• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Is anyone else having no luck catching sharks?

Isabella

Electra Heart
Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
Winter Mittens
Happy Home Designer Token
Popsicle (TBT Beach Party)
Ice Cream Swirl (TBT Beach Party)
Peach (Fruit)
April Birthstone (Diamond)
Togepi Easter Egg
January Birthstone (Garnet)
Blue Feather
う
I've only caught one hammerhead shark. It seems like I just happen to have terrible luck at fishing. D:
I see a lot of sharks (fins) in my town and when I try to catch it the shark (or sunfish) gets all sassy and swims away after taking only one bite. I see a shark at a friends town and we're both trying to catch it..of course the shark doesn't pick me. -_- And it's happened multiple times too. All I ever catch are the Sea Bass and Zebra Turkeyfish.. I'm pretty sure my game is cursed.

Is this happening to any of you?

I had bad luck with sharks at the start but it sort of leveled off and now I usually catch them pretty easily.

It helped me to look away after the fish started biting. I had a tendency to press the button before the right time when I was anticipating the bite. Now I shut my eyes and wait for the bite down sound. xD This has worked really, really well for me, surprisingly!

I've caught probably about 30 sharks, of all different types, and I've only lost one.. I have them turn their noses at me all the time, and some of them are really tricky because they apparently can only see directly in front of them, but I've had lots of luck with catching them. Maybe fung shei has something to do with it? I don't know, I just seem to see lots of sharks and catch them. The island is also a good spot for them, but I feel a bit like it's cheating to go there and get 300k bells worth of sharks in a half hour lol.

Edit: Berri, I do that exact same thing haha! I think always psyche myself out when I look at it, so I hold my breath and close my eyes. It's worked every time haha.

I had bad luck with sharks at the start but it sort of leveled off and now I usually catch them pretty easily.

It helped me to look away after the fish started biting. I had a tendency to press the button before the right time when I was anticipating the bite. Now I shut my eyes and wait for the bite down sound. xD This has worked really, really well for me, surprisingly!
Yeah, I usually tend to listen to it as well. But for some reason it's like the shark isn't interested in my rod at all D:

I've caught probably about 30 sharks, of all different types, and I've only lost one.. I have them turn their noses at me all the time, and some of them are really tricky because they apparently can only see directly in front of them, but I've had lots of luck with catching them. Maybe fung shei has something to do with it? I don't know, I just seem to see lots of sharks and catch them. The island is also a good spot for them, but I feel a bit like it's cheating to go there and get 300k bells worth of sharks in a half hour lol.

Edit: Berri, I do that exact same thing haha! I think always psyche myself out when I look at it, so I hold my breath and close my eyes. It's worked every time haha.

You're pretty lucky then. I've had the game since release day and it's kind of weird saying that I only have caught one shark since then..everyone else catches them so easily. :( Interesting, it might be the feng shui.. well I did attempt to decorate my house in that order and I have a fairly high amount of points from the HRA. Lol, if it were me and I had the luck to get sharks at the island I would..and I wouldn't even consider it cheating xD I have been having decent luck with catching the rare beetles though :D

I haven't played too much since I got it but on my second day I caught several sharks. They are more abundant as well it seems. I caught one, walked down the beach and caught another one. Only 3 types though, multiples of those. I thought it was waaaaaaaay easier than WW. I had Katrina in my town second day...maybe my fortune was good luck for a while? I don't know. I also caught a bee my 1st day which took me FOREVER on WW. Also caught a tarantula my 2nd night.

I haven't managed to catch one yet, but whenever I see one I keep trying. My luck is mostly with bugs and diving right now.

I'm having trouble as well.. I swear I'm not pressing A too early, I know when the darn things bite down, I catch fish no problem. Curious though, isn't it a little weird we will be stuck with the worst fishing rod on the island forever?

They hardly even show up in my town or island. Is there a certain time that they show up the most? I'm guessing evening/night?
Heck, I'm actually tempted to reset my game for multiple reasons, including having terrible luck with fishing lol.

I was going to re set mine but I've got 23 fish in my museum haha there's nothing to do on your first day

I play with the sound off. Ha ha. Catching Sharks: Hard Mode. I try to tap into my esper powers and anticipate when the shark is going to bite. I get maybe just under 50% of the sharks that I see. I am, however, pretty good at getting Sunfish since they dart away just a tad more slowly than the sharks.

Im having terrible luck with ocean fish but I'm getting all kinds of rare river fish. :3 IDK....

I caught all sharks! all you need to do is go to the island after 7pm there should be lots of sharks and expensive beetles!

Yeah me too! And now I do the same thing. When i'm not looking at the shark I become less nervous and don't worry about trying not mess up.

They seem easier to catch than in previous games to me. Or maybe it's just because their more abundant that it seems this way. Either way, I don't have much problem catching them anymore. At first I got real jumpy because OHMYGO****'SASHARKCATCHIT. But now I'm pretty well trained and wait them out and then snatch them at the right moment! :p

Actually I found a neat way to catch them.

1. Locate the shark/Sunfish
2. Attempt to coarse it to bite.
3. Allow it to bite until the bobbing thing falls under.
4. Don't press 'A' until its under the water half-way.
5. Don't rapidly press 'A', it'll make it flee.

Then again, I went fishing as a young kid so...

Actually I found a neat way to catch them.

1. Locate the shark/Sunfish
2. Attempt to coarse it to bite.
3. Allow it to bite until the bobbing thing falls under.
4. Don't press 'A' until its under the water half-way.
5. Don't rapidly press 'A', it'll make it flee.

Then again, I went fishing as a young kid so...

I guess I'll try this if a shark/sunfish ever decides to show up lol

Sharks are really fast.Just listen to the plop when the bait goes down.When you do spam click that A button ASAP :D

I've been catching sharks like a fiend. I've caught a ton of dorado too. Fishings been going pretty well in my town. Bug catching on the other hand.....

Back