• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Ask AC:NL Questions here! (Please read before posting here or making a new thread!)

So, I was thinking of trying out that little trick which allows you to decide where a villager moves in your town, and, although I have no reason to try it now, it would come in handy for when there's a villager moving and I'm going nuts over whether or not the new villager will mess up a part of my town. So, I understand most of what I've heard about performing the trick, but, I've heard that you have to do it on the day you know the new villager will be moving in, and, I don't know how I'm supposed to know when that will be. So, how do I know?
If you invite them from another town, it'll be the next day; if you invite them from the campsite, it'll be two days later. Although these move-ins can be delayed if (I think) there's an event or another villager moving in/out.

If you're down to eight villagers and are waiting for a random move-in, you have a chance of getting one each day you're at eight (with the chances increasing as each day passes). So you should just check in with a new character every day, and remember to save the character even if you don't see a plot, otherwise one could still show up once you load up your mayor.

If you invite them from another town, it'll be the next day; if you invite them from the campsite, it'll be two days later. Although these move-ins can be delayed if (I think) there's an event or another villager moving in/out.

If you're down to eight villagers and are waiting for a random move-in, you have a chance of getting one each day you're at eight (with the chances increasing as each day passes). So you should just check in with a new character every day, and remember to save the character even if you don't see a plot, otherwise one could still show up once you load up your mayor.

Thank you!

If you have multiple save files and you all get your fortunes read, does each one count towards the 20 that you need to unlock the Katrina's shop?

If you have multiple save files and you all get your fortunes read, does each one count towards the 20 that you need to unlock the Katrina's shop?

Yes, any of your characters count. However, friends and visitors do not count towards your 20 readings. Instead it counts towards unlocking their own shop.

Yes, any of your characters count. However, friends and visitors do not count towards your 20 readings. Instead it counts towards unlocking their own shop.

It won't count for unlocking their own shop, they have to visit Katrina in their own town for that. It's discussed here in more detail (information on the first post and replies from Jennifer throughout the page).

I was wondering, if you want to give somebody a villager of yours, and the villager is in boxes ready to move the next day, and the person convinces them to move to their town, could you time travel a day ahead to get rid of the villager faster, and would the person still get that villager despite time traveling, or would the villager be voided?

I was wondering, if you want to give somebody a villager of yours, and the villager is in boxes ready to move the next day, and the person convinces them to move to their town, could you time travel a day ahead to get rid of the villager faster, and would the person still get that villager despite time traveling, or would the villager be voided?

The villager will not be voided, and should move into the new town if they have enough space. Basically, you have nothing to be worried about. TTing after a villager a pickup by either side should not affect whether or not they move in.

The villager will not be voided, and should move into the new town if they have enough space. Basically, you have nothing to be worried about. TTing after a villager a pickup by either side should not affect whether or not they move in.

That's good, I'm trying to make room as soon as I can to get some of my dreamies. Thanks!

Just make sure their house says "Moved out" when you try to open the door. There's little to no reason it shouldn't if the person left your town and everything ended and saved normally. I normally have TT'd the person into boxes, so when I TT back to the present, their house is gone.

Hold on, I don't even need to test it -- I just realized I actually do have an exact 7x7 area in my town with 18 bushes in it, if my math and memory are correct. I'm not near my 3DS now to take a picture, but I'll get one up as soon as possible (or you can visit my dream town if you want, it's the area directly below my train station with the bushes wrapped around the illuminated clock). I wonder what the problem you were having was, then?

That is funny though, that sounds like a fun experiment but I wouldn't want to waste that many bush starts :p

Brb, getting a frying pan and some fertilizer so I can flip some **** over this. Though they are all in small rows, I think every bush in my town is in a chain of atleast 8, so maybe the 7x7 rule only applies for long chains. Also it straddles 2 acres in town with no bushes connected over the acre line, so maybe that contributes somehow?
I dunno, but I no longer have a huge stockpile of bushes to test with this right now, but mark my words I will get to the bottom of this.

Also your town is awesome. Love the majority black/white theme, it still looked good after I dug up the 18 bushes that mock me.

EDIT: So I just went and counted around the most crowded bushed areas I have and found a place with 16 infront of my town hall. :S

Last edited:
If a villager moves away from Time Traveling to the future, then you Time Travel back, will they still be gone?

Yes, they still will be gone. Once the house is gone and you have loaded up your mayor account, it is too late. Nothing can be done except for the 16 cycle.

What if I use a non-mayor character, can I still save that villager?

Yes and no. You can't save that villager if you're using a non-mayor character that you have created before, as far as I know. You can save that villager using a non-mayor character if you're creating it right before playing so it's a new character with no saves yet. That also means that after checking the map, you can quit without saving, and then address the issue without losing anything.

Back