• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

Digital or Hard copy? What are you choosing?

I preordered my two copies yesterday for my son and myself. Looking forward to an afternoon out with him when we go get them.

Under "hard" you need to add "can sell". That's my only drawback to digital copies. When I'm done with a game I almost always sell it on amazon and get 85-90% of what I paid back. I've been recycling the same game money for years now lol. Animal Crossing is my only exception to this rule- I love this game so much and because there's literally no end to gameplay I'm fine with the digital copy-- which works out 'cause I'm getting the AC Bundle. xD

I love physical. Every is talking about how digital is so convenient because it's always on your system, but for real, how hard is it to carry around a 3DS cart?

No offense to digital purchasers, but I just really enjoy the physical copies :D

I brought an extra SD card with me when I went to trade in my old 3DS and somehow it slipped out of my pocket and landed who knows where. Good thing that SD card was empty, and I didn't have to include one with the system.
When ever I travel I don't like to bring too many games, but with New Leaf downloaded into my XL, that's one less game card I have to worry about.

I'm getting the bundle so will have the digital installed. It makes sense with a game like this to go digital as I don't want to be swapping cartridges down the line. Rune Factory 4 will be out soon after and I hate juggling cartridges. I would never sell New Leaf or my ac 3 ds.

Both. Digital for my ordinary 3DS and a cartridge for the XL.

Just out of interest, Is there any reason you're doing it this way round?
I'm doing the opposite so that I can stick the physical in the XL if I want so I can play both towns on the larger screens. Having digital for the normal 3DS means you can only play that town on the smaller screens.

Just out of interest, Is there any reason you're doing it this way round?
I'm doing the opposite so that I can stick the physical in the XL if I want so I can play both towns on the larger screens. Having digital for the normal 3DS means you can only play that town on the smaller screens.

It'll overwrite the data if you play a physical cartridge when you have the digital game on it.

It'll overwrite the data if you play a physical cartridge when you have the digital game on it.
Really? You mean the physical will overwrite the data of the digital? But I thought that in Lin&Ko's videos, Lin always plays her physical game on Kohei's XL, which has the digital version on it. And they can play both of their files just fine.

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding things here.

^Exactly as Campy said, 1:27:00 on this video Physical copy inside a 3DS with the digital copy and they both played their towns since.

I understand it might overwrite any extra data, but that should only be downloadable content, and I'll be getting it with both copies anyway, so there shouldn't be any issue.

Isn't the extra data stocking temporary SpotPass data if you received it without checking ACNL, rather than stocking all DLCs?

I don't know, maybe? I'd guess both, seeing as the 3DS should be able to recieve DLC via spotpass while you're not playing and load it onto the game when you next play as well. I'm not too sure how extra data works especially since a game cart should have enough extra empty space for everything.

Both. Physical copy will be my display/novelty town, and the digital copy will be the town I use to wifi with other people, so that my physical town won't be damaged/stolen from. :x

Absolutely digital for me. All of the games I have are digital, and I like flipping open my 3DS, tapping on whatever game I feel like playing at the moment, and not having to fuss with storing a bunch of game cards.

I also like buying my games at 12:01 AM the day they come out. :)

I think in the long term the digital copy carries more risk. What if your 3ds gets stolen, damaged, or scratched? Just think if wild world had a digital release, you wouldn't have been able to play it on 3ds. What if new leaf came out last year and then the xl bundle released? You couldnt have your town moved from an old model to a new one. I personally don't find switching cartridges to be a big deal and carrying an additional one takes up virtually zero pocket space. I feel like the cartridge is more hedging the bet but that's just my opinion.

Back