• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Ask AC:NL Questions here! (Please read before posting here or making a new thread!)

I used to swear by this rule too until I visited a dream town once that had a HUGE forest of trees, clearly larger than 7x7, all planted in a gridlock fashion one space apart from each other, without a single spot missing a tree. The owner said they were able to bypass the "no more than 15 trees in a 7x7 area" thing by simply planting them one row at a time.

I'll test this right now in my second town, since I'm sure I won't be able to find that person's thread or dream address again lol.

But since we are dealing with bushes here -- in which proper sequencing isn't as clear as it is with trees in exact rows -- if what I suggested doesn't work, cutting down a tree is a good suggestion as well (and way simpler than replanting the bushes one by one, haha).

Late edit because I forgot about this lol, but confirmed: 16 trees in a 7x7 area

u6eGT0w.jpg

(The left column was already there, I just added to it because there wasn't much space elsewhere)

Hm, I've never experimented with only trees as I never intend on having more than like 25 spread out in my towns. But I have never manged to get a 16th bush in a 7x7 grid (including trees) and I've experimented a ton with them and entirely pathed/decorated 2 towns with bushes. ~ to the point that 3 large areas in my town have had all their bushes replanted 4-5 times and 2 of them still have gaps. >[

But I might now see if I can get some trees to grow around my bushes to make the tree the 16th addition, since I'm 100% sure you can't get a 16th bush in place. Though I do want to know what will happen if you plant a ton of bushes in the 4x4 tree grid.

Thanks for the info about 7x7 grids above. It wouldn't hurt me to cut out a tree or two. I'm not even sure what I'm going for, so the area with trees could end up with a jungle gym or hammock instead of trees.

I'd say take a tree out and then try. Though I find the 15th bush can be really difficult to grow sometimes if it's in between 2 existing bushes. So it might be easier to dig out the one on the end aswell. But good luck!

Hm, I've never experimented with only trees as I never intend on having more than like 25 spread out in my towns. But I have never manged to get a 16th bush in a 7x7 grid (including trees) and I've experimented a ton with them and entirely pathed/decorated 2 towns with bushes. ~ to the point that 3 large areas in my town have had all their bushes replanted 4-5 times and 2 of them still have gaps. >[

But I might now see if I can get some trees to grow around my bushes to make the tree the 16th addition, since I'm 100% sure you can't get a 16th bush in place. Though I do want to know what will happen if you plant a ton of bushes in the 4x4 tree grid.
Interesting, I'll have to experiment more with bushes then I suppose :p I've never actually tried to use that many bushes in one area, now that I think about it, so I guess that's why I've never run into that problem.

Interesting, I'll have to experiment more with bushes then I suppose :p I've never actually tried to use that many bushes in one area, now that I think about it, so I guess that's why I've never run into that problem.

15 bushes in 49 spaces is not enough. :p
I spent ages in my old cycle town planting 36 bushes in a 6x6 grid and seeing what bushes it let live to get ideas for little layouts, and managed to put a pwp in a diamond of bushes so that you can't reach it and then went to the new pwp festival and got trapped there. xP

15 bushes in 49 spaces is not enough. :p
I spent ages in my old cycle town planting 36 bushes in a 6x6 grid and seeing what bushes it let live to get ideas for little layouts, and managed to put a pwp in a diamond of bushes so that you can't reach it and then went to the new pwp festival and got trapped there. xP
Hold on, I don't even need to test it -- I just realized I actually do have an exact 7x7 area in my town with 18 bushes in it, if my math and memory are correct. I'm not near my 3DS now to take a picture, but I'll get one up as soon as possible (or you can visit my dream town if you want, it's the area directly below my train station with the bushes wrapped around the illuminated clock). I wonder what the problem you were having was, then?

That is funny though, that sounds like a fun experiment but I wouldn't want to waste that many bush starts :p

Last edited:
In the not-so-distant future, I may trade Antonio from one town to another for Bam, who is in a town where I have recently voided somebody. I've traveled to a town with 10 from that town, but I understand that isn't a 100% void clear. Anyway, if I TT Antonio into boxes and have the other mayor come pick him up, is there a strong chance that I'll get the voided villager by TTing back to the current day? Is it advisable for me to start that day with a new character to make sure (though, I would assume I'll be stuck with the voided villager if I do get it, since staying on the day Antonio is picked up will mean I will have 9 villagers and his vacant house, and thus can't pick someone up)?

I've considered Antonio a permanent villager, but I like that Bam's got the same dots as Fauna. It might end up giving me more trouble than it's worth to move him.

In the not-so-distant future, I may trade Antonio from one town to another for Bam, who is in a town where I have recently voided somebody. I've traveled to a town with 10 from that town, but I understand that isn't a 100% void clear. Anyway, if I TT Antonio into boxes and have the other mayor come pick him up, is there a strong chance that I'll get the voided villager by TTing back to the current day? Is it advisable for me to start that day with a new character to make sure (though, I would assume I'll be stuck with the voided villager if I do get it, since staying on the day Antonio is picked up will mean I will have 9 villagers and his vacant house, and thus can't pick someone up)?

I've considered Antonio a permanent villager, but I like that Bam's got the same dots as Fauna. It might end up giving me more trouble than it's worth to move him.

If you time your trade between games carefully, there shouldn't be a problem.

Let's say you get Antonio into boxes and pass him off to your other town. His house will be empty and you'll have 9 other active villagers in town. The next day, his house will be gone and you'll be left with 9 villagers in town. On this day, I don't think it's possible to get a wifi/streetpass villager moving in. Every time I've had one, they move in 2 or 3 days after someone visited me.

The 7 Day method for resetting for new villagers works this way too. When you're down to 8 villagers, the day after someone's in boxes has a 0% chance of a new plot.

Er, so anyway. Do you TT in both towns? You could:
1 - TT Antonio into boxes, pick him up with your other town, and then TT back a few hours to remain on that day his house is empty. If days don't pass, no one can make a new plot, so take advantage of that.
2 - Plot reset Antonio into place in your other town. Unless you'd like him to plot randomly, then proceed.
3 - While your town is stuck on the same day, TT Bam into boxes in your other town.
4 - TT up one day so Antonio's house is gone, creating an empty space, and go pick up Bam.
5 - Bam will move in the next day.

I've used this technique/theory for every single move out/in in my main town while I was cycling 36 (uuugggghhh) for all my permanent villagers and their house placements. It worked for me every time; no unwanted or unexpected villagers every moved in.

Thanks, that's very helpful! And very necessary, since Antonio just asked to move (without me TT to get him to do so). I don't care where he moves into the other town, so that part is easy. I just need to TT Bam out now. The other town is kind of a temporary/almost cycling town, so I can do that without worrying about anything. Thanks again.

Thanks, that's very helpful! And very necessary, since Antonio just asked to move (without me TT to get him to do so). I don't care where he moves into the other town, so that part is easy. I just need to TT Bam out now. The other town is kind of a temporary/almost cycling town, so I can do that without worrying about anything. Thanks again.

Nice! It's like he wants to help you out. xD

Hopefully your transfers go smoothly. :)

I'm finally thinking about making a few new player characters.
Does anyone know the limit? Including the mayor character?

I'm finally thinking about making a few new player characters.
Does anyone know the limit? Including the mayor character?

Four players total including the mayor.

Last edited:

Four players total including the mayor.

Thanks a ton. :D

- - - Post Merge - - -

I have a new question. ^^'
If I wanted to get advice on a dream town, what us the best place on the TBT to go?

I'm TTing to get Bam out and there was nobody pinging to move. I talked to them all and Kiki asked me to dig up her time capsule. I used a new character a year ahead and she was the one gone. So, it looks like they won't ping to move if they want their time capsule. Is this a known thing? Just a little warning. I've got to go stop her and continue on now.

I'm TTing to get Bam out and there was nobody pinging to move. I talked to them all and Kiki asked me to dig up her time capsule. I used a new character a year ahead and she was the one gone. So, it looks like they won't ping to move if they want their time capsule. Is this a known thing? Just a little warning. I've got to go stop her and continue on now.

I encountered something like this twice in my towns during various TTing adventures. Once with Phoebe and I forget who else... I'm not 100% sure on the mechanics of it, but time capsules are an apparent block for move-out pings, just like how other pings can override move out ones.

That's interesting, I haven't heard of that before. If I recall correctly, they'll ask you for their time capsule as soon as you talk to them (without giving the "what's up?"/"never mind" options), right? If so it might be like how they won't ping you if they're waiting to tell you to take a break, or talk about how they haven't seen you in a while.

Last edited:
Yes, she did ask for it immediately without any other conversation. After I dug it up, she pinged before I gave it to her. But, she probably would have pinged after clearing that conversation, even if I hadn't dug it up.

I encountered something like this twice in my towns during various TTing adventures. Once with Phoebe and I forget who else... I'm not 100% sure on the mechanics of it, but time capsules are an apparent block for move-out pings, just like how other pings can override move out ones.

Yes, she did ask for it immediately without any other conversation. After I dug it up, she pinged before I gave it to her. But, she probably would have pinged after clearing that conversation, even if I hadn't dug it up.
I'll have to make a note of this, thanks you two for sharing. :)

I haven't played with bushes a lot yet but I want to do something with them. Am I limited to the ones I can buy from Leif (a total of two per day, one of each) or is there a way to spawn more after I've planted them?

I haven't played with bushes a lot yet but I want to do something with them. Am I limited to the ones I can buy from Leif (a total of two per day, one of each) or is there a way to spawn more after I've planted them?

To my knowledge you can't spawn more. You will have to either buy them through Lief, rarely for tokens at the island shop (red and yellow hibiscus only) or trade with other people online.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I have a question myself.
I suspect someone might have stolen some clovers from me but I'm honestly not sure.
Could someone be really awesome and check for me by looking at my dream address?
I'll give more information via private messages, willing to offer TBT bells for the help.

Last edited:
Back