• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Ask AC:NL Questions here! (Please read before posting here or making a new thread!)

I have a another question ;n; !!

I read some guides but I am still confused :c

I would like a villager to move (I am at maximum capacity of 10 villagers)

Someone really nice offered me to adopt their Kabuki, so I really need to clear a spot!

So Gladys pinged me today, and I hit the reset button, and she pinged me again.
Even if I reset will it always be her that will ping to move out ?

I would like chadder to leave.

I'm sorry for my terrible English ;n; ! Hope someone can understand me ^--^!

I have a another question ;n; !!

I read some guides but I am still confused :c

I would like a villager to move (I am at maximum capacity of 10 villagers)

Someone really nice offered me to adopt their Kabuki, so I really need to clear a spot!

So Gladys pinged me today, and I hit the reset button, and she pinged me again.
Even if I reset will it always be her that will ping to move out ?

I would like chadder to leave.

I'm sorry for my terrible English ;n; ! Hope someone can understand me ^--^!

Yes, until you stop her, she will be the only one that will ping.

Thank you !!

So I have to forward (or back) 5-6 days in order to get another villager to ping, is that it ? :)

Thank you for answering!

Not necessarily. The time period between pings can vary and is more or less random, sometimes it can be that much but it can be a lot less (I tend to get pings every two days or so, for example) so if you TT days forward you can risk losing a villager you like. You should also keep in mind that villagers won't ping if there's an event coming up. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure that if you deny a villager's request to move on the last day before the time jump, you won't lose anyone after you go forward.

I can share the method I use to move out villagers quickly if you'd like but in any case, if you're going to TT forward by more than one or two days, it's a good idea to use a new character to check if anyone's missing.

Not necessarily. The time period between pings can vary and is more or less random, sometimes it can be that much but it can be a lot less (I tend to get pings every two days or so, for example) so if you TT days forward you can risk losing a villager you like. You should also keep in mind that villagers won't ping if there's an event coming up. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure that if you deny a villager's request to move on the last day before the time jump, you won't lose anyone after you go forward.

I can share the method I use to move out villagers quickly if you'd like but in any case, if you're going to TT forward by more than one or two days, it's a good idea to use a new character to check if anyone's missing.

Hello again Laser Beams :3 !!

Ahh so it only works when you travel forward then? (and not backwards)
I was trying to go backward as well because I never got to see the cherry blossom period!

And yes I heard horrible stories about TT and losing a character :( so I try to do it day-by-day (if I am not losing patience)

I would love to know more about your method!

Yesterday while TTing I had Melba ping me, but eventually she stayed ;n; ! (even after I restet twice) (I find her cute, but Kabuki is a priority)
Is there are reason why the new character is necessary ? thank you very much!!

Hello again Laser Beams :3 !!

Ahh so it only works when you travel forward then? (and not backwards)
I was trying to go backward as well because I never got to see the cherry blossom period!

And yes I heard horrible stories about TT and losing a character :( so I try to do it day-by-day (if I am not losing patience)

I would love to know more about your method!

Yesterday while TTing I had Melba ping me, but eventually she stayed ;n; ! (even after I restet twice) (I find her cute, but Kabuki is a priority)
Is there are reason why the new character is necessary ? thank you very much!!

If you travel backwards, it'll count as one day forward, always. For example, it doesn't matter if you travel back 5 days or 5 years, it'll count as one day forward in game. I guess you can do it by travelling backwards, but then you'd technically just be going forward one day every time you went back. I hope this makes sense.

The new character is necessary because if you use your mayor or an existing, those changes will be fixed for you. If you use a new character to check if someone has moved out when jumping forward by a long time, if you don't like it, it'll be easier to revert the changes as long as you don't save that character (so start the new character, and when Porter gives you the map, see if anyone is gone. Depending on how much you've skipped ahead, you may also want to check if anyone is in boxes, which you can do by not taking the new character to the town hall but just wandering around town to see. Then quit without saving).

You can go back in time safely since it counts as only one day forward in the game, it'd be like TTing to the next day. However, when you want to come back to the present day, make sure that you deny a villager's request to move before you skip forward, since days skipped forward will count as that number of days (if you go forward five years it'll count as five years).

The method I used can get lengthy so here's a quick explanation behind a spoiler tag:

First, I deny someone's request to move. Then I save and quit.

Then I try to find a week that has no events in it, because if there are any events coming up, villagers will not ping you to move. I use the 3DS calendar to set my 3DS date to the Sunday that begins that week in the game. I load the game as my mayor, immediately save and quit.

Then I go back to the 3DS calendar. I set the date forward by one year. I go back to the game but this time I do NOT load as my mayor. I start the game as a new character. After the train scene, Porter gives me the map and I look at it, then exit without saving.

I go back to the 3DS calendar and put the year back to the year when I last saved as my mayor. I load my game normally and go find the villager who was missing from the map. That villager will ping me.

If they don't, I talk to them half a dozen times or so to see if they mention moving. If they don't do that either, I save and quit, then load again as the mayor, and go find them to see if they ping, if they don't I talk to them several times. I repeat this part as many times as needed until they ask me to move.

If it's someone I want to get rid of, I'll say yes, then save and quit. I can then set the calendar back to my original date and play normally. Since going back in time counts as one day forward, I take that into account when I calculate when the villager will move. If they said they'd be moving in X days, they'll now move in X-1 days. This only usually matters if I'm planning on trading them or something.

If it's someone I want to keep, I tell them to stay, save and quit. Then I go to the 3DS calendar, set the year forward by one year. I load as my mayor, immediately save and quit. I go back to the 3DS calendar, add one year to it, go back to the game, start a new character to check who's missing. I quit without saving and set the calendar back by one year. I load as my mayor, see if the villager who was missing one year later pings me, talk to them if they don't, as I explained above. I repeat this step as many times as necessary until the villager is someone I want to get rid of.

Example using random villagers and dates: let's say I want to get rid of Marshal. It's May 26, 2014. I start the game as my mayor and Tia asks me to move. I tell her to stay. I save the game and quit. Then, on that same day, I go to the 3DS calendar and set it to Sunday, June 1 2014 (assuming there are no events the June 1-7 week, I don't think there were but this is just a random example).

I start the game as my mayor, immediately save and quit. I go back to the 3DS calendar, and set the date to June 1 2015. I open the game but I do NOT load the mayor. I start a new character. When the character exits the train, I take a look at the map. Merengue is missing from the map. I exit without saving. I go back to the 3DS calendar, set it to June 1 2014 again, the day I last saved as the mayor. I go find Merengue and see if she pings me. She doesn't, so I talk to her a few times. She says nothing about moving, so I save and quit, and load as the mayor again (still on June 1 2014). This time she pings me. I tell her to stay and save and quit.

I go back to the 3DS calendar. I set it to June 1 2015. I start the game as my mayor and save and quit without doing anything else. I go to the calendar again, set it to June 1 2016. I start a new character, see if anyone's gone, exit without saving, set the calendar to June 1 2015 which was the date I'd saved as my mayor. I load the game as the mayor and go talk to Julian who was missing from the 2016 map. I see if he pings me, if not I talk to him, if he says nothing I save and quit, reload, see if he pings me or mentions it. When he finally asks, I ask him to stay, save and quit the game.

Then I go to the calendar, set it to June 1 2016, load as the mayor, save and quit. I set the calendar to June 1 2017, use a new character to see who's gone. What luck, it's Marshal! I exit without saving, set the calendar to 2016 again, and do the whole process of getting Marshal to ask to move. I say yes. He says he's moving on June 6 2016 and I save and quit.

I then go back to the calendar one last time. I set it back to the date I was in when I started the whole process. Marshal was moving in five days. Since going back in time counts as one day forward, he'll now move in 4 days. I do the maths and keep this in mind so I can trade him off.

I hope this makes sense. There are other similar ways (try to find a post on this forum by a user called faerie, it outlines different variants and it's where I got this one from) but this is the one I use since I find it easier, and I'd probably mess up if I used the other varients so I find this one safer as well as long as I don't get distracted and load as my mayor when I should be starting a new character.

The only downside to this is that you get weeds and bed hair but that's nothing you can't fix quickly after you're done. I think you could probably apply it to smaller periods of time if you don't want that to happen as much but I find year by year easier to avoid getting mixed up with events.

I hope this is clear enough, let me know if it isn't. :) It sounds complicated but you'll get the hang of it. Also, if you're TTing any amount of time (regardless of whether you're using the method above or any other), make sure you have the Beautiful Town ordinance to prevent roaches, dead flowers, etc. from happening. :)

Hello! I'm a new player, just started playing a few days ago. I'm completely new to the series, I bought it because I want to know what the hype is all about. I didn't realize the game is using real game time before I bought it, I really hate this feature because you have to wait, wait and wait. But since I'm on semester break now and have lots of free time, I can bear with it. I don't want to time travel because I feel like it's cheating.

Anyway, I'm completely loss at what to do. Everyday I just try to earn money as much as possible to repay home loans and earn funds for public works project. So I spend most of my time playing the game by shaking trees, catching fishes and stung by bees. Thus, it feels boring. Is this the correct way of playing?

May I ask where to exchange friend code? I wanna try playing online though I still don't understand about this feature despite looking around in forums online. Let's say I shake the tree with oranges, so that tree no longer has oranges, so the visitor will not see any oranges? And if the visitor running around my town and stepping on flowers, will the flowers no longer be there when I play in my town again? And what's with turnips and entrance fee? Is entering the other player's town the same as playing in your town, that is you can talk to villagers as usual, sell stuff, catching fishes etc except that you're not the mayor? And whatever that visitor do will effect the host's town? Sorry for asking lots of questions :/

Last edited:
Hello! I'm a new player, just started playing a few days ago. I'm completely new to the series, I bought it because I want to know what the hype is all about. I didn't realize the game is using real game time before I bought it, I really hate this feature because you have to wait, wait and wait. But since I'm on semester break now and have lots of free time, I can bear with it. I don't want to time travel because I feel like it's cheating.

Anyway, I'm completely loss at what to do. Everyday I just try to earn money as much as possible to repay home loans and earn funds for public works project. So I spend most of my time playing the game by shaking trees, catching fishes and stung by bees. Thus, it feels boring. Is this the correct way of playing?

May I ask where to exchange friend code? I wanna try playing online though I still don't understand about this feature despite looking around in forums online. Let's say I shake the tree with oranges, so that tree no longer has oranges, so the visitor will not see any oranges? And if the visitor running around my town and stepping on flowers, will the flowers no longer be there when I play in my town again? And what's with turnips and entrance fee? Is entering the other player's town the same as playing in your town, that is you can talk to villagers as usual, sell stuff, catching fishes etc except that you're not the mayor? And whatever that visitor do will effect the host's town? Sorry for asking lots of questions :/

Hello!

There is no correct way of playing. Everyone has a different approach to the game. To make money there are several things to do: Shake trees for bells, sell your fruit, catch fish and bug, go beetle hunting at the island, sell turnips, breed hybrids to sell on the forum, or sell villagers in the villager trading forum
To make the game not boring most people spend their time decorating their towns and homes and getting the villagers they want. Some are happier resetting often and others just want to see what the new day brings. Some like to collect every item available too.. You have to make your own fun. :3

You can exchange friend codes here: http://www.belltreeforums.com/forumdisplay.php?77-The-Train-Station-(AC-NL-Online)
Anything you do or someone else does in your town if final. They will see your town as you see it and you them.
Most people impose a "no running" rule in town so they don't have to worry about their flowers being destroyed.

For turnips most people ask for a tip to enter and sell since most people can make such a high profit from selling from someone who has a high turnip price for the day. You are basically paying for someone's time. :3

You can play and do everything you could do in another's town as you do your own. It's the same if you had a second character. You can interact with everything but nab no control over mayoral duties.

Hope this helps...

Last edited:
I didn't realize the game is using real game time before I bought it, I really hate this feature because you have to wait, wait and wait. But since I'm on semester break now and have lots of free time, I can bear with it. I don't want to time travel because I feel like it's cheating.

I don't think Time Travelling is cheating, otherwise they wouldn't have a very specific and visible option to TT right on the main menu. :) When I can't play as much during the day I'll just set my town back by a few hours so I can play on it more. There's also the Night Owl ordinance depending on how late you usually play, it makes shops close later.

You'll have more stuff to do as you play the game, like being able to customise your character more, laying down paths in your town, breeding hybrid flowers, rearraging trees, planting bushes, playing games on the island, etc.

It'll also be easier to make money as you move along. Once you're able to plant more kinds of fruit (like perfect fruit of all kinds and even normal versions of non-native fruit) you can sell them for a decent sum at Re-Tail if you have a lot of trees. You can also make lots of money once you unlock the island, are able to dive, and once you get around to buying turnips.

You can also make money by using the forum, since you can sell/auction items and characters, or trade in your TBT for in-game bells.

By the way, even as early on as you are, you can do more than just that to make money. You can sell pretty much everything (like furniture, bugs, shells). You can also find the money rock in your town. Every day, a random rock in your town will give you money if you hit it. The faster you hit it, the more money you'll get so some people dig a hole behind their character to avoid recoil from the shovel and hit the rock faster. I never do that since I can't bother but I tend to get about 2000 bells on average just from that. It's always a different rock each day. You should also keep an eye out for rocks that randomly appear in your town, if they weren't there before you can smash them and you'll get a gem and sell it. If you want to get furniture made from things like gold ore don't sell it, of course, but otherwise you can get some decent money from it too. Every day, read the sign next to the Re-Tail door, it'll tell you which item they're paying more for on that day.

You can also use the flea market feature on Re-Tail if you don't mind villagers changing up their houses, sometimes you can re-sell items that way for more than they're worth.

It'll also be easier to figure out which fish and bugs are worth more as you play so don't be discouraged. Once you get the hang of it you can make a few thousands in half an hour at least. :)

To get your FC, you have to go on your Nintendo main screen. At the top of the screen there's a little bar with icons. Click on the orange one with a smiley icon. There's an option there to get your Nintendo friend code and to add people's friend codes. To be able to visit your town I think you have to be mutual friends with them. You can also decide when people can visit you by talking to Porter at the station, there'll be an option to open your station gates so people can visit you. There's a "best friend" feature so you can filter out people if you only want a few friends to be able to visit but not others.

I don't recommend adding people unless they're trustworthy. I usually add people for trades and then remove them from my Nintendo friend list, unless I want to play with them again or trust them.

If someone goes into your town it'll be like playing in theirs and vice-versa. So yes, they can trample your flowers and pick fruit, if you have no fruit on your trees they won't be able to see it either. You can pull the wi-fi switch if someone is damaging your town as well but it's best to be on the save side since it can be too late sometimes.

If you want people to visit your town without ruining anything, you can make a Dream Town. As you play, you'll unlock a project that lets you do this. A Dream Town is a static version of your town that you can save and which has its own special code for people to visit through the same project in their town. They can tear down trees and trample flowers in Dream Towns but that won't be saved, so even if someone ruins your town in Dream-mode, it won't have any effect on your town when you play. They won't be able to visit your shops though.

How do you catalog furniture from someone else's town? Do you just hold it then put it back, and then you can find it in your kiosk?

Did a quick lookup of this on the thread and it turned up nothing, so I'm asking this now.

How many mannequins can I get per character save? There's one from Gracie, but there's others, and can I get specifics on how to get them? Thanks.

Did a quick lookup of this on the thread and it turned up nothing, so I'm asking this now.

How many mannequins can I get per character save? There's one from Gracie, but there's others, and can I get specifics on how to get them? Thanks.

Mable: Purchase 51 items from her.
Sable: Purchase 50 items from Mable and/or Labelle and talk with her every day.
Labelle: Purchase 31 items from her, on separate days.
Gracie: Purchase first item from her boutique.

for paths (im not using patterns) is it best to lay it out as flowers til i get shrubs? i am having such a hard time with this path system.

for paths (im not using patterns) is it best to lay it out as flowers til i get shrubs? i am having such a hard time with this path system.

If you're going with natural grass-wear paths, then it's suggested to line it with flowers or plants, as the wear can spread farther than you want. c:

EDIT: For faster results, you can take trips to the island and fill your pockets with flowers to bring back in the box. I think it will hold 40 per trip.

Last edited:
If you're going with natural grass-wear paths, then it's suggested to line it with flowers or plants, as the wear can spread farther than you want. c:

EDIT: For faster results, you can take trips to the island and fill your pockets with flowers to bring back in the box. I think it will hold 40 per trip.

Ok. Making sure I am not doing all this work for nothing. Flowers aren't my issue. The island lady hates giving me shrubs. lol

Probably a silly question but will bushes grow next to a rock? I'm looking to hide this one in front of town hall as best as possible.

Back