• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Ask AC:NL Questions here! (Please read before posting here or making a new thread!)

Could someone familiar with time traveling explain in a straightforward, (preferably) step-by-step way how I should go about the following scenario?

1) I have a dreamie I might be adopting soon, and currently have ten villagers. One of them has pinged me and will be in boxes on the 23rd. I've never TT'ed before, but in the event my dreamie is ready for adoption before my villager moves out, how should I safely TT so as to avoid sending any of my other villagers into boxes?

2) Would it better to TT using the game's clock or my DS system?

3) If I were to enact the Beautiful Town Ordinance right before TTing, would it come into effect as soon as I started time traveling?

Thanks in advance for any help! :)

Could someone familiar with time traveling explain in a straightforward, (preferably) step-by-step way how I should go about the following scenario?

1) I have a dreamie I might be adopting soon, and currently have ten villagers. One of them has pinged me and will be in boxes on the 23rd. I've never TT'ed before, but in the event my dreamie is ready for adoption before my villager moves out, how should I safely TT so as to avoid sending any of my other villagers into boxes?

2) Would it better to TT using the game's clock or my DS system?

3) If I were to enact the Beautiful Town Ordinance right before TTing, would it come into effect as soon as I started time traveling?

Thanks in advance for any help! :)

Changing ordinances take effect the day after you talk to Isabelle, so you should be fine enacting it at the last minute before time traveling.

Use the ingame clock to TT in this instance. The 3DS clock is best used to scout out uncertain future outcomes (like where a villager is putting their house, etc).

Only one villager can be thinking of moving at a time, so no matter what, only that villager who told you they were thinking of moving can leave your town. Everyone else is safe.

With this in mind, here is how I would suggest you proceed with the adoption:

1 - Set the ingame clock to the date they told you, the 23rd.
That is the day they will be in boxes. At this point, you can say your goodbyes to them if you'd like to. You can also give away the villager by inviting someone over to talk to them.

2 - Set your ingame clock back to the current date.
TTing backwards only counts as a single day, no matter how far you go. You need to TT one day away from the day your villager was in boxes for their house to vanish, so this is a perfect opportunity to sync up your game to normal time, since you said you don't TT normally.

3 - Go talk to the villager you're adopting in the other town.

4 - Their plot should appear the very next day, which you can let naturally happen!

Kinda lazy to look at the many pages of this thread so I'll just ask this.

The 16 villager cycle. When does it exactly count? When another villager moves in or out?

Kinda lazy to look at the many pages of this thread so I'll just ask this.

The 16 villager cycle. When does it exactly count? When another villager moves in or out?

Out. Only villagers who've moved in or left AFTER the villager you're cycling for has left count.

Changing ordinances take effect the day after you talk to Isabelle, so you should be fine enacting it at the last minute before time traveling.

Use the ingame clock to TT in this instance. The 3DS clock is best used to scout out uncertain future outcomes (like where a villager is putting their house, etc).

Only one villager can be thinking of moving at a time, so no matter what, only that villager who told you they were thinking of moving can leave your town. Everyone else is safe.

With this in mind, here is how I would suggest you proceed with the adoption:

1 - Set the ingame clock to the date they told you, the 23rd.
That is the day they will be in boxes. At this point, you can say your goodbyes to them if you'd like to. You can also give away the villager by inviting someone over to talk to them.

2 - Set your ingame clock back to the current date.
TTing backwards only counts as a single day, no matter how far you go. You need to TT one day away from the day your villager was in boxes for their house to vanish, so this is a perfect opportunity to sync up your game to normal time, since you said you don't TT normally.

3 - Go talk to the villager you're adopting in the other town.

4 - Their plot should appear the very next day, which you can let naturally happen!
Thank you so much! :D You've been a great help. <3

- - - Post Merge - - -

does the bug-off end at 5 or 6

i forget
It ends at 6pm I believe. =) You can still attend the awards ceremony in the tent from 6pm to 9pm though.

can you ask for multiple villagers from other towns to move into your town on the same day? (without tting)

can you ask for multiple villagers from other towns to move into your town on the same day? (without tting)

Yes, you can do that as many times as you'd like in one day. However, only the last one you asked will actually move in.

I have a question, sorry if its been answered before!
Can I play my acnl cartridge on someone else's 3ds? I know acnl has some save data stored on the sd card so I was not sure if complications would occur if I have my game catridge and play it on someone else's 3ds, then back on my own again. I ask because I wanted to possibly buy a second copy instead of resetting, and just transfer my stuff. Once that's done, move it back to my own 3ds.

I have a question, sorry if its been answered before!
Can I play my acnl cartridge on someone else's 3ds? I know acnl has some save data stored on the sd card so I was not sure if complications would occur if I have my game catridge and play it on someone else's 3ds, then back on my own again. I ask because I wanted to possibly buy a second copy instead of resetting, and just transfer my stuff. Once that's done, move it back to my own 3ds.

You can play your cartridge on another 3DS just fine! If you have the cartridge, the only stuff that's saved on the SD Card is photos, and I believe some StreetPass info. All the actual in-game data is on the cartridge itself. Just make sure that the other 3DS has the proper time you need in-game (otherwise you might accidentally time travel), and the game may give you a prompt about the StreetPass data, but otherwise, you should be all set.

Last edited:
You can play your cartridge on another 3DS just fine! If you have the cartridge, the only stuff that's saved on the SD Card is photos, and I believe some StreetPass info. All the actual in-game data is on the cartridge itself. Just make sure that the other 3DS has the proper time you need in-game (otherwise you might accidentally time travel), and the game may give you a prompt about the StreetPass data, but otherwise, you should be all set.

Thank you so much ^^ I appreciate it. Also semi-non game related. Once I get my town settled on the new cartridge, would it be possible to return the game? I don't want two copies ;w; I know some stores have a policy with the plastic wrap must be untouched to be eligible for return with receipt, but not sure which places. I'd be giving my first cartridge as the return (erased of course).I don't want to buy a used one because I plan on keep the cartridge with a new town, and I'm just picky like that. All the games I see used are often dirty, dusty, etc ;;. It's just easier to visit myself and take things on a new catridge, than to transfer it all over, reset, then transfer it again to the other catridge. Sorry if this is confusing. in short, can I return an opened game with receipt and where?

Back