3DS" she was already like "I can't tell you if we will have it or not." ?? What is this? I mean I think she didn't even check it, because she said it literally RIGHT AWAY. And shouldn't it be possible to look it up in their computer system? So annoying... So I guess I'll just stick with my amazon preorder, even if that means that I'll have the game on Saturday, instead of Friday.

Damn OP. You have to relax. When he said you couldn't download it digitally you should have just said "ill take my chances" and ask for your money back. And you have to understand that most people that shop retail have no idea what they're doing, so he was really just looking out for you when he told you that you couldn't return a digital copy.

"Soft fired" is a nonsense term. Im sure the most that would happen to the guy would be his manager might inquire what happen and that's it.

The money doesn't go to the gaming devs or to the gaming company. It goes to Gamestop.
If I'm going to buy a game, I want to support the people who made it. Not the money hungry distributor.

Everybody's gotta eat. Besides, GameStop does a lot of good for developers by providing tons of free advertising for their products. You can't tell me that if GameStop disappeared tomorrow game sales wouldn't be negatively affected.

Everybody's gotta eat. Besides, GameStop does a lot of good for developers by providing tons of free advertising for their products. You can't tell me that if GameStop disappeared tomorrow game sales wouldn't be negatively affected.

I'm not against people working at Gamestop, one of my closest friends works there. Work is work. lol

All I'm saying is I'm not going to give them any business because I disagree with the way they do things. It is free advertising, yeah. But if they're buying from Gamestop it's sort of pointless since none of the money is going to them from the sales Gamestop makes.
And yeah, I probably could say that. Just because one franchise disappears doesn't mean games stop being bought, it just means other stores would get more business.

But if they're buying from Gamestop it's sort of pointless since none of the money is going to them from the sales Gamestop makes.

You don't mean the word "none" literally, do you? GameStop has to buy the games from the publisher to sell them in the first place. Unless you're just talking about used games.

How is GameStop different than Target, Wal-Mart, or even Amazon? They all bought the same game from the same publisher, are selling the same product, and all sell it at the same price.

You don't mean the word "none" literally, do you? GameStop has to buy the games from the publisher to sell them in the first place. Unless you're just talking about used games.

Yeah, sorry if I didn't make that clear.
Primarily Gamestop tries to get you to buy used games. It's part of how their system works. The brand new games rake in well enough money, but they really push on trying to sell used copies.
The difference in Gamestop from Target, Walmart, etc is that they target the gaming audience. They know that the people who come into their store are going to be people who actively play games. So they're going to push on having you to buy used games, to subscribe to Game Informer, and to pre-order, but that last one really isn't a problem. I'm not against the used games thing, but since none of the money goes to anyone but Gamestop, I don't see a point in it.

That was just my opinion anyway. I don't think any less of anyone who decides to shop there. =p

I have the actual landline numbers for the video game retailers that I frequent so it doesn't cost me on a phone contract and I can ring them up and ask questions whenever I need to in the day.

>"Oh, yes, we have the original NA release of Metroid Prime in! We'd be happy to hold it for you."
>Show up at the store, case is the Player's Choice re-release ("alright, alright, don't get too nervous...")
>Check back of disc, it actually is the Player's Choice version
>.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>"We don't have any other copies in, I'm sorry."
>Return home dejected with my non-sequence-breakable MP1 copy, AAAND to top it all off, it doesn't work.

Seriously, it froze on the Nintendo logo screen 3 times consecutively.

They're honestly the only video game-exclusive retailer that I'd prefer visiting, but the fact that they seem to lack severely in certain departments kind of dissuades me.

Preorder systems can't really be held at the fault of the employee. Most of the times it really is system errors.

Would you like a subscription to *insert name here* magazine or a preorder for Call Of Duty: Ghosts?

Back