• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Is anyone else having no luck catching sharks?

Just listen to the plop when the bait goes down.

I turned the sound on and if you can attune yourself to that sound they make when they bite, you can smash that A button down really fast when you hear it and you should get it. I was using that trick on the island earlier today and I caught everything I tried for except for one fish and one shark. I got two whale sharks this way. o.o

Ladies & gents-

Sharks & larger fish are tricky because of their quick bite & their size; how sometimes their WHOLE body moves stiffly when they're homing in on your lure ball. Here are my tips for capturing these larger fish:

The sound effect cues SLIGHTLY before the dip of the lure. Make sure your arms, hands, & your trigger finger are comfortable. Raise the volume, & keep your eyes primarily on the lure, not the fish. It's just wallowing there so always prepare (don't rush) when you're about to reel in a shark or a snakehead!

Caught one on first try, lost the second. I find it best to not look anywhere near your screen while fishing and just listen for the "plop" when a fish bites down.

I had bad luck with sharks at the start but it sort of leveled off and now I usually catch them pretty easily.

It helped me to look away after the fish started biting. I had a tendency to press the button before the right time when I was anticipating the bite. Now I shut my eyes and wait for the bite down sound. xD This has worked really, really well for me, surprisingly!

This is what I do xD I wait for the sound to change.

I spent an hour Shark Fishing this evening. I saw 12 Sharks and caught 4 of them... They're tricky to get.
Sometimes they nibble once, other times they nibble three or four times :O

I was going to re set mine but I've got 23 fish in my museum haha there's nothing to do on your first day

Haha same. I've spent the whole day just fishing xD

Sharks are really fast.Just listen to the plop when the bait goes down.When you do spam click that A button ASAP :D

I just press "A" once :s
Is rapidly pressing it beneficial?

I've been catching sharks like a fiend. I've caught a ton of dorado too. Fishings been going pretty well in my town. Bug catching on the other hand.....
Maybe the thing about NL is that they made towns better at one thing like.. one town could be better at fishing and the other with bug catching. Haven't caught a dorado yet :/
Caught one on first try, lost the second. I find it best to not look anywhere near your screen while fishing and just listen for the "plop" when a fish bites down.
Yup a lot have told me that it's better to listen than watch..

I had trouble catching sharks at first too. I psych myself into thinking it's a sea bass in order to calm my trigger finger. Works great with river fish too (except arapaima XD I can never psych myself with it)

Ahhh guys my luck is turning around!!! I caught two sharks today :D
Whale Shark and Saw Shark. I was idle looking away from the ds screen and when I looked back, the shark was there. Maybe standing and fishing in one place causes the Shark to appear? :eek:

Edit: on a side note I just caught a Moray Eel which is pretty rare.

Practice makes perfect!

First two days in my town and every shark I came across got away. Today I caught 5 sharks.

The thing is with sharks you have to react slightly faster when the bob goes down than with other fish. To practice you should focus on trying to hit "a" a bit faster, even on common fish. Eventually you will have to stop focusing on reacting faster and it will simply happen naturally and then bam! you'll never miss a fish again! ;)

Also, it seems to me that sharks are much more easy to come by on the island. And another tip is go to your island at night, there are TONS of giant beetles that are worth a nice amount of bells.

Hoped this helped! Good luck! :)

Practice makes perfect!

First two days in my town and every shark I came across got away. Today I caught 5 sharks.

The thing is with sharks you have to react slightly faster when the bob goes down than with other fish. To practice you should focus on trying to hit "a" a bit faster, even on common fish. Eventually you will have to stop focusing on reacting faster and it will simply happen naturally and then bam! you'll never miss a fish again! ;)

Also, it seems to me that sharks are much more easy to come by on the island. And another tip is go to your island at night, there are TONS of giant beetles that are worth a nice amount of bells.

Hoped this helped! Good luck! :)
Lol, when I saw the sharks I actually pretty much just spammed the A button. I now have caught like 5 sharks today :')
Spent a long time on the island. I made about 100k bells from beetles and sharks ;D
Saw 3 sharks, got all of them.
Yay!!

I missed the first 6-7 sharks I saw. But now I have a new strategy. I find the graphics and size of the shark is extremely misleading when its biting. I close my eyes, and use only the audio to detect when I need to press A.

It helps immensely, and I've only missed one shark this way. I've yet to catch a shark with my eyes open!

I am not having trouble catching them. The main problem is trying to find them. D:

I was at the island this evening (well, I was there all day...er, but whatever!) and I found at least 5 sharks in 20 mins or so. Otherwise, I've found several on my town beaches around the afternoon/evening.

I've been shocked to see how easy fishing has been compared to WW. I already have sharks, a dorado, and probably whatever else is considered "rare". I've had my WW town for 4-5 years now and I still haven't completed my collection. I have a hard enough time finding "finned creatures", let alone catching any. I've completed over half of my NL collection in 3 DAYS. DAYS! Completing my fish/bug collections before my fossils? I don't know what I'll do with myself. o_O

Anyway, I already have all 4 sharks. I've missed several, but it definitely helps to listen. I make sure my volume is at max when I'm trying for a shark. It just takes practice. :) Maybe try closing your eyes like Sleepy said.

I missed the first 6-7 sharks I saw. But now I have a new strategy. I find the graphics and size of the shark is extremely misleading when its biting. I close my eyes, and use only the audio to detect when I need to press A.

It helps immensely, and I've only missed one shark this way. I've yet to catch a shark with my eyes open!

The trouble I have w/ this method is sometimes the toss is too accurate & the shark reaches the floaty ball quickly & then takes it on the 1st bite; by the time you look away/close your eyes- you may have missed it.

What I want is some low current electric netting DLC so I can jump in there & walk all the fish back to shore. (=

I just saw this thread a couple of hours ago and thought the same thing...until now when I've caught 3 sharks, 2 saw sharks, and a whale shark.

(And closing my eyes definitely helped. I even caught the coelacanth! Thanks, guys! :3)

I missed them nearly every time at first, but now I'm improving. :) I've managed to catch about 10 total now.

I think it's partly a glitch, perhaps? it happens to me too, but less often now... but it still happens. that or I have a slight trigger finger by a millisecond. c': hang in there! you'll catch them eventually.

I am not having trouble catching them. The main problem is trying to find them. D:
Exactly. D:
I was at the island this evening (well, I was there all day...er, but whatever!) and I found at least 5 sharks in 20 mins or so. Otherwise, I've found several on my town beaches around the afternoon/evening.

I've been shocked to see how easy fishing has been compared to WW. I already have sharks, a dorado, and probably whatever else is considered "rare". I've had my WW town for 4-5 years now and I still haven't completed my collection. I have a hard enough time finding "finned creatures", let alone catching any. I've completed over half of my NL collection in 3 DAYS. DAYS! Completing my fish/bug collections before my fossils? I don't know what I'll do with myself. o_O

Anyway, I already have all 4 sharks. I've missed several, but it definitely helps to listen. I make sure my volume is at max when I'm trying for a shark. It just takes practice. :) Maybe try closing your eyes like Sleepy said.
I don't even know what a dorado is lol, it seems way rare. I was NEVER close to completing my collection in WW, and this is me resetting the game like 5 times (once a year pretty much) I wouldn't want to complete the whole catching in just a short amount of time though..that'd be really boring Dx

I just saw this thread a couple of hours ago and thought the same thing...until now when I've caught 3 sharks, 2 saw sharks, and a whale shark.

(And closing my eyes definitely helped. I even caught the coelacanth! Thanks, guys! :3)
yes, my luck has been turning around as well :') best time is at night in the island. i have yet to encounter a coelacanth though.

I actually can't seem to stop running into rare fish. Caught two dorados on my first day, and I catch plenty of sharks when on the island. Iunno. Probably just some chance luck.

Back