• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Ask AC:NL Questions here! (Please read before posting here or making a new thread!)

Another question. Can someone please tell me why these two trees are dying? They aren't near any river or building, and they're spaced out the same as the other trees in the rows which are growing just fine. I've also planted trees next to patterns and had no problems, so I really can't figure it out:

Why.jpg

Dang. That sucks. There's really nothing you can do. They are called "dead spots". Nothing will ever grow there.

Another question. Can someone please tell me why these two trees are dying? They aren't near any river or building, and they're spaced out the same as the other trees in the rows which are growing just fine. I've also planted trees next to patterns and had no problems, so I really can't figure it out:

Dang. That sucks. There's really nothing you can do. They are called "dead spots". Nothing will ever grow there.

Actually, they may not be dead spots. Trees sometimes won't grow if they are surrounded by other trees even if they have room. The idea is that they won't get enough light (Isabelle and other villagers actually mention this during the tutorial parts of the game, it's not just flavor text!). In the diagram below, if you plant all 9 saplings at once, tree 5 will wilt, but that doesn't mean that a tree can't grow there.

1 2 3
4 5 6
7 8 9

I also noticed that there doesn't necessarily only have to be one space apart from the trees for them to die. Like in your picture, even though the sapling on the right is separated by that path from the next-closest tree to its left, it still ends up dying. The same thing happened in my town. What you can try is instead of planting all those trees at once, plant them either by rows or columns (for example, you plant trees 1, 2, 3 one day, then 4, 5, and 6 the next, or 1, 4, 7 one day, and 2, 5, 8 the next). This ensures that no trees are completed surrounded while they are growing in that first day. If that doesn't work, they you may have dead spots, or possibly too many trees/bushes in the area.

Last edited:
Hmm, didn't know that. Try what Sonati said. It just might work. Would be a shame if it didn't because you're trying to landscape.

That's what Thonky says but it can't be right, as I had a meteor shower in my second town on July 18 (that's what the bulletin board said anyway, I TTed right through it lol). And I definitely recall having several meteor showers in my first town last summer, and I didn't get the game until July 7, which would've been just after meteor season according to that guide. All the other online guides I checked just said they can occur during clear nights throughout the year, so I don't think there's an actual specific meteor shower season.
So it is possible! Thanks so much :)
I guess I'll have to be patient to catch one.

Just got a meteor shower notice, and it's currently July 25th. So thonky probably isn't right.

if i have a villager planning on moving on a certain date and i tt backwards will their move date change or will it always remain the same?

Hello! I have a question :3

I have obtained Whitney (hurray!!) and TTed to plot reet. The thing is: I don't see her anywhere *--* !! (her future house/spot)
But there is some kind of fishing tournament/bug off going on. Could it be that this event prevented Whitney from moving in ? I'm scared of forwarding a day further and load my Mayer, to find her home on a path :I it took so much time landscaping xD

Hello! I have a question :3

I have obtained Whitney (hurray!!) and TTed to plot reet. The thing is: I don't see her anywhere *--* !! (her future house/spot)
But there is some kind of fishing tournament/bug off going on. Could it be that this event prevented Whitney from moving in ? I'm scared of forwarding a day further and load my Mayer, to find her home on a path :I it took so much time landscaping xD

Whitney may not move the very next day; I believe it takes one to three days for a villager to move in after they've been invited to your town. To make sure that Whitney doesn't move into a bad spot, create a new villager as of you were plot resetting. If her plot is not there, save the character, then delete the character, then TT to the next day and start with a new villager. I hope this helps, and I'm sorry if it was confusing! If you have any other questions, don't be afraid to ask me! :)

What is the trigger to get villagers to start moving out in a cycle town? Paying off the house and sitting in the mayor's chair didn't do it.

What is the trigger to get villagers to start moving out in a cycle town? Paying off the house and sitting in the mayor's chair didn't do it.

have you got 9 villagers yet? seem to only suggest moving when there's already 9 moved in

Yeah. I got 9 by jumping ahead a year at a time. I haven't even spoken to any of the villagers (hey, I didn't ask to be mayor, LOL), and none are leaving.

Does reporting a villager to Isabelle lower your friendship with that villager?

If I remember correctly...

It resets:
-the greeting
-the catchphrase
-clothing
-nickname for you

I've also heard it resets any letters they've sent to you, but I can't say for sure.

I've got my own question!

Does DLC count towards completing the catalog?

Last edited:
So, the newest move-in won't ping to move...ever? Or they can or...? I keep getting conflicting responses; I've gotten a last move-in to move out once, this last time, but I can't seem to get it to happen again and I'm getting frustrated, lol. I've been befriending and letter-writing, errands, and nothing is working. :/

So, the newest move-in won't ping to move...ever? Or they can or...? I keep getting conflicting responses; I've gotten a last move-in to move out once, this last time, but I can't seem to get it to happen again and I'm getting frustrated, lol. I've been befriending and letter-writing, errands, and nothing is working. :/

Well a sure-fire way I had was ignoring the villager for a month...unless I wanted their picture I just ignored them.
Have you done the microphone check on them?
You know, saying their name with a megaphone in your hand and seeing their reaction?
If they look around they aren't friendly.
If they simply smile and look at you they're halfway.
If they turn to wave at you they are super duper close.

You kind of answered your own question... it's possible, just rarer!

If I remember correctly...

It resets:
-the greeting
-the catchphrase
-clothing
-nickname for you

I've also heard it resets any letters they've sent to you, but I can't say for sure.

I knew that, I was just wondering if it lowered the friendship level as well...

Back