6558-6085-9694
Snow Angel Snowman
Dreamy Bear Plush
Black Famous Mushroom
Boo Halloweaster Egg
Mom's Plush
* * Introduction * *
Fairly unimportant;
feel free to skip down to the Important section!

Hi everyone. Like many people here, I've been searching for the fastest and easiest (also cheapest!) method to hunt for my favorite villagers (looking at you, Raymond). I tried searching to see if anyone has brought up this method yet, but I couldn't find any results.

After island hopping over 200 times and finding repeats of the same villagers, and TTing day-by-day to get ANY campsite villager to spawn proved fruitless, I finally gave up on those methods to search for Raymond. I decided to just let villagers randomly move in (the horror!) and hope for the best.

I had zero smugs living on my island when I finally got my first actual random move-in (I was initially getting voided villagers from people I visited/hosted, but since I "quarantined" my island, I began getting random move-ins). They were smug! Unfortunately, it was Rodney and not Raymond. I thought, heck, this may be just like New Leaf. In New Leaf, you were almost guaranteed a personality that you lack as a random move-in.

* * Important * *
Please read.

The information here is important for this method to work!
* You need to quarantine your island, which means you need to stop hosting/visiting others. This method relies on random move-ins – if you visit and host people, you will be getting their voided villagers instead of random move-ins.

* You need at least one of each of the other seven personality types - the amount doesn't matter! All that matters is that you do not have a villager with the personality of the specific villager you're targeting. For Raymond, this means you need to get rid of all of your smug villagers.
* If you're missing two personality types, such as lazy and smug, you'll get either a smug or a lazy as a random move-in: either one of the personalities you're missing.

* You need two plots for this method to work efficiently: A Target plot and a Cycle plot. This is because I can never get my most recent move-in to move out (which is important for this method to work).

* * TT Method * *

Please use the TT method in this thread to TT out villagers if TTing is something you're willing to do! It is very fast and efficient.
Tip: If you're doing the method in that thread: if you TT a day and you see no one with the thought bubble, close the game without saving and start the same day again! The villager that is supposed to have the thought bubble stays the same on the same day, so restarting the day may have them outside instead of inside.

* Example: I'm trying to get rid of Chadder. I start up my game and notice Chadder is in his house. I also see no one with the thought bubble outside, even though there should be someone moving (There should be someone moving if it is not Saturday/an event and if on the previous day you had Tom Nook "reset" who is trying to leave with the moving island home trick). This is a day Chadder may be the one with the thought bubble, but since he's inside, you can't get him to move. Close the game without saving, and start the day again. I'm pretty sure Isabelle will give her morning announcements again. When the day is started, look around for the thought bubble - there's a good chance it's someone who was in a house, such as Chadder! If it's not who you want, close the game without saving and TT one day forward. Rinse, repeat.

* * Steps * *
Important:

Ensure you have two extra plots:
a Target plot and a Cycle plot.

Target Plot: Dedicated to the personality type of the villager you're targeting.
Cycle plot: Dedicated to help move out whoever is in the Target plot, due to the most recent move-in rarely asking to move.

Start with the plot that was not your most recent move-in. For these steps, we'll start with moving out the villager in the Cycle plot.
1. Begin TTing until the villager in the Cycle plot asks to leave. Let them leave.
* Optional: After TTing out the villager from the "Cycle Plot," you can either do enough nook miles tasks for a single NMT and recruit a villager from an island, bring someone in via amiibo, or allow a villager to randomly move-in. Ensure that whoever you allow to move in is not the same personality as your target villager.

2. After you have moved out the villager in the Cycle plot and a new villager has successfully moved into the Cycle plot, begin to TT out the villager in the Target Plot.

3. Once you move out whoever is in the Target Plot, TT until you get a random move-in. It should be a villager of the personality that you are targeting. If you're targeting Raymond, you should get a random smug villager to move into the Target plot.
* If it isn't a villager of the personality you're targeting, you're either missing a personality type or you picked up a voided villager from multiplayer play. Continue the method until you clear out your void of other player's voided villagers. This may take a few times to clear your void.

4. Repeat steps 1-3 if you do not get your targeted villager.

* * My Experience * *
My target was Raymond, a smug villager.

1. Since Rodney was my most recent move-in, I moved out Bob from the Cycle plot.

2. After Bob left, I used a NMT to quickly find a villager replacement for Bob's old plot (the Cycle plot).

3. After the villager moved in, I then proceeded to TT out Rodney from the Target plot.

4. Once Rodney left, I continued to TT until I got a random move-in (can take several days for an actual random move-in; a voided villager takes up the plot very quickly, usually within a day or two).

This occurred eight times over the course of two days, and each time it happened, I got a smug villager to move into the Target plot 100% of the time.

These villagers are who I got to "randomly" move in with this method while targeting Raymond, a smug villager:
* Rodney
* Chops
* Chadder
* Lucha
* Lopez
* Tex
* Phil
* Colton

All smug villagers!
When my boyfriend did this method to help me hunt for Raymond, he had to kick out two of his smug villagers: Curlos and Phil.

When he got his first random move-in, it was Chadder.

After he kicked Chadder out and got his second random move-in, he got Raymond!

Despite not getting Raymond myself (luckily my bf gave him to me!), I'm very happy that this method worked so well – 100% of my move-ins had the targeted personality: smug!

* * Conclusion * *
With a 100% success rate of targeting a specific personality, this method is far more efficient than island hopping. It is highly recommended to do this method as well as the campsite method!

Note: I could have moved out more villagers in a shorter time frame if I had forced out my smugs via amiibo, but I was doing this during a time when villager plots were glitching as a result of forcing out villagers via amiibos. It should be much quicker to do this method when using amiibos to force out your target plot!

I hope this helps people find their favorite villagers – good luck everyone, and please feel free to post if this method has proven successful for you! ^_^

Last edited:
Hey everyone!! My hunt for Raymond is officially over - my bf followed the method and got Raymond on his SECOND "random" move-in!! *-*

I was continuing this method today as well, all of my random move-ins in my smug plot have all been smug (yay!). The villagers that moved in today:
* Lopez
* Tex
* Phil

This method is far more efficient than relying on island hopping or campsite visitors to hunt for a very specific villager. You have a 1/33 chance of encountering the smug villager you want with this method since there are only 33 smug villagers. ^^

That's nice to know. I've been TTing to hunt for specific villagers. Might give this a try.

Wow this is interesting about the random move ins! I know that missing a personality doesn't increase the chances for that personality to appear on mystery islands, so this random move in strategy is good!

I went 15+ tickets to find a single snooty when I was just missing that, and over 30+ for a single peppy when I was down a peppy lol

For all you wanting Raymond, currently this strategy seems to give you way higher chances than mystery islands!

Last edited:
I'll go ahead and add that you don't even have to find an island villager or use an amiibo to replace the villager that was in the cycle plot. In fact, you can just let randoms move into the cycle plot as well. I began doing that after Lopez because I was tired of going to the islands and going out of my way to do the nook miles tasks. One of the times I let a random move into the cycle plot, I got another smug! So I managed to get two "random" smugs in a row: one in my original "smug plot" and the other in the "cycle plot." Although the second smug is not guaranteed since you already have one on your island.

How do you know you're going to get truly random move ins if you visit with friends and trade often?
I'm not totally clear on how the void works, but how do you prevent from just getting the hand-me-downs of everyone you'd interacted with ingame?

How do you know you're going to get truly random move ins if you visit with friends and trade often?
I'm not totally clear on how the void works, but how do you prevent from just getting the hand-me-downs of everyone you'd interacted with ingame?
I just "quarantined" my island. I was getting voided villagers, but I stopped visiting and hosting others because of all of the glitches. My own void broke at least four people's islands with the "I've moved out" glitch.

So if you want to do this, you'll need to not visit or host people.

I have the same question as Hoosker. I don’t do random move ins since i’m scared of the glitch that many are reporting. Also, what do you mean when you said you have a broken void? I have no idea what that means ;-(

I have the same question as Hoosker. I don’t do random move ins since i’m scared of the glitch that many are reporting. Also, what do you mean when you said you have a broken void? I have no idea what that means ;-(
You don't get the glitch with actual random move-ins (not other people's voided villagers) or island villagers you find on your own. The issue is with getting villagers from online play. I have never gotten a glitched house plot myself, but I have given them to other people, including my bf. He had to deal with it by TTing for almost a full in-game month one day at a time.

By my void being broken, I mean my void has been giving people I host or visit glitched villagers that results in the "I've moved out." glitch. So to prevent my game from glitching people's games, I quarantined and stopped playing with people. I think it has something to do with me previously kicking out villagers via the campsite and with amiibo, so I'm hoping my void will clear on its own, but I'm too afraid to test it on anyone's game.

I would love to try this out but that means booting out Marshal and Ken from my island. A big no-no for me since I don't have their amiibos. T-T

I'd just like to ask, does it matter what the other personalities are, as long as they aren't smug?
Do they have to be evenly cranky, jock, lazy, snooty, peppy, normal and uchi?

I'd just like to ask, does it matter what the other personalities are, as long as they aren't smug?
Do they have to be evenly cranky, jock, lazy, snooty, peppy, normal and uchi?
Ah, knew I was forgetting something! As long as you have one of each other personality type, this method will work! So you need at least one of each of the seven other personality types - how many doesn't matter! All that matters is that you not have a villager with the personality of the specific villager/personality you're targeting. If you're missing two personality types, such as lazy and smug, you'll get either a smug or a lazy: either of the personalities you're missing.

Ah, knew I was forgetting something! As long as you have one of each other personality type, this method will work! So you need at least one of each of the seven other personality types - how many doesn't matter! All that matters is that you not have a villager with the personality of the specific villager/personality you're targeting. If you're missing two personality types, such as lazy and smug, you'll get either a smug or a lazy: either of the personalities you're missing.

Ahh, this makes sense, thanks for clarifying!

This is good conformation! I was going to and tried to do this but got Patty back from my sister. Now that's over I'll try this again!

Thank you for this! I’m trying this method, but I’m on the step of TTing out my current smug and it’s taking forever!

This is actually super interesting! Thanks for sharing! I have no smug villagers because Lionel moves out several days ago and got Stitches to move in after finding him on and Island, so I might give this a try! I have never TT’ed to get a villager to move out (I only TT one day ahead or back for flowers and hybrids) so this should be interesting. It’s a much better chance than having 1/1000 for Raymond through NMT.

This is actually super interesting! Thanks for sharing! I have no smug villagers because Lionel moves out several days ago and got Stitches to move in after finding him on and Island, so I might give this a try! I have never TT’ed to get a villager to move out (I only TT one day ahead or back for flowers and hybrids) so this should be interesting. It’s a much better chance than having 1/1000 for Raymond through NMT.

Yup the odds are wayyyy better than NMT! This strategy is a bit more time consuming to do, but appears to lead to a lot more consistent results. I haven't tried it myself and am scared to do so because of the voided villagers, I've hosted a lot of my friends recently!

Thank you for this! I’m trying this method, but I’m on the step of TTing out my current smug and it’s taking forever!
It really does take awhile to TT people out when you aren't kicking them out with amiibos. I was TTing villagers out all day the "fast way" but I still only managed to get three done in a day.

I recommend using the method posted in this thread to TT villagers out, if you aren't already. Also, a tip if you're doing the method in that thread: if you TT a day and you see no one with the thought bubble, close the game and start the same day again! The villager that is supposed to have the thought bubble stays the same on the same day, so restarting the day may have them outside instead of inside.

For example: I'm trying to get rid of Chadder. I start up my game and notice Chadder is in his house. I also see no one with the thought bubble outside, even though there should be someone moving (There should be someone moving if it is not Saturday/an event and if on the previous day I had Tom Nook "reset" who is trying to leave with the moving island home trick). This is a day Chadder may be the one with the thought bubble, but since he's inside, you can't get him to move. Close the game without saving, and start the day again. I'm pretty sure Isabelle will give her morning announcements again. When the day is started, look around for the thought bubble - there's a good chance it's someone who was in a house, such as Chadder! If it's not who you want, close the game and TT one day forward. Rinse, repeat. ^^

It really does take awhile to TT people out when you aren't kicking them out with amiibos. I was TTing villagers out all day the "fast way" but I still only managed to get three done in a day.

I recommend using the method posted in this thread to TT villagers out, if you aren't already. Also, a tip if you're doing the method in that thread: if you TT a day and you see no one with the thought bubble, close the game and start the same day again! The villager that is supposed to have the thought bubble stays the same on the same day, so restarting the day may have them outside instead of inside.

For example: I'm trying to get rid of Chadder. I start up my game and notice Chadder is in his house. I also see no one with the thought bubble outside, even though there should be someone moving (There should be someone moving if it is not Saturday/an event and if on the previous day I had Tom Nook "reset" who is trying to leave with the moving island home trick). This is a day Chadder may be the one with the thought bubble, but since he's inside, you can't get him to move. Close the game without saving, and start the day again. I'm pretty sure Isabelle will give her morning announcements again. When the day is started, look around for the thought bubble - there's a good chance it's someone who was in a house, such as Chadder! If it's not who you want, close the game and TT one day forward. Rinse, repeat. ^^

Thanks for this info! I have not had a chance to search for the villager thought bubble mechanics myself as literally only 1 has asked me and that was 2 weeks ago! This is good to keep in mind if I ever start TTing to cycle out villagers, thanks!

Oh that is super helpful to know about getting villagers to go outside! I will try that.

Back