Bowie's Art Thread V2 ★ Digital Paintings, GFX, 3D Renders, Tutorials

What is rendering do

Rendering is basically the composition of an image. So, if I made a 3D scene, I would have to render it in order to convert the 3D space into a 2D image. When I make animations, I have to render each frame of the animation, so the software can compute the 3D aspect and convert all of that into 2D imagery. If I didn't render, there would be no final image!

hb6HTGH.png

Cropped version of my last work. Quality isn't as good since it's a crop, but it's good enough.

I said that I was going to try and do tutorials here at some point, so today I'm going to be teaching the importance of naming your character's bones, and also the benefits of manually selecting vertices for your rig.

X3FOE9p.png

So, this is our model. As you can see, I just finished rigging her. But what if, when I moved her head for example, it didn't move, or only a small section moved. How do you fix this?

MMDUBfh.png

Well, the first thing you need to do is click on the head object (not the bone) and then go to the Data tab. This will bring up a selection of vertex groups, which is basically a way of finding out what your bones are allowed to move on your model. In this case, we want to have our bone move the head (the reason only one side of the face is showing is because I used a mirror modifier while making it), so press the "Select" button on your head bone in the Data tab.

vfRPau5.png

bxGWJvy.png

Once you do this, the head should appear highlighted (my highlight colour is blue, but yours may be different). This shows the vertices that the bone is allowed to manipulate when you're posing.

Fv9502j.png

You can do this for every part of your model, and you can even select different parts of the model to move with the same bone, so if your eyes weren't part of the head, you could simply select them as part of your head selection.

That's all for today!

Hi friend! Decided to pop in on tbt and check this thread today, i am kind of in a rush because i have to study for exams but once i am done with my exams i will be back to admire all of your work again, just wanted to let you know i did not forget about you or anything!

Last edited:
Hi friend! Decided to pop in on tbt and check this thread today, i am kind of in a rush because i have to study for exams but once i am done with my exams i will be back to admire all of your work again, just wanted to let you know i did not forget about you or anything!

That's so sweet of you! Thanks a lot!

Should probably apologise for my recent lack of activity here.

I've been spending a lot of time on other projects and I guess most of them wouldn't really belong on an Animal Crossing forum. Rest assured I'll continue to post all my WIPs and art progress here, but I don't think I'll be posting finished works here from now on. If anyone's interested in my "professional" art projects, feel free to contact me in private. Thank you!

Last edited:
DGZXDh3.png

I'm back!

And this time I'm working on a new Metroid character. It's inspired by two pieces of concept art for Dark Samus, made for Metroid Prime 2: Echoes.

40b1075a0e1a871eb440567aa245bac0.jpg

b9281f2a2d80279aaacfb947207f2760.jpg

I'm going to try and incorporate both designs, but I imagine the first one will be most prominent. Since I'm working from odd perspectives, I'm having to guess the proportions, but I think it's coming along quite nicely so far. Keeping it low poly so it's easier to texture in later stages.

UXlaKWc.png

Surprised at how little time it took to make this. There's still some width measurements to work out and the legs look a little too thin, but other than that, it's pretty much done. Next step is obviously texturing and rigging and stuff. As for what I'm gonna do with it, I have a number of ideas, but my first one is to make a neat render with it and show it off to the Metroid community, which I'm sure will love to see a model based off such an old piece of concept art.

2z07sHJ.png

And now the texturing is complete! I know it's pretty obvious what I've done, but I've added a gradient to the visor and tried my best to replicate the blobby texture that appears on the concept art I showed you earlier.

i7eiviY.png

xouy7lx.png

So, this is the final result!

Or it would be the final result if I didn't bloody hate it. I feel like the baking gave off the wrong colouring, and my textures weren't as accurate to the concept art as I would've liked.

And so I'm gonna start over and improve the mesh a little more before I start with textures. That being said, it doesn't look that bad for a low poly model.

0e4wz9i.png

Back