• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

Linandko's videos, contest idea

Hello everyone! As you may or may not know, I am Lindsey, or "Lin" of Linandko. I make movies with my boyfriend Kohei and we post them on youtube, the main ones now being: Animal Crossing New Leaf, Fantasy Life and just random videos for our Vblog.

Our ACNL videos got crazy attention that we never ever anticipated, and it has been sooo much fun. I love being able to answer questions and help people out, all while playing a game that is genuinely fun :)

Kohei and I have been talking and we want to do some sort of contest involving ACNL for when it is released in the US/EU etc. Since we are poor college students we are unable to do extravagant contests like buying people 3DS XLs etc, but we figured that doing something cool in game would be fun.

The idea, for now:

We would make a video right after the dates are announced for the US and EU release dates. We are thinking this will be somewhat soon, maybe in Feb, possibly March (just a hunch) so we still have a lot of time until this happens. In this video we would announce the contest and tell people what it would consist of, what we are thinking now is this:

• 2 US winners (US/Canada) and 2 EU winners (EU+rest of world) making for four winners total.
  • Each winner would get 250,000 bells, as well as a marine (diving) suit
  • They would also get to come to our town, and choose from some items in our "fortune cookie/rare item room" this includes stuff from the fortune cookies, 7-11 items, gold items, mermaid series, etc. All stuff that is a bit difficult to attain. Maybe they would get an item or two. We also are playing around with the idea of them being able to order like 5 things from our catalog, but we have no idea how attractive a prospect that'd be (we have a ton of items each, so it wouldn't be skimpy).
  • Each winner would get a video featuring us in their town, or vice versa (we'd work it out with them). It'd be just another video in our video series, and could be a lot of fun depending on what they want to do (island games, etc. are all possible).
  • A basket (nine fruit) of your choice.

Obviously still a work in progress, but we came up with more or less this^ when we talked about it yesterday. I also suggested giving the winners all silver tools but Kohei wondered if people would even want that. If anyone has ideas/suggestions we would love to hear them!!

So anyway, the announcement video would set up the contest. We'd let them know that we would post another video, about a month before the game would be released. In that video, we'd request that everyone write [us] or [eu] in a comment, and it would act as an entry. More than one would mean disqualification, and their youtube account must be more than a month old (to prevent people from making multiple ones to post entries), but aside from that, anyone that is planning to get the game is eligible. We would close the entries maybe a few days before the game was to be released. We'd then make a final video where we show us printing out the comments, checking to make sure nobody "cheated" (did it multiple times, etc) and then show us going to a random number generator website to pick the winner! :) After the four winners were chosen we would get in contact with them, and get their FCs and all of that.

So...this is what we have so far. I would love input for the prizes as well as what you guys think about the best way to go about this on youtube [is our current idea of having three videos good, or need work?: (1) announcement of contest, (2) actual contest entry video, and (3) showing the winners "live" (in a way) to show how we did it 100% randomly and fairly].

Thank you in advance for any ideas or suggestions you may come up with. I genuinely want to make a fun contest, and I figured a place where everyone loves this game as much as we do would be the best place to ask :D

Oh, you're Lindsey! Hello! I'm one of your subscribers! I like this contest idea, I'll be participating!

That sounds like a lot of fun! I've been watching your videos from the very beginning, occasionally commenting (I'm Woobieification over at YT, I dunno why I thought that UN was a good idea, but eh) and I'd love to enter it! :D Even if I don't win, I'd love to see the resulting videos! Great idea, Lin~ Hopefully we'll get a US date soon enough.

This sounds like a great idea. Would the town visit be through the Dream Mansion?

I love the Animal Crossing videos you and Kohei put on YouTube. I also liked the one that's the visit of a Japanese game shop.
We wouldn't do it through the Dream Mansion because you can't visit together, and we wouldn't be able to give out the prizes. It would be a direct visit, they would be added to our friends list and vice versa and would work out what date/time to do it over e-mail.

I think this is a great idea. The possibility of winning a 7-11 item sold me on the spot. Definitely change the Youtube account date though. If you don't want to do a specific date, you can always say "before January of 2013".
You both picked out a nice variety of prizes, but as Jake mentioned: I, personally, wouldn't be interested in the silver items. I'd like to earn those on my own. Different strokes for different folks though.
Would there be the possibility of a couple/all four meeting together to play a game on the island? If it can be worked out to everyone's schedule, of course.
As for the visit, I think it's best to let the winner decide. Some may want to show off their progress, while others would want to go to your town.
Good point, I think “Account older than 1/2013” is sufficient enough. Kohei was right on apperantly with the silver items not being a good choice :D Thank you for your input, you have a good point about people probably wanting to do it themselves.
I figured that the 7/11 would be popular because of how hard they are to get. We will offer them for sure, along with a bunch of other rare items :D

I figured that the 7/11 would be popular because of how hard they are to get. We will offer them for sure, along with a bunch of other rare items :D

Yeah, I think this is what will get most people's attention XD
I know getting the 7-11 Model is one of my big goals because I always like having a Model room and now I can even make a Museum exhibit for it so missing a model would drive me nuts @-@

I love your videos, and I like these ideas! Especially if I can get the marine suit early, because waiting to be able to swim will drive me nuts.

I agree with saying that we come to your town.
But its so nice of you to do a contest <3 And your videos are so kewl ^_^

I think you should go with that idea, but there's one thing that's bugging me a bit.

If a winner never contacted you to set time and dates after a certain "deadline", then how will you sort this problem out?

I think you should go with that idea, but there's one thing that's bugging me a bit.

If a winner never contacted you to set time and dates after a certain "deadline", then how will you sort this problem out?

That is easy enough, we'd just choose another winner!

I like the idea. I didn't know about your channel before but I'm really liking it. I'm watching your Fantasy Life stuff right now, as I'm pretty excited for that. haha

Thanks for all the input everyone! We are working out the details. I might even up the prize money to 500,000 bells per person :) Hopefully the game will be annouced sometime next month, and I can get the ball rolling on the "official" announcement on our channel.

Omigosh! Lindsey!!!! I love your videos! I just subscribed to you on youtube and check your channel everyday for more videos :) Please keep it up, you two are so funny and sweet together. I just adore your commentary!

I subscribed to your YouTube channel and I loved the one hour special. I can't wait to see how this contest turns out.

Omigosh! Lindsey!!!! I love your videos! I just subscribed to you on youtube and check your channel everyday for more videos :) Please keep it up, you two are so funny and sweet together. I just adore your commentary!
Thank you so much! That is so nice of you :) We will try our best to make our videos better from here on out^^

I subscribed to your YouTube channel and I loved the one hour special. I can't wait to see how this contest turns out.
Thank you!! I hope it goes really well, but it's hard to foresee how people will take it. I want to do it as fairly as possible, with the people who end up winning to really enjoy it. Hopefully there will not be any cheaters or bad spirited people participating, cause if it goes well I would love to do it multiple times :)

Considering the time difference it might be a good idea to do the contest on the weekend.

Thinking ahead, perhaps later doing subscriber town visits via the Dream Mansion.

Omg I love you guys

I am totally participating in this, visiting your town would be a dream come true!
It's perfect Lindsey!

That is a really good point. Maybe something like "account older than 1/10/13" although that is oddly specific haha.
Though, having it exclusive to TBT only is unfair, considering you have 4,091 subscribers as of now and there are only 910 active members of TBT. Which means people subscribed to your channel wouldn't be able to join the contest if you make it so you have to have an account before 1/10.

Back