• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Japanese/foreign systems accessing NA Events and DLC (vice versa)

kelleyko

Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
So, I have a Japanese 3DS LL coming in the mail along with Tobidase. I have no issues with the language, I just want to see if anyone here knows anything about accessing DLC in a foreign country, or attempting to download items from, say, Best Buy with a Japanese/EU/Korean 3DS. I tried Google-ing to see if the Pokemon community could offer any advice but I couldn't find much.

Japan currently has the Rainbow Screen as a DLC item, and Best Buy in America is about to have a Cat Tree (wtflol).

tl;dr: does anyone have experience using their 3DS in a foriegn country/foreign DS in their country? Can you get events/DLC?

I was never able to get English Pokemon events on my Japanese Pokemon games and I would think it would be the same for ACNL.

The rainbow screen is available here as well. Just head to the post office and ask for a gift (paraphrasing). Also, as far as I know, there are no region locked items, meaning that, once obtained, you can use content intended for other countries without issue- however, if you want to get a hold of JP content, you'll need to either a) play the JP version of the game, or b) visit someone who is playing the JP version and purchase/earn it there.

What she's asking is if she can download the NA DLC with a Japanese 3DS. The items aren't region locked and can be traded within different versions of the games, but the events themselves are region locked.

Last edited:
Oh, I see it now! And you stated it more clearly than I can at the moment, Mint. :D On the subject of the rainbow screen, I have one that I don't want. So if the OP wants one, PM me.

Thanks for your replies. I only brought up Japan having the Rainbow Screen ATM because some people were speculating that it would be a NA/EU exclusive item.

You'd think that Nintendo would stop being so stupid region lockings games and stuff... but region locking events even??? WTF. I'll have to search around on Google and see if there are any (for example) study abroads in Japan with American 3DS that can/cant get the 7-11 events. Or... I can just go to Best Buy and see if I can get the NA stuff with my JP one =v=;;
Nintendo needs to support internationalism XD!

Apparently if you change your router's SSID to Bestbuy, you can get the Best Buy items without leaving your home. This worked for many North Americans, but there were a few Europeans who tried it and mentioned that it didn't work for them. It's highly unlikely that the Japanese 3DS can get the NA DLC from Best Buy. :c

The thread is here: http://www.belltreeforums.com/showt...-Bestbuy-DLC-from-your-home&highlight=bestbuy

Valerie has a Japanese 3DS- she stated that this workaround wasn't successful in procuring the Bestbuy DLC. :'(

It's probably not going to be an issue. My roomates are getting ACNL for their NA 3DS so I can just trade items with them/buy from forums if I really feel like it. ( =v=)ノ*

Back