Harry Potter

Bulerias said:
Bacon Boy said:
Bulerias said:
Bacon Boy said:
No, but these things might encourage someone to ant to learn how to actually practice it. At first it might seem like just a fan base, but it's cultish. It is not simple, but someone young can be influenced easily by things like this, then later on, might want to try ACTUAL witchcraft.
OK, by that logic, all negativity in media should be banned, because it might encourage someone to practice it. Violence in films/cartoons? Ban it, because it might encourage someone to commit crimes. Sexuality in the media? Ban it, because it could increase teen pregnancy rates.

...I can go on, of course. It's called censorship, something I am very against. The Harry Potter fanbase does not differ from Lord of the Rings, Chronicles of Narnia, etc. Sure, its fans may be a little more... zealous, but that doesn't make them evil.

Kids who are encouraged by Harry Potter to practice real witchcraft have no idea what real witchcraft is.
exactly and they should not be introduced to the idea. Movies like Chronicles of Narnia have always been about magic/witches being evil. And shows that base everything on sex are supposed to be censored by kids' parents. Kids shouldn't be introduced to ideas like these. Kids know that cartoons with violence isn't real because they could never do any of those things and they pretend. Didn't you ever pretend to be a superhero or someone with powers when you were young? That was based around moral values while Harry Potter is based around witchcraft.
Oh, OK. Let's hide our children from evil and have them live in a holy bubble. I'm not saying we should expose children to evil, but they should be aware of its existence. But that's not the point -- Harry Potter does not encourage witchcraft.

Anyone who supposes that all witchcraft is evil is sorely mistaken. How about the concept of "white witches"? Or, do you suppose that all "magicians" in novels and stories are evil? So I guess the Good Witch of the North from The Wizard of Oz is evil, too.

Harry Potter is also based on morals. Maybe if you -- or a good part of the religious community -- actually read the books, they'd see that it's not encouraging witchcraft.
They go to a school for witchcraft. How is that not encouraging it?

And I do believe white magic is part of the reason why Christians dislike it. White magic is using magic for your own gain. And witchcraft is demonic according to the Bible. I've seen demon posessed people in real life and I never want to see one again. >.<

Bulerias said:
Bacon Boy said:
Koehler said:
The magic in Narnia and LOTR is used for different purposes than the HP series.
that is so true.
Again, have you actually read the books? There is good magic and evil magic in them... the fact that the main characters struggle regarding what magic to use shows their human side. The characters in Chronicles of Narnia are unrealistic. Some are pure good, some are pure evil. That never happens in real life.
Edmund struggles with getting what he desires even if it means hurting his family.
Eustace is very mean to everyone and he has to battle that.

Bulerias said:
Bacon Boy said:
Bulerias said:
Bacon Boy said:
No, but these things might encourage someone to ant to learn how to actually practice it. At first it might seem like just a fan base, but it's cultish. It is not simple, but someone young can be influenced easily by things like this, then later on, might want to try ACTUAL witchcraft.
OK, by that logic, all negativity in media should be banned, because it might encourage someone to practice it. Violence in films/cartoons? Ban it, because it might encourage someone to commit crimes. Sexuality in the media? Ban it, because it could increase teen pregnancy rates.

...I can go on, of course. It's called censorship, something I am very against. The Harry Potter fanbase does not differ from Lord of the Rings, Chronicles of Narnia, etc. Sure, its fans may be a little more... zealous, but that doesn't make them evil.

Kids who are encouraged by Harry Potter to practice real witchcraft have no idea what real witchcraft is.
exactly and they should not be introduced to the idea. Movies like Chronicles of Narnia have always been about magic/witches being evil. And shows that base everything on sex are supposed to be censored by kids' parents. Kids shouldn't be introduced to ideas like these. Kids know that cartoons with violence isn't real because they could never do any of those things and they pretend. Didn't you ever pretend to be a superhero or someone with powers when you were young? That was based around moral values while Harry Potter is based around witchcraft.
Oh, OK. Let's hide our children from evil and have them live in a holy bubble. I'm not saying we should expose children to evil, but they should be aware of its existence. But that's not the point -- Harry Potter does not encourage witchcraft.

Anyone who supposes that all witchcraft is evil is sorely mistaken. How about the concept of "white witches"? Or, do you suppose that all "magicians" in novels and stories are evil? So I guess the Good Witch of the North from The Wizard of Oz is evil, too.

Harry Potter is also based on morals. Maybe if you -- or a good part of the religious community -- actually read the books, they'd see that it's not encouraging witchcraft.
read some of the books and the seen some of the movies. I'm not saying lock kids up from all evil. you're right, Like in Showdown the kids need to be aware of evil, but they need not dwell in it. Kids should be able to tell the difference from good and evil. And like Koehler said, in Narnia/LOTR and even The Wizard of Oz, the magic is used in a different purpose. And Harry Potter does encourage witchcraft. How? By making it seem cool and awesome and wonderful. It makes it sound like a whole new world to explore and try because the decade's latest hero uses it. And FYI the it wasn't a witch in wizard of Oz, it was a fairy. The GOOD Fairy. And in every story that I've read, with the exception of Harry Potter, the witches are evil beings.

Koehler said:
Bulerias said:
Bacon Boy said:
Bulerias said:
Bacon Boy said:

They go to a school for witchcraft. How is that not encouraging it?

And I do believe white magic is part of the reason why Christians dislike it. White magic is using magic for your own gain. And witchcraft is demonic according to the Bible. I've seen demon posessed people in real life and I never want to see one again. >.<
and Bul. I know that these things are real because I know Satan's real. Like Koehler, I've seen something similar. Only worse. But that was once, and I'm sorry that Koehler and I had to go through something like that.

Witches are some of the nicest people I've met, I have you know.

And anyway Chameleon, thanks for the Harry Potter Border's description.

I don't see how a book can encourage people to do something that doesn't exist.

It's just a book. Fiction. Not real.

ZELDAFREAK104 said:

Oshi-

You mean this Hogwarts letter I got 6 years ago was a fake???!??!

D::::::

ZELDAFREAK104 said:

you do realize witchcraft is real. It's not fake. It's black magic, evil, etc.

Bacon Boy said:
ZELDAFREAK104 said:

Then just throw some Holy Water at it and be done with it already, sheesh.

Bacon Boy said:
ZELDAFREAK104 said:

Proof please, I'll believe it when I see proof.

dragonflamez said:
Bacon Boy said:
ZELDAFREAK104 said:

Witchcraft is 100% real. (with help from demons) You think real witches just dress up and parade around casting pretend spells to scare people? Many tribes in Africa have Witch Doctors who have entire civilizations gripped in fear. The spells they cast are real and have real effects on real people. Witchcraft is not a game. It has extremely serious and dangerous effects.

Koehler said:
dragonflamez said:
Bacon Boy said:
ZELDAFREAK104 said:

Witchcraft is 100% real. (with help from demons) You think real witches just dress up and parade around casting pretend spells to scare people? Many tribes in Africa have Witch Doctors who have entire civilizations gripped in fear. The spells they cast are real and have real effects on real people. Witchcraft is not a game. It has extremely serious and dangerous effects.
Sorry, but your post made me laugh a bit.

ZELDAFREAK104 said:
Koehler said:
dragonflamez said:
Bacon Boy said:
ZELDAFREAK104 said:

Same :p I giggled at the "serious and dangerous effects."

ZELDAFREAK104 said:
Koehler said:
dragonflamez said:
Bacon Boy said:
ZELDAFREAK104 said:

Meh, I don't care if you laugh. I know Bacon and I aren't the most popular members at TBT because of our religious views.

http://www.christianinformation.org/article.asp?artID=98

Witches believe they can do whatever they want as long as they don't harm anyone. WHATEVER THEY WANT.

"I was eager to get to Hogwarts first because I like what they learned there and I want to be a witch." Gioia Bishop, age 10.[1]

"I like the third book because here [Harry] meets his godfather and Professor Lupin, a really cool guy [This really "cool guy" is a werewolf as well as wizard, and Harry's godfather is a "shape shifter" who turns himself into a scary black dog]...." Harry Libarle, age 7

These arequotes from real children who have read the HP series.

Back