Death Penalty

Status
Not open for further replies.
*trevor said:
PurpleHeart said:
Jas0n said:
PurpleHeart said:
Quoting limited to 4 levels deep
I seriously want to smash my face against a desk due to this post.
Im just saying what I think everyone has their own opinions
And opinions can't make people want to bash their heads on their desks?
Exactly this.

Your opinion has no merit, it's very closed-minded and inexperienced.

*trevor said:
PurpleHeart said:
Jas0n said:
PurpleHeart said:
I seriously want to smash my face against a desk due to this post.
Its like his saying my opinion is dumb. He has his own opinion but you dont see me trying to smash my head

Pear said:
You should get life in prison. It's not right to take someone's life for murder. In a sense, you're condoning the murder, because you're willing to take the killer's life. Besides, it leads to the killing of innocent people. Over 130 innocent people have been killed by the death penalty in the U.S. You can't just say, "My bad bro, you're free to go." when they person's dead. Besides, it doesn't deter crime.
I'm reading a book about that exact thing right now. It's really made me stop and think about the death penalty.

Comatose said:
PurpleHeart said:
Jas0n said:
PurpleHeart said:
It's not so black and white. There are plenty of different shades and colours in between the two.

If you really think it's just classed as "Not Killer" and "Killer" then you don't know much about the world.
Once they kill they are known as killers sure they can change but not forever. People will always remember them as killers once you do it you cant change it
There are some people who have killed someone who aren't mass murderers. Just because someone killed someone else doesn't mean that they automatically have a sudden urge for blood and death.

There have been more than one "good people" that have killed someone whether out of desperation or greed. That's like saying someone who got drunk once is suddenly going to go out and drink every drop of alcohol they can get their hands on.
Well, just because you're a killer doesn't mean you have to kill lots of people. If you just kill one person you still killed someone and therefore you are a killer.

Ciaran said:
Rawburt said:
Pally said:
Okay so as an example let's just say Ciaran did something to me that was completely wrong and he deserved to be punished. So I go and kill him.
Now it's wrong for me to kill him correct?
Now let's say I get sentenced for death penalty as MY punishment.
Now what really is the difference here? Nothing. Except for the fact my punishment came to idea in some office? It's the same thing.
It's not the same thing. The only thing that's in common with that is that life is taken away.

Murder is worse than capital punishment.
Yes but let's just say pally didn't kill me, and I got the death penalty for what I did to her, both scenarios will end the same (for me), it's just the executioner that differs. (and also pally isn't a murderer)
I'm having a little trouble following this scenario honestly.

However, I've never heard of anyone who got the death penalty in the US outside of murderers, they're usually only given to serial killers as far as I know.

Ciaran said:
Rawburt said:
Pally said:
Okay so as an example let's just say Ciaran did something to me that was completely wrong and he deserved to be punished. So I go and kill him.
Now what really is the difference here? Nothing. Except for the fact my punishment came to idea in some office? It's the same thing.
It's not the same thing. The only thing that's in common with that is that life is taken away.

Yes but let's just say pally didn't kill me, and I got the death penalty for what I did to her, both scenarios will end the same (for me), it's just the executioner that differs. (and also pally isn't a murderer)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_punishment_in_the_United_States#Crimes_subject_to_capital_punishment

There are only a tiny few crimes that don't involve the killing of someone else that receive the death penalty. Treason and espionage were the only one that came to my mind immediately, and how often do those happen now? The last one I could think of was the Rosenbergs from the 1950s, at the beginning of Cold War paranoia. You also have to remember that the death penalty is not mandatory for those crimes that allow it as punishment, it depends on the prosecutor and jury.

Also, I should probably point out that I'm looking at this from the point of view of a U.S. citizen.

Comatose said:
PurpleHeart said:
Jas0n said:
PurpleHeart said:
It's not so black and white. There are plenty of different shades and colours in between the two.

If you really think it's just classed as "Not Killer" and "Killer" then you don't know much about the world.
Once they kill they are known as killers sure they can change but not forever. People will always remember them as killers once you do it you cant change it
There are some people who have killed someone who aren't mass murderers. Just because someone killed someone else doesn't mean that they automatically have a sudden urge for blood and death.

There have been more than one "good people" that have killed someone whether out of desperation or greed. That's like saying someone who got drunk once is suddenly going to go out and drink every drop of alcohol they can get their hands on.
All im saying is that their actions are never forgotten to most people. For example, a kid beats up another kid. The next day all the other kids are gonna be afraid of him. Thats why parents always say think about what youre gonna do before doing it

Smugleaf said:
Comatose said:
PurpleHeart said:
Jas0n said:

Well, just because you're a killer doesn't mean you have to kill lots of people. If you just kill one person you still killed someone and therefore you are a killer.
With the example I posted earlier, most people on TBT are lying thieves. Why should I trust what you're saying right now?

:p

PurpleHeart said:
*trevor said:
PurpleHeart said:
Jas0n said:
Its like his saying my opinion is dumb. He has his own opinion but you dont see me trying to smash my head
And opinions can't be dumb? I'm sorry, but you've been lied to if you think your opinions are inherently unassailable.

*trevor said:
Pally said:
*trevor said:
Pally said:
Well, perhaps the thing Ciaran did to you wasn't bad enough to warrant your vigilante execution?
What if he did?

Does it really matter? It's not right to take someone's life away either way.
Hey man, I'm just going off of your example.

I don't know that there are any crimes that receive the death penalty that don't involve murder in one form or another. So if Ciaran did something to you and you retaliate, he clearly didn't kill you. I'm just saying the analogy doesn't work.
Lol I'm not mad at you or anything Trevorlia. It's just a topic hurr. :]

No what I'm saying is if Ciaran did something to me in the past that I felt was something that he deserves to be punished for and I went to go kill him as his punishment, then I got a death sentence is their any real difference between me and the goverment?
And yes Rob murder is the worst crime out there. I agree 110%. But I don't believe that to justify a murder we have to take another life away. It's just as wrong.

*trevor said:
Ciaran said:
Rawburt said:
Pally said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_punishment_in_the_United_States#Crimes_subject_to_capital_punishment

There are only a tiny few crimes that don't involve the killing of someone else that receive the death penalty. Treason and espionage were the only one that came to my mind immediately, and how often do those happen now? The last one I could think of was the Rosenbergs from the 1950s, at the beginning of Cold War paranoia. You also have to remember that the death penalty is not mandatory for those crimes that allow it as punishment, it depends on the prosecutor and jury.

Also, I should probably point out that I'm looking at this from the point of view of a U.S. citizen.
Yes but I don't think the persecutor and jury should have to power to kill someone, solely because there's room for an error in their judgement, and if the error comes to the surface after the punishment, it's not like they can just open the cell door and tell the person to go home.

Pally said:
*trevor said:
Pally said:
*trevor said:
What if he did?

Does it really matter? It's not right to take someone's life away either way.

I don't know that there are any crimes that receive the death penalty that don't involve murder in one form or another. So if Ciaran did something to you and you retaliate, he clearly didn't kill you. I'm just saying the analogy doesn't work.

No what I'm saying is if Ciaran did something to me in the past that I felt was something that he deserves to be punished for and I went to go kill him as his punishment, then I got a death sentence is their any real difference between me and the goverment?
And yes Rob murder is the worst crime out there. I agree 110%. But I don't believe that to justify a murder we have to take another life away. It's just as wrong.
Yes. You're taking justice into your own hands, which is an action that our society attempts to make unnecessary. On top of that, the justice system, assuming that it did hand down the death sentence for a murder with extenuating circumstances, would be taking the life of a murderer. You would have not.

*trevor said:
PurpleHeart said:
*trevor said:
PurpleHeart said:
And opinions can't be dumb? I'm sorry, but you've been lied to if you think your opinions are inherently unassailable.
That's why they are called Opinions one person may not be right but its what the person thinks

Ciaran said:
*trevor said:
Ciaran said:
Rawburt said:

Yes but I don't think the persecutor and jury should have to power to kill someone, solely because there's room for an error in their judgement, and if the error comes to the surface after the punishment, it's not like they can just open the cell door and tell the person to go home.
Yupp.

What is the point of keeping someone alive who not only contributes nothing useful to society, but instead kills/traumatizes others? I like the idea of eye for eye penalty but only if there were thorough investigations and DNA evidence.

PurpleHeart said:
*trevor said:
PurpleHeart said:
*trevor said:
That's why they are called Opinions one person may not be right but its what the person thinks
Yes, that is... a definition of an opinion. Sort of. What you don't seem to understand is that just saying "that's my opinion" doesn't shelter it or you from the resulting criticism.

d7crab said:
What is the point of keeping someone alive who not only contributes nothing useful to society, but instead kills/traumatizes others?
You can contribute to society and still kill someone.

*trevor said:
PurpleHeart said:
*trevor said:
PurpleHeart said:
Yes, that is... a definition of an opinion. Sort of. What you don't seem to understand is that just saying "that's my opinion" doesn't shelter it or you from the resulting criticism.
Yes but everyone has different point of views. Like some people think...Miley Cyrus cant sing but others say she can. Its from were you see it

*trevor said:
Pally said:
*trevor said:
Pally said:

Yes. You're taking justice into your own hands, which is an action that our society attempts to make unnecessary. On top of that, the justice system, assuming that it did hand down the death sentence for a murder with extenuating circumstances, would be taking the life of a murderer. You would have not.
But at the end of the day if we forget all labels (murderer, victim, judge)
What has happened? Two people have lost their lives. Is that a right thing?

d7crab said:
What is the point of keeping someone alive who not only contributes nothing useful to society, but instead kills/traumatizes others? I like the idea of eye for eye penalty but only if there were thorough investigations and DNA evidence.
Shari'a Law in the USA, baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back