Bowie's Art Thread V2 ★ Digital Paintings, GFX, 3D Renders, Tutorials

anafxjU.png

This is messy trash.

3D_Metroid_Front_By_Arno_Schmitz.jpg

This, you guys, is my favourite 3D model of all-time. It was made by a man named Arno Schmitz, and it's the exact level of talent I want to reach someday. I want to be able to replicate that kind of work and quality someday.

3D_Metroid_Wires_By_Arno_Schmitz.jpg

In an article he wrote about the making of the model, he said that within only a few hours he had a basic shape made out. Hell, it takes me days just to make the head, never mind the whole body.

This is what I aspire to. I wanted to share this with you, not only because it's a great piece of work, but because I'd like to give you all a little idea of what I'm trying to get to. Why I keep doing the same things over and over. I want to get it right and have it be perfect.

uT5tpwI.png

I was advised by someone on Reddit to try and keep the poly amount low while tweaking, as it will make rigging and texturing a whole lot easier when the time comes in. So, for now, this is my Samus head. Now I just need to get some sculpting down to define the edges and strict curves, and make it look generally more metallic. Still not sure what the best way to go about this would be, without resorting to my usual high poly sculpting techniques (which is what I'm desperately trying to avoid in this attempt).

Also, I'm sorry for keep doing the same things. This is just something I have to do.

Z3jmurz.png

Coming along pretty nice now.

The biggest change I've made this time is the curves on her head. The next step is straightening them out.

Zd4R1W0.png

Final update on the head for a while now. Following Arnold's development process, he started out with a very basic shape and then worked on adding details after the model had been made, unlike me, who has gone pretty crazy on the head and not even got started on any other part of the body.

Remembering this, I'm stopping with the head stuff for now. Next I'll work on the body, and try not to go overboard on details.

Also, I'm applying blank colours to the model as I go, as this makes things a lot easier as I mess with the vertices and create new edges. When the model is complete I'll texture it properly and then bake it, if I can figure out how to bake in Cycles.

Uaq6weC.png

Body time.

Pretty content with how this is turning out. There is still a lot of work to do, though, especially on the side. The upper torso also needs some work and needs sharpening a bit. I'll probably have to mess with the head a little to get it to match the body, but it shouldn't be too bad.

I'm off to play some SSB4. When I get back I'll work more on the body.

3rholRI.png

It's all starting to look really good now. Obviously these are just temporary colours, but it gives me an idea of what it's going to look like as an end result, and it's definitely the best I've done so far. After some more tweaking to the head and body, I'll be able to start on the limbs.

4JMYsdI.png

Took a break from my Samus model for a while to make this quick model of the new Five Nights at Freddy's character.

This stuff is looking fantastic.

Thank you!

y5jyEey.png

And now the shoulder pad things. Obviously it's going to be quite stylistic again, but I guess it's gonna be a mixture of Arnold's design and Nintendo's own design. Now I've gotta do the arms, which is gonna kill me because hands are still murder for me.

rfA4Bw8.png

Let's be honest. I haven't made any real progress today. That guy had the whole model (the basic shape of the whole model) made in "a couple hours". It's been, what, three days for me? I haven't even done the arm.

0Jhn77m.jpg

I am happy to say Samus is coming along beautifully right now.

The hand was the part I was dreading the most, so now that's out the way, I can get started on the legs and the gun. As you can see, I've also added some plain colours to the model, just so I can get a general idea of how it's going to look when the model is finished, and I like it! Obviously I'm gonna add textures and stuff, but yeah.

I have a lot of plans for this model when it's finished.

Back