• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

How long did it take you to learn how to drive?

Got my learners at 18, license at 19.

Driving is one of my favorite things to do now. :)

It took me about 2 years to get my license. And honestly I?m still learning after I got my license, mainly how to deal with busier traffic since I live in a pretty crowded area

Currently learning, since I'm out of education for the first time in my life and actually earning money to put towards it :lemon:.

I've been taking one lesson a week for 3/4 months now? With some gaps in between.. Had to wait a while just to get a slot to take my written test, but my instructor thinks I should take my practical test as soon as I pass it. I'm really enjoying it so far,

I'm almost 19 and I can't drive :(
I get way too much anxiety about driving that I just freak out and don't wanna move the car ahahaha. I've been trying more and more and making some progress. But I feel like it's gonna be a while until I can drive.

I started learning when I was 17 because my parents made me wait til my older brother got his license before they'd teach me :rolleyes:

and then once I turned 18, I failed my test once due to parallel parking mostly, then about a month later I took it again and got almost perfect

not that long. i started driving when i was 15 and was comfortable on my own the day i got my license at 16.

I think I took driver's ed in junior or senior year and I didn't get my license until after I graduated. I didnt like driving and the teacher was a jerk so he didnt make it easier.

Really, as scary as it sounds, I learned mostly how to drive efficiently after getting my license and doing it everyday without someone lecturing me in the passenger seat all the time.

ahahahahahahaha...I'm 29 and still can't drive due to high anxiety and stress :'D just being behind the wheel gives me a panic attack

I'm so pathetic

Last edited:
I got my learners when I was 20 (lmao), 4 years later than everyone else. I spent about a year in total on my learners, then took my restricted (practical) test last December and have been driving by myself for almost half a year now.

I could've got my restricted 6 months after getting my learners (like you legally can here), but I wasn't feeling quite ready as I didn't have any professional lessons at that point. I did a lot of driving practice though. I initially started out in an abandoned suburb where there's no cars or traffic whatsoever to practice starting off, braking, changing gear and turning. I think turning was probably one of the things I was bad at, but it comes with practice. Eventually I started driving on busier roads, like around my suburb (which was scary because the roads are narrow and there's cars everywhere!) and eventually in the city centre. I did like an hour of driving everyday for a long time though. Just going out at night with my parent(s) where there's less traffic to get the hang of things.

Leading up to getting my restricted I had a few professional lessons, which was probably the most worthwhile money I've ever spent. I was pretty much at the level of being able to sit the test, but my instructor just gave me a few tips that my parents didn't think of and got me out of some bad habits. I'd definitely recommend some lessons, only once you've got a decent amount of experience though. I wouldn't go head first into lessons unless you're confident, or know that you've got a good instructor.

As someone who gets stressed and anxious very easily, and used to have reoccuring nightmares of losing control of a vehicle and crashing throughout my childhood, I can say that it's possible for anyone to do it :) For a long time there I didn't think I'd ever make it, but it's so rewarding and such an accomplishment once you get your license! Don't let your worries get the better of you :)

So far I've been doing driving lessons for about a year. To be fair I am on a break right now due to mental issues impacting my driving but still it counts I guess. I am hoping to continue and also finish next month, I was almost ready for my exam when we decided to take a break.

Last edited:
I'm 17 and I have to get my driver's license THIS summer ..
I hate driving, but I feel like that fear is only deeprooted due to me being involved in an accident.

But not only that, I don't know how to turn a car properly lmao. Everytime I turn i just pray the passenger and I don't die

It took me awhile, probably until I was 23. I had some unpaid truancy ticket (that I didnt even know I had) that prevented me on getting a permit to drive before my getting my license. It was a pain but I was able to clear that up. Just learn with a friend or family member that has a license, and get your permit to avoid the cops pulling you over and asking for a permit or license.

..i still dont know how to drive! ill probably learn within the next year but for now im still licenseless

Here we have what you could basically think of as a learner's permit, an intermediate lisence and a full lisence. I got my learner's 4 years ago and my intermediate 3 years ago. Still trying for my final one, I failed the first time and then I broke my ankle and couldn't drive for awhile. But I'm taking the test again in August.

i should be starting soon, hopefully it wont take me too long. i get disorientated easily so i might struggle a bit but who knows

Last edited:
Driving terrifies me. I'm 17 and there isn't a moment I don't feel like a tool for not learning early, though. I thought it would be cute to leech off of my friends for rides the rest of high school but I was so dumb. Everyone got their drivers permit with the drivers ed class within their sophomore and junior year at my school. I almost did too because a guy I liked was in it, but i got over him before I could sign up sadly. My sister's license expired recently, being in the city she uses public transit to get to work. But because she's moving back to the country, where I live, shes going to retake the test and help me study for getting my license! If that backfires, I also sent a bunch of emails to my school about taking drivers ed senior year, which will be embarrassing but I'd rather take the class and not get killed on the road than not take the class and get killed because I didn't study certain things.

I got my G1 on my 16th birthday in December 2011, G2 in July 2013, and then full G in November 2014 I think.

i'm still learning because i just turned 16 a few months ago
i'm taking it really slow so far because im actually rlly scared to drive but.. i'm sure ill get it. some day. hopefully

I know how to drive, I'm a pretty could driver, I know how to drive a motorcycle too.
legally, is another thing, I'm Working on it, my dmv goes out of their way to make sure everything is as difficult and red taped as possible.

I'm 17 and there isn't a moment I don't feel like a tool for not learning early, though. I thought it would be cute to leech off of my friends for rides the rest of high school but I was so dumb. Everyone got their drivers permit ... within their sophomore and junior year at my school.
This was me until...well, 6 months ago when I got my restricted lol. I regret not learning earlier so much once I figured out that driving isn't as hard as I thought. I live in a city but our public transport is the least efficient thing ever, so everyone went for their licenses ASAP apart from me.

Back