• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

Digital or Hard copy? What are you choosing?

I already preordered the hardcopy, so I'm just going to end up sticking to that. \m/

Digital seems like a good idea, though. Never having to worry about loosing your game and all that jazz.

I'd prefer digital, but I cannot get that because I pre-ordered the bundle already, which came with the digital instead! I'll survive, though.

Really? Why would Nintendo make the Digital more pricey?

Because in the UK the price is determined wholly by the store and Nintendo doesn't get a choice in price. Our shops choose to sell it lower than Nintendo's RRP. (Thankfully, cause they don't seem to realise $1 =/= ?1) Why Nintendo doesn't match them on the e-shop though is beyond me.

Anyway I'm also going for both, getting the Bundle for the digital copy though, so I still don't get the benefit of midnight release.

I've got a physical copy pre-ordered. I already have a 3DS XL, so I didn't see need (nor the money) to get the bundle.

Really? Why would Nintendo make the Digital more pricey?

Because digital copy is sold at MSRP price. Which varies by region but usually is around $34.99 - $39.99 for NA 3DS games. And I'm pretty sure that 29.99 for the physical Is because of sales and stuff on the hard copy of the game, if I'm not mistaken
:O

Because digital copy is sold at MSRP price. Which varies by region but usually is around $34.99 - $39.99 for NA 3DS games. And I'm pretty sure that 29.99 for the physical Is because of sales and stuff on the hard copy of the game, if I'm not mistaken
:O

?29.99, I'm pretty sure is just the retail price here. Very few DS/3DS games are more than that and near all of them are Mario/Pokemon/Zelda.
Though Smyths do it for 9p cheaper! o: And I imagine some supermarkets might offer it for ~?27.99 once it's out. - My local one always sells new releases for ?2 less than the Game store behind it.

I'm going digital.
Midnight gaming without having to go to a store.
$10 Wii U promotional money on my 3DS just for this game.
And always with my 3DS.

You mean the physical is 39.99 right?

I'm getting digital because I have no choice with the bundle. But I may have gotten it digital anyways. I don't really care about box art!
No, I mean the physical version is ?29.99.
image.jpg

Edit: Didn't realise that you were already told.

Last edited:
Digital of course. Why would I want to carry around game cards for a portable gaming console?

The golden age of physical game collection is dead- at least when it comes to Nintendo games. ****ty, flimsy boxes with plastic-saving holes cut out of them, non-reversible box art, and a four-page instruction booklet is hardly a collector's ideal purchase. Not to mention the mere existence of a digital version significantly reduces the long-term value of a physical game card.

I know Nintendo's eShop purchase system is broken in comparison to Steam, XBL, and PSN, but a physical game card is no more safe from theft or damage than your 3DS console is.

i'm preordering the xl.
so...
the answer is yes. i am getting something feely and getting something digital.

Digital of course. Why would I want to carry around game cards for a portable gaming console?

The golden age of physical game collection is dead- at least when it comes to Nintendo games. ****ty, flimsy boxes with plastic-saving holes cut out of them, non-reversible box art, and a four-page instruction booklet is hardly a collector's ideal purchase. Not to mention the mere existence of a digital version significantly reduces the long-term value of a physical game card.

I know Nintendo's eShop purchase system is broken in comparison to Steam, XBL, and PSN, but a physical game card is no more safe from theft or damage than your 3DS console is.

I agree with you that physical copies of video games are getting cheaper and cheaper in quality. The cases aren't as nice and more and more nowadays they come with an almost non-existent instruction manual. BUT I think that the 3DS isn't bad for carrying around a whole bunch of games. The game cartridges are really small. Even if you're traveling, you can fit a ton of them in one sandwich size Ziplock bag and it still takes up much, much less space than the 3DS itself.

Since I'm getting the bundle I will have to settle for digital, however I am not a fan of it since playing the sims you have to deal with origin...and upon downloading 1 of my sims games from there the files kept downloading corrupt, I would rather have a physical copy...but if something happens...well its not a big deal to either re download it or buy a physical for me anyway

I want to download the game at midnight, and I want to have AC always on my DS so no matter what else Im playing, its still there. AC is the perfect kind of game to buy digital!

Im just going to get both, I bought a hard copy because I want to give it to my Boyfriend to play when im playing, and I got the digital version coming on my new XL

Ehh... I prefer physical copies of any game, always have, always will. I feel excited every time I go to Gamestop or Target, I like being able to see the game card for the first time, put it in the first time, ect, ect, and I just don't get the same warm happy feeling when buying digitally. Blah.

i preordered the hard copy. i just don't like digital downloads. itunes put a sour taste in my mouth and now i don't trust anything that's a digital copy. lol

I know this is late to reply to but you ever heard of steam? all that is is digital downloads basically and its really reliable. iTunes is crap. But anyway... I am getting digital copy because I want to play the game as soon as I can, and I hate switching out game cards all the time. I already have an empty space reserved in the home menu for animal crossing, and I will have fire emblem in my 3DS all the time (maybe luigis mantion dm).

I like my books physical.
I like my movies physical.
I like my music physical.
And I definitely like my games physical. I always prefer to have the tangibility of a physical copy of anything because it feels like I actually own it. That, and you don't get a case and manual with the digital copy. I suppose its a mild form of collecting. But yeah, definitely physical copy for me. Preordered it last Sunday.

Back