• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Glitches from the Adoption of Villagers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got this glitch just because I happened to visit someone else's island while having an open plot on my island. I was looking forward to using my NMT to look for villagers only to have it be taken by a glitched Flora which I apparently picked up from their void.

I tried waiting a few days, complaining to Isabelle, and time traveling backward and forward, but it didn't work. Then I tried forcing her out with a campsite visitor, but the visitor would never choose her as the one to kick. I suppose it could still just be really bad luck, but I reset at least 30 times trying to get him to pick Flora (seriously, this took up my whole afternoon) and she never came up.

FINALLY I used an amiibo card and that worked. I was hesitant to try cuz I heard someone say they did that to fix the glitch and it messed up their island even worse, but it seems to have all gone fine.

Seriously disappointed with the lack of patch or awareness of this glitch. :( The previous plot glitch was picked up by video game news sites and Nintendo fixed it soon after, but no one's talking about this even though it can affect players in a MUCH wider variety of situations. Even here I see misinformation about it being caused with amiibos. Guys, it's way scarier than that lol.

I got hit with the glitch too, and I think online play is something you need to avoid. Recruited Audie from a friend's town (day 0 4/12), everything looked OK up until I started going online again (day 1 4/12)... I have a feeling that interacting with other people (and their voids) triggers something. She got the plot on Day 0 fine and unpacking her boxes on Day 1 all OK. Then I visited a friend's town and also had someone visit me, at which point I noticed she glitched out :(

I think you're on to something here; there's definitely something weird going on with how the voids interact.
I secured a Sherb today and my town is on full quarantine lockdown for the next few days to make sure he isn't glitched aaaa

my marshal’s house got glitched. i got rid of the glitched house by TTing 1 year backward and then TTing 4 days forward.

my marshal’s house got glitched. i got rid of the glitched house by TTing 1 year backward and then TTing 4 days forward.
was trying to get a glitched rosie plot to reset to a normal plot for the past few days. tted 10 years forward, 10 back, day by day forward for like a month and nothing was getting rid of it. just tried tting back one more year (to 2019) to copy what you did and rosies glitched plot has been replaced with unglitched admiral. sucks to lose my favorite villager for an ugly bird man but at least i can have 10 villagers again. : )

was trying to get a glitched rosie plot to reset to a normal plot for the past few days. tted 10 years forward, 10 back, day by day forward for like a month and nothing was getting rid of it. just tried tting back one more year (to 2019) to copy what you did and rosies glitched plot has been replaced with unglitched admiral. sucks to lose my favorite villager for an ugly bird man but at least i can have 10 villagers again. : )
also should add the Admiral came from someones void, not a friend I don't believe because I don't recognize the island name but just someone from online play.

Add me to the list of people with glitched "I've moved out" villagers.

Sad, but at least the selling is cooperating with me to possibly amiibo Marshal back in eventually :(

Pathetic and inexcusable of them to not have this fixed by now. Nobody seems to have any chance of getting any villager bellow tier 2 because those are all people seem to sell here.

Someone I traded to found maybe a workaround (ymmv, but let me know if this works for you)

Kabuki moves into my town naturally, and is kicked out by amiibo. Adopter comes in to talk to him in boxes, but gets the repeated residence services cut scene, one of the signs of this bug. We try 3 times (I cut connection by putting switch into sleep, so previous visit is not saved) but he does the same thing each time. Adopter takes Kabuki anyways and returns to their town. They TT'd forward one month and a few weeks, and Kabuki looked perfectly fine. They also tested visiting someone's island (Kabuki is still OK). Unrelatedly, they tried to adopt Genji from someone else and that villager was locked up by the "I've moved out" glitch. Not sure if they took the same precautions or did something completely different. I just poked them to see if they had any updates.

update:
Moved another villager successfully with no glitches:
Marina moves into my town naturally (1st normal villager), and is kicked out by amiibo. Adopter comes to talk to her, goes back to their own town, all is well. I advised them to not have people over or visit anyone and TT a few days to be certain. Not sure if they followed my advice, but they are happy and I assume it worked out.

In both of these trades, my void was likely 0 to 1 villagers (Bud was the only other villager who moved out, and he was not adopted by anyone while in boxes.) The person who mentioned having 2+ voided villagers causing the bug may be onto something.

Last edited:
Hi. Is there any glitch reported about adopting a Amiibo invited, but moved out on his own villager?
Trying to adopt my favorite villager... but find out he was invited to the trader's island via Amiibo first. Not sure it's going to be safe or not :(

Hi. Is there any glitch reported about adopting a Amiibo invited, but moved out on his own villager?
Trying to adopt my favorite villager... but find out he was invited to the trader's island via Amiibo first. Not sure it's going to be safe or not :(
No I think that’s fine, more of an issue if an amibo came and pushed someone out and then you wanted that pushed out person

Yesterday, I attempted a trade that I knew had the potential to be glitched. The day before, the trader had the amiibo villager glitch, and the game moved in a different villager than the one traded. When I went in, I talked to the villager twice and got the repeated resident services glitch so we cut the connection. I attempted getting the villager with two towns - both times ending with the glitched resident services scene so we knew for sure it was the villager that glitched, not the town.

Luckily, I have a second town and an amiibo, so I took the risk anyway. Before I tried again, the trader saved and reopened the game. The time I took the villager (fourth time trying), I made sure to only talk to him once - therefore not testing if the resident services glitch was there. By the time I got back to my town, the trader shut down and tted to the next day, and checked the plot to ensure the next villager was moving in (kicked out via amiibo). When I got back to my town, I checked the plot and the traded villager's name was there! After tting a few months ahead, looks like the villager was here to stay. When I moved the villager to my other town, there was no glitches and no repeated resident services scene.

I think the glitch this time was caused mainly by amiibo & kicked out via amiibo (for it to happen twice with the same amiibo).

I am starting to get pretty peeved about this whole thing. Raymond finally pinged to move out and I'm sitting on the screen where I decide to tell him to stay or go.... yet even if his plot has never been occupied by anyone else, I see that this problem could still arise if I try to sell him at this point, amiibo or not.

Has Nintendo addressed that this is still an issue? Is a fix coming?

@Tabu
I hate to say but my game glitched with the exact situation you're describing, amiibo invited but naturally moved. One day the villager moved in fine, the next it says 'I've moved out" and it's been that way for over a week now.... might not happen to you but it definitely happens in that situation!

Yesterday I received Raymond from a friend. He was obtained via trade with an IRL friend. He had been forced out by a campsite (Not amiibo) villager. I TTed to get someone to move out, but my friend was not time travelling at all.

He was fine for a day real time. I time travelled to speed up and move him in, I then came back to normal time and he was still fine. Woke up this morning and he was still there. My girlfriend came to visit my island over local co-op and that's when it triggered. He now was nowhere to be seen and his house had the "I've moved out" glitch. I left the dialogue box open for a few minutes while my girlfriend was in my town. As soon as I closed it after a few minutes, Raymond came out

See video 1:
He was interactable, had normal conversations and I could even gift things to him. My girlfriend left via airport and after the loading screens he was gone again, plot still glitched.

I decided to try to recreate it. I got her to come back, again over local co-op, interacted with his house again and left it open for a few minutes again. Once again he came out

See video 2:
He is interactable again, I can see him fine. But my girlfriend cannot see him at all on her Switch. My character is just standing still with thin air next to them when I talk to him. She ran around and she clips through him on my instance of the game

See photo:
Another photo:
This is just super weird as I've seen no one else report this and it seems to be recreatable every time I try so far. I know people have been reporting glitches to Nintendo US but I'm not sure how to do that from Australia - would be useful for them to know this.

I’ve sadly just encountered this glitch. I did not even try to adopt the glitched villager, they came from someones void.

I visited someone earlier and had an open plot in my town. I believe that person had recently forced a villager (Boots) out via amiibo. When I came back to my town, I noticed my plot had been sold to Boots from the void. I TT to the next day, and his house has the “I’ve moved out” text. I have TT-ed backwards a year, and many day-by-days forward and have not been able to remove his plot. I also had a different villager move out, freed a plot, and invited a villager via the Nook Miles Islands, which all worked fine but did not remove the glitched house.
:( Will reach out to Nintendo support in the morning. So bummed about this, didn’t even know I could get a plot stolen the same day even just from returning from an online visit.

UPDATE: After a great deal of TT-ing, the plot eventually fixed itself and turned into an empty slot! So don’t give up if you’re trying to remove it. I went day by day for 20 days and then jumped a month at a time until it fixed itself.

Last edited:
Re-posting this because there are a lot of people who are speculating and apparently don't know the details.

I experienced the glitch now too. Finally got rid of one of my unwanted villagers. Sylvia moved out just fine. The plot was empty. So I TT back to normal time and now Gruff lives in the house. I didn't ask him to move. I just started the game and he is unboxing. He must be from someones void. How can I get him to move again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back