• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Ask AC:NL Questions here! (Please read before posting here or making a new thread!)

I first got New Leaf for Christmas this year, and it is tons of fun. But i am starting to notice an issue with my villagers more and more. They seem to do absolutely nothing aside from occasionally giving delivery, fetch or visit task, and giving me free stuff. I have seen only two instances of villagers having a conversation with each other since I got this game, have only been asked to play hide and seek once, I've never seen the time capsule thing show up, and a lot of the time, and number of my villagers seem to be just standing around most of the time. Is there anyone else having the same issue, and if so, are there any leads to the probable cause or solutions?

I first got New Leaf for Christmas this year, and it is tons of fun. But i am starting to notice an issue with my villagers more and more. They seem to do absolutely nothing aside from occasionally giving delivery, fetch or visit task, and giving me free stuff. I have seen only two instances of villagers having a conversation with each other since I got this game, have only been asked to play hide and seek once, I've never seen the time capsule thing show up, and a lot of the time, and number of my villagers seem to be just standing around most of the time. Is there anyone else having the same issue, and if so, are there any leads to the probable cause or solutions?

There's nothing wrong with your game. You're just starting to notice the repeating aspects of the game.

Time capsules and hide and seek are less common favors. Make sure that your letter inventory is actually clean when talking to villagers since time capsules go there. The only way I can think of to influence this is to take advantage of days where you have good relationship/friendship luck! You might be able to see more varied conversations if you. And befriending your villagers general is good for getting different dialogues, but I'm sure you already knew that.

Also, I'm not sure about your play style, but I'd try logging in several times throughout the day. Sometimes when I talk to a villager in the morning, they won't have any interesting to say, but come nightfall, then they end up giving me a favor. Generally, only one villager per day gives a specific favor (ex. only one will ask for fruit, etc.), so getting more villagers to give you favors mean that you might be able to see the more varied ones.

If you want to see more conversations, try and have your villagers live in the same area (easiest to do if you plot reset). I think they naturally walk to where other villagers congregate, but it's easier when they are already living close by. If you have longer play sessions (half an hour or more) and give them time to walk around, then I find that they end up in conversations more often. If you're desperate, I guess you could always herd them into one area (although they won't be happy about that), dig holes around them so they can't escape, and then wait for conversations to happen.

Sorry I can't really help! There's just no real solution since the issue is with how the game was designed to begin with (less interesting dialogue than previous games, etc.). If you're getting tired of seeing the same stuff over and over again, it might be good to take a break for a while, too!

Last edited:
Hello, it's been a while since I've been on these forums! And a while since I've played my game, honestly. So much that I've been considering resetting. The problem is, I've gathered a lot of stuff that I want to keep, and the person who I would have hold it got their system and game sold (without their consent, but that's another story). I want to ask for someone to hold my stuff, so which forum should I post in? Is there a thread already with this service, or can I just make my own asking for this? I really want to get into playing a new town now that the excitement of other games has died down. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for the help. I did not actually know about the morning/day/ night aspect of dialogue (though I know they will make comments on those times at start of dialogue), so that is a bit more than what most online guides give me. Most of my villagers live in generally the same area, but they can be scattered anywhere from their doorstep to the fish museum. I am more used to the previous games where the villagers tended to live together rather than live for you.

Hello, it's been a while since I've been on these forums! And a while since I've played my game, honestly. So much that I've been considering resetting. The problem is, I've gathered a lot of stuff that I want to keep, and the person who I would have hold it got their system and game sold (without their consent, but that's another story). I want to ask for someone to hold my stuff, so which forum should I post in? Is there a thread already with this service, or can I just make my own asking for this? I really want to get into playing a new town now that the excitement of other games has died down. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome back!

I usually see threads like this in the Train Station, although if you want villagers held, that would go in the Villager Trading Plaza. You can just make your own threads; it doesn't look like there are any stickied threads for this purpose, although you might find some experienced cyclers in the Trading Plaza with their own threads who can hold villagers. I don't know any specific ones off the top of my head, though.

Best of luck with resetting!

Thank you for the help. I did not actually know about the morning/day/ night aspect of dialogue (though I know they will make comments on those times at start of dialogue), so that is a bit more than what most online guides give me. Most of my villagers live in generally the same area, but they can be scattered anywhere from their doorstep to the fish museum. I am more used to the previous games where the villagers tended to live together rather than live for you.

No worries! I guess I should clarify that it isn't really a morning/day/night aspect of the dialogue; it's more of that the favors are spread throughout the day, so you never have every single villager in the town asking for a favor at once. I've had times where I've bugged a single villager all day for them to give me a favor, and they never had anything until, like, midnight (it was always a petition, too...).

Last edited:
Welcome back!

I usually see threads like this in the Train Station, although if you want villagers held, that would go in the Villager Trading Plaza. You can just make your own threads; it doesn't look like there are any stickied threads for this purpose, although you might find some experienced cyclers in the Trading Plaza with their own threads who can hold villagers. I don't know any specific ones off the top of my head, though.

Best of luck with resetting!

Alright then! I guess I'll post it in the Train Station then. I don't really mind about my villagers. I think I'll handle them differently, and take what I can get just from the game itself. Thank you for the reply and best wishes!

Let's say you order and pay off the campsite on July 16. It will be in place on July 17. What day does the first visitor arrive (the day when you are guaranteed a camper)? Will it be July 17, or will it be July 18?

Let's say you order and pay off the campsite on July 16. It will be in place on July 17. What day does the first visitor arrive (the day when you are guaranteed a camper)? Will it be July 17, or will it be July 18?

The first day a camper will arrive is July 18th (day after it has been built), and that's when your guaranteed camper will show up. :) Good luck with resetting for a dream villager (if that is what you wanted to do!). :D

Alright, 16 villager cycle question. So I know that older villagers will start to pop up on Main Street, and then they eventually (after more villagers are voided/given away) don't come back. If a villager doesn't come back on MS, does that mean the 16 villager cycle has been completed? I'm just trying to cycle 16 for Flurry and I don't know what I'm at now since I wasn't initially planning on doing this so I wasn't keeping count. She's in my MS now.

Alright, 16 villager cycle question. So I know that older villagers will start to pop up on Main Street, and then they eventually (after more villagers are voided/given away) don't come back. If a villager doesn't come back on MS, does that mean the 16 villager cycle has been completed? I'm just trying to cycle 16 for Flurry and I don't know what I'm at now since I wasn't initially planning on doing this so I wasn't keeping count. She's in my MS now.
Yes, if she is still in your Main Street, you have not completed the 16 villager cycle. You'll have to keep going until she no longer appears for the cycle to be considered completed, and the memory of the villager wiped from the game's memory.

Yes, if she is still in your Main Street, you have not completed the 16 villager cycle. You'll have to keep going until she no longer appears for the cycle to be considered completed, and the memory of the villager wiped from the game's memory.

Alright, good to know. I wasn't sure if that was just a random thing that they came/went in MS. Thanks~

The first day a camper will arrive is July 18th (day after it has been built), and that's when your guaranteed camper will show up. :) Good luck with resetting for a dream villager (if that is what you wanted to do!). :D

Thank you! I'm actually trying for Celia, but I have some backups I might take. :)

I'm not sure if anybody's tried this... I'd expect that it's impossible, but does anybody know if you can bury time-capsules in somebody else's town? I know it's a silly question, but I've just been wondering about it so much, haha.

is there anyway to avoid Redd/the psychic tent from destroying my patterns covering my tree plaza?

Not really, unfortunately. Any tent or setup they put out for holidays and special events will take out the patterns underneath. There's no way to stop it. I'd just recommend keeping those patterns on your main character that you play as and not a pattern mule so that it's at least easy to replace.

Not really, unfortunately. Any tent or setup they put out for holidays and special events will take out the patterns underneath. There's no way to stop it. I'd just recommend keeping those patterns on your main character that you play as and not a pattern mule so that it's at least easy to replace.

I got no room on my mayor. Oh well, I don't mind going on my other character to fix it. Just annoying. Part of me wants to leave it blank.

So I have a weird question. I reguarly plot reset, since I'm still moving out my original villagers, and I'm not at 10 villagers yet. The thing is though, my town has become so developed that I'm running out of suitable places to put down a character house without destroying plant life and leaving a big dirt patch that isn't already covered by paths. So I figured I could set up a well landscaped spot for a tent and have a character exist part-time, giving my town a sort of designated reset spot that actually looks good. I currently have three characters, so this would be my fourth. What I'm wondering is, if I keep this character until I need to do a plot reset, would it be safe to delete their house right before I start the reset process (in order to free up a spot and create a new character), or does the game save itself just like when you load up your town with an existing character, messing up the reset? Has anyone ever even tried this before?

So I have a weird question. I reguarly plot reset, since I'm still moving out my original villagers, and I'm not at 10 villagers yet. The thing is though, my town has become so developed that I'm running out of suitable places to put down a character house without destroying plant life and leaving a big dirt patch that isn't already covered by paths. So I figured I could set up a well landscaped spot for a tent and have a character exist part-time, giving my town a sort of designated reset spot that actually looks good. I currently have three characters, so this would be my fourth. What I'm wondering is, if I keep this character until I need to do a plot reset, would it be safe to delete their house right before I start the reset process (in order to free up a spot and create a new character), or does the game save itself just like when you load up your town with an existing character, messing up the reset? Has anyone ever even tried this before?
You can safely delete a character at any time. When you delete a character, you never tell Isabelle "Yes, let's" when she asks you if you want to get started. Your character never enters the town again during the deletion process, so nothing saves.

I've done this numerous times during my plot and villager resetting.

Back