• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Halloween or Christmas?

Which holiday do you like better?

• Total voters
There are so many exciting things about Halloween (like costumes, candy, and fall treats) but I think I'm more of a winter person (hot chocolate, roasted chestnuts, snuggly pajamas). I also love getting and giving presents so I'll put my vote in for Christmas!

I love them both, to be honest. But Halloween is more fun for me. With Christmas:

1) You have to see family you may not want to see or are too far away from to see without a costly, time-consuming journey
2) You feel obliged to go through the agonizing process of trying to figure out what to give people that they'll actually want and need, and then possibly spend too much money on those things out of guilt or social pressure to do so; until you get all the required gifts it looms over you
3) the stress of opening gifts, because it might be something you don't want or need but you don't want to make anyone feel bad so you have to pretend that it's perfect
4) assuming you have all of the three things I already mentioned, you're luckier than most, but many people don't and that makes it hard for them for that reason; it's a depressing time for so many people, in spite of the hope for it not to be.

Whereas with Halloween, there isn't really all this emotional pressure associated with it. It's more of a playful holiday in spite of it being about monsters and ghouls. It's just more laid back and fun.

I have not related to a post harder in my life omg

Also as a wanna-be cosplayer with no friends, its almost the only time i can dress up with other people(family) and not get bad weird looks. just moderately weird looks instead

Halloween without a doubt. I love the vibe, the colors, and the decorations. I stopped trick or treating at age 15, but I still loved decorating, watching horror movies, giving out candy and complimenting costumes. Overall it's a holiday that brings me a lot of joy.

Christmas on the other hand stopped being a favorite when I got old enough to realize Santa and Rodolph weren't real hahaha. It's become a time of year where seasonal depression hits the hardest for me. Never really look forward to any of it except for some of the movies and being able to drink hot coco more frequently. It also gives me the perfect excuse to be wrapped in 5 layers of blankets without being called a slob which is nice.

Halloween is my favorite holiday. I like horror movies and decorations, candies and snacks, costumes and all!
I used to hate Christmas, but I might like it better this year.

Christmas– no contest! My bias is probably from the childhood memories I have of both holidays. While trick-or-treating for Halloween was fun, dealing with costumes and general prep was so stressful! I also don't like the whole 'spoopy szn' buildup and find myself annoyed, waiting for it to end. The only thing I do enjoy is dressing cute and partying now that I'm older. For as long as I can remember, Christmas has been my all-time favorite holiday! I love giving/receiving gifts from those close to me and seeing snow pile up outside while I sit by my fireplace with hot chocolate. It's such a cozy, happy time. I'm hyped ngl!! 💗🎄

Christmas for me. Before covid i try to always make a trip to Europe for their christmas markets when finances allow. European christmas markets are wonderful and I'd always take home souvenir mugs from the drink vendors. Aside from christmas markets, I love eggnog!

Last edited:
Christmas is my favorite holiday! It’s so chill and cozy. My family never does anything for Christmas, and we don’t really have anyone to visit/have over, so I’m never stressed with all that drama during the holidays. Of course, that always makes Christmas kind of depressing for me— we don’t get together with family and I live in an area that doesn’t get snowy or even cold, so it kind of feels like any other day. But I love the aesthetic of Christmas, and all the old music, and I really love putting together gifts for my brother. It’s such a fun, homey holiday, I can’t wait until I have a family of my own to celebrate with!

christmas!! excluding the terrible family reunions, christmas has become my favorite holiday. halloween is fun, but christmas has that cozy feeling i'm in love with. hot chocolate, cute elves and so much more.. what's not to love? not to mention, those little debbie christmas tree cakes hit different those times of year.

I used to work in retail, so Christmas started on Nov 1st and it was hell until Janv 6th. Every day we had the same Christmas songs playing in loop over and over until we lost our mind, people playing non stop with those Christmas toys that sing and dance, stuff smelling like cinnamon and fir that gave nausea after a while, snotty sticky crying kids every day, Karen moms on fire every day, stressed out people throwing tantrums when not literally throwing things as us every day, it was so unpleasant and stressful that my co-workers and I, occasionally escaped during breaks to the bar next by and had a few drinks. In another mall I worked they had a roller coaster inside, so we escaped there instead, we were buying like a 10 rides ticket and stayed in the cart the whole break complaining about the job and customers.😅

Really, I don't have many good memories about Christmas, it looks cool in movies and pictures but I spent many of them in hospital because my relatives like getting sick or have accidents in that time. When I was little I had to take care of my younger cousins, then family drama and so on. The funniest thing about Christmas is the Christmas activities on the forum here. I hope there will still be some this year 🥺

Last edited:
Halloween and Christmas are my two favorite days of the year, and it's really close, but Halloween wins out for me.

For as long as I can remember, I've always been interested in scary stories, horror movies, and spookiness in general, so it's no surprise that Halloween would appeal to me. I was also born in November and Autumn is my favorite season, so there's a certain homey quality to this time of year. While others dislike Autumn and find it to be depressing because "everything's dying", I revel in the agreeable temperatures and the vibrant colors and scenery. I love walking through the fallen leaves scattered around, and one of my favorite things is a nice stroll amidst the fallen leaves on a foggy morning. There's also just something great about a sunset in October. Nature in Autumn just fills me with a joie de vivre that no other season can hope to match.

Halloween for me is more than just the 31st of October, I celebrate it for the entire month. I make pumpkin baked goods for my own enjoyment and to share with family and, while I don't drink coffee that often, I indulge in pumpkin spice lattes as a nice treat too. I like going out and searching for nice pumpkins to carve for jack-o-lanterns and then ultimately carving said jack-o-lanterns. I watch horror movies throughout the whole month, and of course pass out candy to the trick-or-treaters on Halloween night to help keep the spirit of the season alive. I also decorate and try to set up little scenes when I can. Admittedly haven't done the whole costume thing since I was younger, but honestly feel the compulsion every year and probably would have this year if it weren't for the pandemic. I'm thinking I'll definitely want to do so next year though, I probably ought to decide what to be far in advance.

I try to find time for spooky books and video games too, but they've ended up being lower priority in recent years.

As for Christmas, I love it and the time of year surrounding it. I enjoy picking out the right gifts for my loved ones and seeing their reactions (or hearing about it if they're long distance) after they open them. I bake cookies for three different families at this point, which is a lot of work but is worth it to me because it makes everyone happy. I enjoy listening to Christmas music throughout the month and I like decorating the Christmas tree, and sitting in the glow of the Christmas tree lights can be pretty nice as well. It's also right before New Year's, which for whatever reason is another holiday I've found myself enjoying throughout my life.

What ultimately pushes Halloween slightly past Christmas for me is that it's a bit more leisurely. There's more planning, preparation, work and stress involved with Christmas, and while it's all a labor of love and a wonderful feeling once everything's done and it's finally Christmas Day, Halloween is comparatively more laid back and relaxing.

Last edited:
I'm definitely on the Christmas side. While I like the pumpkins and the idea of dressing up and all of that, I really do not like all of the creepy decorations and all of that disturbing stuff. Christmas is beautiful trees, colorful strings of lights, candy canes. So much better.

I love Halloween aesthetics as an adult, but as a kid my family never really celebrated Halloween, I did go trick or treating a few times, but I always felt that it was daunting and I didn't really enjoy it as much as I thought I would. My fondest memories of Halloween as a kid are the movies and that's it.... because of that I have to pick Christmas/"the Holidays".

1) To me Christmas means family time. Even if I don't talk or socialize with a lot of my family members that often, I've learned to appreciate the time I have with them because life is short, it is extremely short and you never know what might happen so I just learned to appreciate the little things and Christmas allows for some family time, even if it's just one day.

2) I love Christmas/Holiday music. I'm not super religious, but "We Three Kings of Orient are" is my jam not trying to be disrespectful, I just really like that song.

3) The food. Let's not forget the food. Yes, you can get away with a lot of vegan/vegeterian dishes and sides.

4) As far as gifts go, there's always ways to keep thing budget friendly for everyone. Like secret Santa and an agreed upon budget

I have a newfound respect for Halloween. But I think it's mostly because of the red, yellow, orange, and brown leaves. It's a time to start dressing cozy and stuff. Christmas is great, I suppose. I have fond memories from when I was a kid, but I don't know if I like it more than Halloween.

I don't like either, but I'll have to go with Halloween. I really like watching scary movies on the night of October 31st, in my own home....

scaring myself to oblivion..

Christmas has always been my favorite holiday and its a time of reflection of what has gone on this year and looking forward to a new year.

Back