• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

Handwritten or typed?

Handwritten or typed?

• Handwritten!

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • Typed!

Votes: 30 42.3%
  • I prefer both!

Votes: 23 32.4%

• Total voters
It is sad about schools, where I am they stopped teaching kids how to write cursive all together, which was required when I was around 2nd/3rd grade That made me very sad, as well as when working as student teacher in college during Masters having to read and edit undergrad essays and seeing that they are coming in with no sense of formal essay structure knowledge that should be taught at high school level or before...

Also heard that kids are required to have iPads/other expensive tech devices as class requirements now, at young ages. I am sorry but I do not think a seven or eight year old needs their parents to buy them an iPad for school. Just my opinion.

I chose both because they are different applications for different things. I obviously prefer typing things on my computer on the forums because it is easier and you have to get into pictures for handwritten things and it just gets kinda messy. And when you have to type up a lot of words quickly for a school assignment (how I hated last minute papers).

But I am one of those people who writes stories for myself and keep journals. Handwriting is a good way to keep my cursive up to date and improve on it. I write with fountain pens because they are easier on my hands and you can have one or two pens and several different colors of ink. I mean, I'm not limited to black or blue in my fountain pens and liquid ink doesn't smear everywhere like gel pens do. And if I work in an environment where I need black or blue then I have my choice of different black and blues ranging from the blackest black to a purple tinged black to a green tinged black....you get the idea. And that is just in my choice of blacks!

Not to mention the pens themselves are beautiful and if you get into the vintage pens then there are several interesting filling mechanisms that you can get and play with. Yes, you have to refill the pens and if you aren't used to it there is a chance to get ink everywhere. But you will learn how to be careful and actually take care of your things. But then again, I was like that ever since my grandmother got me a fancy ballpoint and mechanical pencil for my birthday when I was young. I had that set from the third grade up until my sophomore year of high school where I lost things due to a move we made.

It is sad about schools, where I am they stopped teaching kids how to write cursive all together, which was required when I was around 2nd/3rd grade

That's surprising to hear that someone feels that way. I always thought that cursive was useless and I only use it to write my signature and I guess I thought everyone else thought so too since they've stopped teaching it here as well

That's surprising to hear that someone feels that way. I always thought that cursive was useless and I only use it to write my signature and I guess I thought everyone else thought so too since they've stopped teaching it here as well

whaaat? why would it be useless, they can't stop teaching it!

depends.
typed for sure if it's for school or business, but handwriting letters or cards is lovely.

- - - Post Merge - - -

i also have my own writing style as i feel most do, i was taught cursive in 2nd and 3rd grade but i really don't use it!

It is sad about schools, where I am they stopped teaching kids how to write cursive all together, which was required when I was around 2nd/3rd grade That made me very sad, as well as when working as student teacher in college during Masters having to read and edit undergrad essays and seeing that they are coming in with no sense of formal essay structure knowledge that should be taught at high school level or before...

Also heard that kids are required to have iPads/other expensive tech devices as class requirements now, at young ages. I am sorry but I do not think a seven or eight year old needs their parents to buy them an iPad for school. Just my opinion.
I always laugh at this because teachers have been complaining about technological changes since the dawn of time. They complained when we move to slates. They will always complain. But it doesn't change the fact that times are changing and modern technology is a necessary part of life. Regardless of preference there is a need for children to be able to effectively use tablets, and they should be comfortable using technology to aid them from a young age.

I'm a quick at typing and my writing is cursive and hard to read so I type.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I'm sure that the iPads are provided by the schools - well they are here.

I had to learn how to write cursive and I like it but it makes me write reaaaallly slow. But it feels too weird doing it any other way.

I'm left handed and my handwriting sucks majorly. I hate it. I'd much rather type something, especially since I can type really fast and my hand doesn't start cramping like it does after writing for a while. I can't write in cursive AT ALL, we were learning it around second grade but stopped after that altogether.

I'm left handed and my handwriting sucks majorly.

I'm left-handed too! Another reason why writing sucks for me: I get ink/graphite all over the side of my hand and it's really hard to write in notebooks or binders :(

Last edited:
I always laugh at this because teachers have been complaining about technological changes since the dawn of time. They complained when we move to slates. They will always complain. But it doesn't change the fact that times are changing and modern technology is a necessary part of life. Regardless of preference there is a need for children to be able to effectively use tablets, and they should be comfortable using technology to aid them from a young age.

While I agree that children should be able to use technology easily and the best way to learn it is to give it to them, I still get weirded out when I see my little two year old niece playing with her grandma's tablet. To me, that is just too young to be fiddling with electronics, but maybe I'll feel different about that when I have a kid (which I'm not expecting anytime soon).

Besides, there are lots of studies out there with handwriting helping the learning process. Personally, I think they should teach cursive to help with motor skills and teach kids on how to take good notes in class and have them type it up on a provided computer/tablet with keyboard for homework with around 5-8 practice problems with whatever they were learning about. But that would be if we lived in an ideal world and everything that they needed was provided to them through the school and the parents wouldn't have to pay for tablets or computers that would be required for school out of pocket.

While I agree that children should be able to use technology easily and the best way to learn it is to give it to them, I still get weirded out when I see my little two year old niece playing with her grandma's tablet. To me, that is just too young to be fiddling with electronics, but maybe I'll feel different about that when I have a kid (which I'm not expecting anytime soon).

Besides, there are lots of studies out there with handwriting helping the learning process. Personally, I think they should teach cursive to help with motor skills and teach kids on how to take good notes in class and have them type it up on a provided computer/tablet with keyboard for homework with around 5-8 practice problems with whatever they were learning about. But that would be if we lived in an ideal world and everything that they needed was provided to them through the school and the parents wouldn't have to pay for tablets or computers that would be required for school out of pocket.
How is anyone ever too young for electronics? There's no age limit on them or minimum age required. It's really old fashioned and just weird to think that people should do something else. And tablet can be a great learning tool for younger kids. A lot of kids learn to read because it helps them better use their tablets, and there are so many educational games. I'd definitely get my kid a table.

Schools do provide the electronics. It's pretty standard. But schools are locally funded based on real estate taxes. If a school makes students provide it that's because they don't get enough from taxes. You also have to keep in mind schools are only allotted so much money per student and there's a cap on students per class. If a class is only allotted 25 students but has 32 those 7 extra students are extra money not covered. That's not the school's fault, that's going to state and local government.

For me, I think it really depends on the situation. If I'm taking notes in class, I'll prefer typed because I can get more of what my professors are saying because I can type faster than I can write. The exception to that would be a math class, where I'd have to draw lots of figures and use lots of symbols that I don't know how to enter onto a keyboard. If it's someone's birthday though, I would prefer to handmake/handwrite a card for them because it's more personal that way. Granted if it's someone who lives far away from me or someone I don't know that well, I'll just write on their Facebook wall, but I love hand writing things for family and close friends. I myself prefer handwritten cards over emails, texts, or Facebook posts any day!

If it's an informal letter, then I prefer to write it by hand because it seems more personal. I prefer typing up work and stuff since I can have Facebook and other things in the background to keep me happy (although maybe I shouldn't because there's too many distractions).

totally depends what it is for.

i'm a writer, so if i'm working on something short story-length or longer, it's going to have to be typed. otherwise i won't be able to keep up with my thoughts and editing and rewriting.

if i'm writing some sort of shorter prose or prompt piece, or a letter to a penpal (hit me up! i always love new penpals) then it's definitely going to be handwritten

I'm left-handed too! Another reason why writing sucks for me: I get ink/graphite all over the side of my hand and it's really hard to write in notebooks or binders :(

Left handed buddies! :cool:

Ugh, happens to me all the time. I can't write in binders at all, I have to take the paper out and then put it back in once I'm finished.

Last edited:
Unless it's for notes in class, or if I'm just making a list for myself, I much prefer typing. I write stories, and I type a lot, so my typing is so much faster. Writing gets annoying because it's just not fast enough for me.

Back